Those with parkway sg

dawnp15

I do. It's constructive, I promise.

Before I took the CPST class, I was what some might call overzealous :eek: I was one of the people who thought Britax was best and putting your kid in a scenera was not to care about him/her. I went into the CPST class with this attitude and it was NOT well received. And I was told something on the first day of class, that completely changed what kind of tech I am and how I look at my role:

We cannot ever make parents feel like their best is not enough. Not everyone can afford the fanciest seat with the newest features. If you can, and you want to, that's fine, but to represent to others that this is 'best' makes them feel inadequate that they are unable to provide the fanciest seats to their children - at which point they might just decide it's too expensive to do it 'your' way and they can't do it and they'll just go back to using their garage sale shield booster, since clearly their best efforts won't be good enough anyways. We don't want that. The goal of any car seat education is for the child to leave safER than he/she was before. If the best a parent can do is FF their two year old in a cosco hbb provided by the state? Still better than the expired, recalled shield booster he rode in in. Our goal here at c-s.org is to help everyone within the constraints of their situation, to present best practice (which is, by definition, to use the seat that fits your car, fits your child, and that you can use correctly every time) and then allow parents to make choices, guilt-free, within (or outside - they are the parents) those constraints. Sometimes parents don't choose best practice. You have to pick your battles or they'll write off *everything* you say - and better for them to stick around and learn about ERF than to run off feeling inferior and guilty about not using the slideguard clip - kwim?

I think some of us get so excited about doing the absolute *best* thing when we first learn about child passenger safety, that we forget that our primary goal is to educate and improve the safety of the general public, that not everyone can afford the same things, and that what we say with regards to our own situations can be applied by anyone reading to *their* situations. There is no best car seat. As long as you are using the car seat within the manufacturer's guidelines and according to best practice, your child is safe. The last thing we want is for anyone to feel like because they can't go *all the way* like some do, that car seat safety is not a topic applicable to their lives.

Very well said :thumbsup:

ADS

Baylor

This is just my experience with the Pkwy. SG and SGL, neither seats fit my boys properly. They hit both of them way too high on their stomachs, the only way I would have used that seat was with the clip. I don't think it should be necessary to have a clip to properly fit my boys. I chose boosters that properly fit my boys the way they were meant to, with just a seatbelt.

What were your favorite boosters? And thanks!

mlohry

The only high back booster that fits my boys properly is the Graco Turbobooster. I have tried the Monterey, the Pkwy SG and SGL, the Evenflo high back, the Cosco boosters. My oldest just moved into the Evenflo Big Kid Amp and I love that too, but it only comes in a no back.

Baylor

The only high back booster that fits my boys properly is the Graco Turbobooster. I have tried the Monterey, the Pkwy SG and SGL, the Evenflo high back, the Cosco boosters. My oldest just moved into the Evenflo Big Kid Amp and I love that too, but it only comes in a no back.

I find it so fascinating that some boosters are better fits for some kids than others. I tell everyone I know now not to buy car seats without trying them out first. I still have my heart set on the SG because of the crotch strap but I am going to try a few options..

hrice

I would rather get a booster with LATCH than a crotch strap. The likelyhood of forgetting to rebuckle the booster after your child gets out and it becoming a projectile in a crash is much greater than the (slim almost none) chance of your 6 year old submarining.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I find it so fascinating that some boosters are better fits for some kids than others.

People, including kids, come in different shapes. Different companies use different shaped fit models.

Lee jeans fit me well; Levi's do not. My daughter loves her Stride Rite mocs but Merrell mocs hurt her feet.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I would rather get a booster with LATCH than a crotch strap. The likelyhood of forgetting to rebuckle the booster after your child gets out and it becoming a projectile in a crash is much greater than the (slim almost none) chance of your 6 year old submarining.

But for most parents, completely submarining under the lap belt is not the main concern. The concern is correct fit of the lap belt. Even a child who is slouching, has a loose/high lap belt or has their hips move forward somewhat in a crash is subject to severe adominal injuries related to seatbelt syndrome. These are not rare, they happen (even to adults) and they are very serious. This is also a main reason why we encourage boosters and lap/shoulder belts in the first place. Correct adjustment of the secure guard clip can help a child to get it right themselves and keep the lap belt low, where it should be.

As I said before, it's not a necessary feature if you're an advocate or a tech and have taught your child how to make the belt fit right or if you put the child in the booster yourself. But, unfortunately, that doesn't apply to a lot of kids who ride in poorly fit booster seats.

scatterbunny

I remember a thread from awhile back, posted by Melneimi, IIRC, about her son submarining while riding in a highback booster when she had to come to a sudden stop. I hope I'm remembering the details right. Her son was an appropriate age and size for the booster he was using (and I want to say it was an old-style Parkway, but I could be mistaken).

We may not have an epidemic of children riding in boosters who are also submarining, but we shouldn't need an epidemic before it is considered a worthy concern, either.

scatterbunny

I couldn't let this go without digging up the old thread...it's three years old, and I misremembered what booster the child was using (it was a TurboBooster, not an old-style Parkway), but essentially I was correct: a 7yo boy was properly using an appropriately-fitting booster, the vehicle came to a sudden stop (due to deer in the road), the boy slid very far forward (under the lap belt).

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=31658&highlight=submarining

Baylor

I couldn't let this go without digging up the old thread...it's three years old, and I misremembered what booster the child was using (it was a TurboBooster, not an old-style Parkway), but essentially I was correct: a 7yo boy was properly using an appropriately-fitting booster, the vehicle came to a sudden stop (due to deer in the road), the boy slid very far forward (under the lap belt).

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=31658&highlight=submarining

Thanks for finding the thread, I was searching for it to find the particulars and could not.

Baylor

Me too. Everyone is so mean to you, I'm impressed that you didn't throw in the towel (and toss the car seat with it) after day one.

After all, you and I should be clear rivals going back 100 years.

A&M vs Baylor

That is awesome!! I was born in Baylor Medical Center in Dallas... Hence the nickname.. I had a little badge on my bassinet that said " Im a Baylorbaby!!

I read a little but can not wait to read through the rest of that blog!!

I can handle a little rivalry.. After all I am a Dallas Cowboys fan living with lots of Eagles fans.. Heaven help me.. If I can take Eagles fans, I can take anything...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Me too. Everyone is so mean to you, I'm impressed that you didn't throw in the towel (and toss the car seat with it) after day one.

Thank you. Ultimately, we will issue infractions and bans without warning for people who continue to stalk and bully other members with mean and argumentative responses, even if no single post is necessarily beyond the guidelines for behavior. Yeah, it may seem funny to joke about the ignore feature and how to find it, but actually using it and not participating in such threads is probably the only way a few people will be able to avoid community forum bans in the future.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC