Oregon meets Foonf.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Sally, if BBB at Easton doesn't have it, I just found a store at Polaris that I think will. We'll have to make a plan to go!

ADS

Adorkable

lol stop making me want this seat!!! I just ordered 2 radians for my twins but i want the foonf. I just dont have an extra $500 to buy 2 of them. It was $495 for 2 radian RXTs. If i could win one then i could do it:ROTFLMAO:
Maybe for the new baby at next years tax time.

i hear you, for my twins, i am about to return my 2 radians i just recently got (to move to from their infant seats) and hate so i can preorder 2 Foonfs. and just yesterday I picked up two used Britexs to hold me over till June. my twins are going to be thinking I'm nuts for the all the carseat changes they will have this year!

I'm not sure where you're seeing it for $425. The absolute cheapest I'm seeing is $450. AlbeeBaby has it for $499.

i called Albeebaby and asked/pointed out that they were over pricing the seats and was it a typo that all models were 499, they said yes IT WAS! and have changed the prices now to match MSRP (450,475 & 500) on a side note, i wonder if anyone reordered them at the higher price? was i really the only one that thought it was crazy they were pricing them like they were?

bubbaray

I would totally get a Foonf if my kids were younger. I don't think it blocks my view more than any other seat. I would install it drivers side outboard and call it a day. I think once you are used to having tall people in your back row and using mirrors and backup cameras, it wouldn't be a big deal.

I absolutely LOVE the cover in pink. LOVE IT. Of course, I just purchased my youngest a HBB tonight, so we've officially moved beyond the Foonf stage.

Waiiiiittt, was that a twinge in my ovary. Ack, no. DONE DONE DONE.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
i hear you, for my twins, i am about to return my 2 radians i just recently got (to move to from their infant seats) and hate so i can preorder 2 Foonfs. and just yesterday I picked up two used Britexs to hold me over till June. my twins are going to be thinking I'm nuts for the all the carseat changes they will have this year!

Used....seats?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The features do look awesome. And I don't doubt they put a lot of time and money into designing and testing the seat. But I just can't justify $450-500 for a seat. It's going to be such a niche thing. Yeah, people like us will shell out that much. Maybe even celebrities if it gets marketed and talked up as "the" thing to have (hello, Orbit). But Joe Schmoe average parent?

At some point, I have to wonder where the break even point is. Charge an exorbitant amount (probably well over what it costs to make one seat, though I have no proof) and sell a few (ten, twenty, whatever thousand)? Or charge closer to the production price, advertise and make more readily available (in stores, not just the high end ones) and sell many more?

I work at BRU and have had a customer asking about the Foonf already. I think anyone who is already looking at spending close to $400 on a seat already isn't going to really blink about spending an extra $50 when it's broke down over the life of the seat. I've seen people go from planning to spend $160 on a seat to deciding they want a Britax seat - which is a whole lot more than $50 extra.

From everything I've heard about this seat, it is going to be worth every single penny.

I'm also rather puzzled by the complaints about blocking of the back window. Losing the ability to shoulder check would take some getting used to and I could see it leading me to have it on a specific side of the vehicle, but I've towed a trailer before and there is no adequate shoulder checking with something like that - you have to rely on your side mirrors. I think that a lot of time people don't learn to adjust those side mirrors and it makes them more dependent on the rear view mirror than need be.

I'm excited to meeet a Foonf in person. I'm hoping it makes a tour through my city. :D

kutase

Would having the seat behind the driver's seat solve the blocking problem? Would it limit the driver's leg room for rear facing in full recline (we have a small car - Mazda protege 5 hatchback (2002) and DH is 6'2".

Also, I know it depends on the child's development... but how many years do you think this seat will last if we start at the minimal age/weight/height limit - 5 years? If so, $100/yr is not bad... less than $10 a month.

We are expecting our first child in August, so I know we're not ready for this seat yet, but since I was debating whether to get an infant seat or get a convertible from the beginning, I may be tempted to get an infant seat for the first year or so (if it lasts that long), then get this as our next seat!

mom2boysrzc

My friend showed me this seat today and I am obsessed with it. I'm trying to figure out, though, if I need to spend that much more than a Radian RXT.

Thoughts?

arly1983

All I can say after seeing it is... It's worth the price. Whether or not you can justify the price for your family is separate. To be clear, I'm saying nothing about safety. The seat materials rival a vehicle seat. The bottom piece came off and the padding is similar to that in a vehicle, in other words it's not cheap cotton. Crypton isn't cheap either. All the metal in the seat, magnesium... Cell technology materials. I can understand the price.
I don't know that I'm willing to pay the price yet. But I understand it. After I see the results of testing I'll make my personal choice if I can justify the price tag.

Everytime I read "Crypton", I see "Krypton" and it makes me giggle. Appriopriate, I guess, since it is the home of Superman. :D

Phineasmama

I really hope you know and trust the person you got those used seats from. Otherwise you should stop using them immediately! It would be so much better to buy two new Sceneras at Wal Mart than 2 used Britaxes that you don't know the history of.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
He's 20 months old, 30 lbs fully clothed. His height is in his torso (3T shirts/24 month pants). I drive a Toyota Sienna with captain's chairs.

He would fit fine in a regular car seat, for a long time. But hey, I buy seats because I like the features. So, when this comes out, go play with one. Try it in your van, and see what you think. I think it would fit great in your van.

lyn_ak

I'm also rather puzzled by the complaints about blocking of the back window. Losing the ability to shoulder check would take some getting used to and I could see it leading me to have it on a specific side of the vehicle, but I've towed a trailer before and there is no adequate shoulder checking with something like that - you have to rely on your side mirrors. I think that a lot of time people don't learn to adjust those side mirrors and it makes them more dependent on the rear view mirror than need be.

I'm excited to meeet a Foonf in person. I'm hoping it makes a tour through my city. :D

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread BUT...

I can't agree.

As a basic (and CDL) driver examiner, I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to yell STOP at a driver wanting to pull out of a parking spot into traffic by just checking mirrors and not window checking. Last week twice in one test. Unless you have installed extra mirrors (as you should do if you are towing a wide trailer), there is no way you can adequately check blindspots with properly adjusted mirrors only.
That's a deal breaker to me. Very dissapointing.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread BUT...

I can't agree.

As a basic (and CDL) driver examiner, I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to yell STOP at a driver wanting to pull out of a parking spot into traffic by just checking mirrors and not window checking. Last week twice in one test. Unless you have installed extra mirrors (as you should do if you are towing a wide trailer), there is no way you can adequately check blindspots with properly adjusted mirrors only.
That's a deal breaker to me. Very dissapointing.

I can't window check in the fire trucks.

ETA: and really, what do you plan to do when you have 3 adult sized bodies in the back seat?

S1C EM

Okay, I'm a car-seat technology dad....I actually like these things and don't so much put a price limit on my kids' safety. That being said, our 10 month old daughter will need to transition from her RF carrier/car-seat to a convertible car-seat pretty soon and the Foonf has caught my attention. I see a few issues that I'm curious about though.

First, I just bought a 2012 Kia Rio SX, so my rear seat room is a little limited. My wife has an Odyssey, so pretty much anything will fit in it, but I have to be more selective. I can say for certain that if the only way this seat will fit into a small car is with the back in a straight-up position, that's a deal breaker. The only way that should ever be an option, IMHO, is if the child in question never falls asleep in the car (and I've yet to meet one who didn't). This seating position is a bit precarious at best once a child falls asleep as it leaves their head and neck to simply "slosh" around in the seat. We have a Britax Boulevard that our son used that has been a disappointment because of this problem. It simply sits a small child too upright. There needs to be a good recline to keep a little one's head and neck well situated. So, for anyone who has seen the Foonf, would it fit RECLINED in the back of that Honda Civic as pictured?

Secondly, the thing looks too big and obstructive. It would have to be in an outboard position in my car, so it may not be an issue....but I'm not sure.

I have to say, we have a First Years True Fit that my almost 5-year-old son still uses today and is a great seat, even in a RF installation with a small child. How will this thing compare? Are there other seats that I should consider (given that, while price isn't going to prevent me from getting what I feel most comfortable with, $400+ is a lot of money)?

S1C EM

Okay, I'm a car-seat technology dad....I actually like these things and don't so much put a price limit on my kids' safety. That being said, our 10 month old daughter will need to transition from her RF carrier/car-seat to a convertible car-seat pretty soon and the Foonf has caught my attention. I see a few issues that I'm curious about though.

And yes, I AM talking about transitioning to a RF position in any new seat....just FYI, before I get hate mail.

One other thing to consider is what convertible will give me the longest use/highest weight limit once it does shift to FF?

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC