Those with parkway sg

ADS

Aurezalia

Really, it isn't? What are the rules for it? What's the reasoning behind it?

I think she means little booster riders, under 40lbs, that we put in TB's instead, for example. The real light-weights. The ASC is really only needed for booster riders under 40lbs, and yet that's the PW's minimum weight. It's really just a marketing gimmick, in my mind.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think she means little booster riders, under 40lbs, that we put in TB's instead, for example. The real light-weights. The ASC is really only needed for booster riders under 40lbs, and yet that's the PW's minimum weight. It's really just a marketing gimmick, in my mind.

Oh, I gotcha. I thought Britax had some weird rule.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant!

kidzndogz

I am not really concerned with comfort when it comes to safety..

But you didn't want to buy the Scenera for your friend's kid because it wasn't as pretty and padded as more expensive ones? :shrug-shoulders:

A kid has to be comfortable in a booster or they are going to contort in ways that feel better to them.

And as Maedze said, with an average sized 6.5 year old, submarining isn't much of an issue. He'll be fine.

Maedze

Yeah, Britax eliminated the kids who actually might have benefited from the clip (the 30-40 pounds who are older, 5,6, 7 years old). So now, it's a gimmick for parents who don't really get it.

Splash

I am an adult. A grown woman with logic, reasoning, understanding, and the ability to make educated choices about my life and death. I know how to keep myself safe and know the consequences of choosing not to do so.
And you know what I did yesterday? I was in so.much.pain. that I unbuckled, on the interstate at 70mph, and turned completely around in my seat and sat backwards, leaning against the dash and thus the airbag. And I knew, 100%, that in a wreck I would almost certainly die, but I was so uncomfortable that I made the educated choice that the slim risk of a wreck was a chance I was willing to take because it was hurting so much in my current position.
So if I, as an adult with full understanding of the scope, am willing to do something THAT disastrous to escape an uncomfortable situation, I guarantee you that a 6 year old uncomfortable in his seat is going to wiggle and jiggle in any way possible to get into a more comfortable position.

Safe is important, comfort is equally important. Regardless of how fabulous a seat is or how safe or how awesome it fits my car, I would not use a seat that my child was uncomfortable in.

The best seat fits your car, fits your child, and will be used correctly every time. A seat that hurts a child does NOT fit the child and will NOT be used correctly every time. Ergo, it is no longer a safe option.

Baylor

But you didn't want to buy the Scenera for your friend's kid because it wasn't as pretty and padded as more expensive ones? :shrug-shoulders:

A kid has to be comfortable in a booster or they are going to contort in ways that feel better to them.

And as Maedze said, with an average sized 6.5 year old, submarining isn't much of an issue. He'll be fine.

You don't know he will be fine. That is really not okay to say.. As to just brush off how I feel about keeping my kids safe.. I am in charge of their safety. you don't want to use it fine, but If I do what the heck is wrong with that. My son is skinny and I feel like he will be safer and take away chance of submarining what is the big deal. I know there are adults who have submarined under a belt and been injured. So really while I appreciate the comments... I don't see why it always has to come down to snarky comments.

Baylor

I am an adult. A grown woman with logic, reasoning, understanding, and the ability to make educated choices about my life and death. I know how to keep myself safe and know the consequences of choosing not to do so.
And you know what I did yesterday? I was in so.much.pain. that I unbuckled, on the interstate at 70mph, and turned completely around in my seat and sat backwards, leaning against the dash and thus the airbag. And I knew, 100%, that in a wreck I would almost certainly die, but I was so uncomfortable that I made the educated choice that the slim risk of a wreck was a chance I was willing to take because it was hurting so much in my current position.
So if I, as an adult with full understanding of the scope, am willing to do something THAT disastrous to escape an uncomfortable situation, I guarantee you that a 6 year old uncomfortable in his seat is going to wiggle and jiggle in any way possible to get into a more comfortable position.

Safe is important, comfort is equally important. Regardless of how fabulous a seat is or how safe or how awesome it fits my car, I would not use a seat that my child was uncomfortable in.

The best seat fits your car, fits your child, and will be used correctly every time. A seat that hurts a child does NOT fit the child and will NOT be used correctly every time. Ergo, it is no longer a safe option.

While that may be true for you, It is not true for my child. My child is a good sitter and just accepts his restraints in the car. I never thought that saying I wanted to use a safe booster with a crotch clip would ever become such nonsense..

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Thanks for the illustration of how important comfort can be.

My husband uses a seatbelt extender when he is a passenger in our truck. Technically, he doesn't need it because he can get the seatbelt buckled without it - but he can only move a few inches before it switches to ALR mode. And that results in having to unbuckle to switch the belt back to ELR mode - it's not comfortable to ride with a seatbelt in ALR mode.

I would and have switched seats for my kids over comfort. My daughter clearly told me she preferred one seat over another and was obviously uncomfortable when placed in the one seat, so I switched it out.

It is good to keep our kids as safe as possible, but not at the expense of them being uncomfortable when something can easily be done to change the situation. There are things that can't be compromised on - like using a booster, and things that can be - such as which booster and whether an optional feature is used or not.

My first question when I started having dd sit in boosters in stores, was "how does it feel, is it comfortable?" and I used her feedback to decide which booster to try in the car first. I wouldn't have bought it if it had a poor seatbelt fit, but between 2 boosters with good belt fit, I would buy the more comfortable one every single time.

When it comes to safety it can be difficult to know what to take a hard line on and what to be flexible on, but as kids get older I am a strong believer that by allowing them to feel that their voice is heard and that they've had some input in a decision, you are going to get the highest level of cooperation and compliance - and in a booster seat those are things that are extremely important to their safety. :thumbsup:

pepsicola

You don't know he will be fine. That is really not okay to say.. As to just brush off how I feel about keeping my kids safe.. I am in charge of their safety. you don't want to use it fine, but If I do what the heck is wrong with that. My son is skinny and I feel like he will be safer and take away chance of submarining what is the big deal. I know there are adults who have submarined under a belt and been injured. So really while I appreciate the comments... I don't see why it always has to come down to snarky comments.

I have to agree with this. When other members go overboard with safety concerns they get reassurance. Baylor gets ridicule.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No one is snarking her choice. I harnessed my own child past her seventh birthday, and I know plenty of others who do extended harnessing. The snark, which seems pretty mild, is probably because for as long as she's been posting, her posts have implied (and sometimes outright stated) that a regular booster is not safe enough for a 6.5yo 50+# child -- that's it's so unsafe that the child's comfort should be disregarded.

honeydew

Baylor,

I'm confused as to why you continue to post on this board. You spend a lot of time asking questions and then you argue with the statistic based information that the Technicians and other well-experienced posters offer.

Are you a lawyer, by chance?

hrice

Baylor, I get that you want your kids to be as safe as possible. So do the CPSTs on this site that are telling you there is absolutely no reason to use the SG clip for your son. And I agree!

If it is hurting him I would definately not make him use it. You don't have testacles and have no idea how uncomfortable that would be. How would you feel if you were made to wear clamps on your nipples every time you got in a vehicle? Just sayin...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Also, both crash tests and real life show that kids really will be ok in boosters without crotch straps. In fact, it's the opposite of what Baylor is thinking. We don't know that the SG does anything at all. But we do know that a properly fitting booster will, can, and does save lives.

Wendy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As a general rule, better coupling to the vehicle is a good thing and more points of restraint accomplishes that. There may never be any data to prove a 4-point booster is superior to a 3-point booster system. The same type of debate can be made for putting older kids in a booster vs. a 5-point harness.

Keep in mind that the secure guard clip is not only for reducing the risk of submarining. It is also to help keep the lap belt positioned correctly. A poorly positioned lap belt can lead to serious seatbelt syndrome injuries to the abdomen, even if sliding under the belt is not likely.

I think it is a very good feature for many parents. It can help keep the lap belt positioned lower, where it should be. For advocates and parents who know how to make sure of a good lap/shoulder belt fit, then it really isn't necessary. It's not unlike the Click & Safe feature; great for people who don't know any better or don't care or don't have the time, but not necessary for those that do. Given the levels of misuse we see, even with boosters, any feature that can help parents get it right is a good thing.

SignCuer

Thought I would add my 2 cents.. :)

I have a 6.5 and 8.5 year old cousins... Both of them are still harnessed in my car.. one in Frontier85 and other in Nautilus due to not learning how to properly sit in my car before.. I have started booster training them (ironically, they prefer their harnessed seats :p)

However they have been sitting in boosters (Graco HB TB)... and they do fine in it and know how to sit properly in them (finally! :D)

They have Britax Parkways in their regular car with their parents (provided by me) and they hate the SG clip because they said it was uncomfortable, more than the harnessed seats. They sit just fine in them... They know how to sit properly and they are average-long torsoed kids.. It doesn't just hurts boys but girls as well.. If your son doesn't like it, trust me he will find a way to get rid of it whether he listens to you or not.. Kids are like that way.. He would not be doing it in disobedience or anything.. it's just uncomfortable.. I would rather see them sitting properly and comfortable than not sitting properly and uncomfortable.. The other techs and people have said things that I would have said :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yeah, Britax eliminated the kids who actually might have benefited from the clip (the 30-40 pounds who are older, 5,6, 7 years old). So now, it's a gimmick for parents who don't really get it.

To give Britax some credit, I'd much rather see a 40 pound minimum than a 30 pound minimum for any booster. I'd think those light weight older kids have a better chance of being secured properly in a booster without the clip than the 2-3 year olds who are over 30 pounds would have in any booster.

Most manufacturers have accepted the 1 year AND 20 pound minimum for front-facing. It doesn't seem to be too confusing for parents. Perhaps a 4 years OR 40 pound minimum would be useful for boosters?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
As far as actual statistics are concerned, I'm not sure if they exist.

I'm pretty sure you're right.

Frankly, your kid is more likely to get struck by a falling cow than he is to submarine out of a booster.

Please cite your source. I'd bet real money that the reverse is true. I live in a state with approximately 3.85 million cows (vs just over 3 million people), and I bet my child is more likely to submarine out of a booster than he is to get struck by a cow. I doubt either of us could prove it one way or the other, though.

I am not really concerned with comfort when it comes to safety.

Isn't it amazing how people latch on to ONE, offhand, insignificant comment and turn you into a child torturer? I'm less concerned with comfort than I am with safety, but I do consider both. My kid might be more comfortable sleeping lying down in the car, but that's not safe, so obviously, I make her use a booster. I thought your meaning was self evident, and those who are choosing to misconstrue your words aren't going to be persuaded otherwise, no matter what you say, so you may as well ignore them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC