You know you are addicted to Car Seats when..............

cpsaddict

When you can tell what car seat a child is using as you pass them going 80 on the interstate.

When you can see a car drive by and know that the handle of the infant seat is up(and what car seat it is just by looking at the handle), even though you only saw the car for 5 seconds.

Yes! That's me. We're driving four hours to SO's parents this weekend and I am looking forward to seeing what flies past me, although I am horrified half the time when I do see something!

ADS

sb518

*When you want to print this whole thread because it makes you laugh

*When you know what kind of seats all the cartoon characters sit in

Maggie from the Simpsons (NOT RF'ing!)
Caillou
DW and Kate from Arthur

:whistle:

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
When you go shopping with a fellow carseat nut and peruse the carseat aisles... the minute you see parents shopping for a seat, you and your friend start a discussion conveniently stating you are a tech loud enough for any and all parents in said vicinity to hear. They then proceed over to you for advice and help! Yay!!! :D Is there any better way to spend an afternoon?

You and a friend get KICKED out of BRU because you're making the employees nervous by talking to parents:whistle:

kfischer

When you daydream about winning the lottery so you can buy 5 more Regents so both boys have one each in both your cars and in your mom's car. And then think, well if I win the lottery, I could also get them for the niece and the 4 nephews. And my friend's little girl. Oh and my cousin's little girl. That's an even dozen...But the neighbor has 3 kids...

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
When you daydream about winning the lottery so you can buy 5 more Regents so both boys have one each in both your cars and in your mom's car. And then think, well if I win the lottery, I could also get them for the niece and the 4 nephews. And my friend's little girl. Oh and my cousin's little girl. That's an even dozen...But the neighbor has 3 kids...

LOL! I don't even need to win the lottery. I make about $200 a paycheck and $100 of that needs to go to my car payment. The other $100 this paycheck I'm thinking I'm going to buy the pastor's family a new seat:whistle:

JaRylan

Um, I technically have 9+ seats, but didn't want to sound like a carseat hoarder! :whistle: (I only have 2 kids and never transport other kids. :rolleyes:)

LOL, a hoarder...I think on this board it can never be considered hoarding.

When you announce your 3rd pregnancy at a check event before you tell your family.

When you talk your best friend into becoming a tech.

When you talk your mom into it too,

Oh, and your dad,

and your spouse.

When you take 3 kids and 9 car seats over to Julie's house for a play date.

When you and Julie spend a couple of hours on 90+ degree day trying to put 5 kids in car seats in her Odyssey, all so you can drive a mile away to the grocery store for root beer and ice cream. ( Because it would just be WAY too easy for one of us to just stay put with the kiddos while the other went to the store)

When you take a day off of your paying job (doing car seat checks) to go do them for free!

When you justify driving 4 hours to buy a Radian by doing car seat checks at the store where you bought it.

When your kids know more about car safety than the pediatrician.

Kimberly

That is hilarious and sooo cool that you have a family of techs! Way to go!

After having taught an 8 hr class, you are sitting around exhasted on the floor on an Evenflo Chase with your feet up on an over-turned (crashed) Century Infant seat, when the cat wanders by, so, for reasons that escape me now, but seemed perfectly logical at the moment, you turn the infant seat over, grab the cat, and buckle him up and take pictures.

Kimberly

The really funny thing was that the cat didn't mind at all. He purred the whole time.

Then, to top it all off,my mom walked in, say what i was doing, and announced that I should put him in a convertable instead because he is at least 5 lbs over the limit of the infant seat.

Kimberly

You'd better buckle him up in a convertible and take him to a gym with a treadmill. ;)

littleangelfire

*when you're so busy looking at your new seats in the rearview mirror that you're almost forget your driving :whistle:

OMG! For weeks after the CPST at Children's Mercy gave me the Britax MArathon they used for training (made in 2003) I did this...and its not even new!!! I kept asking my son "is it comfy? Do you like your new seat? Isn't the cover with the doggy prints COOL!?"

And my mom now thinks its odd (though convenient) that I put the Marathon into her car every Sunday when we drive together to church. She has an Evenflo Chase in there, and he always falls asleep on the way home. He can't sleep in that thing so I change them around. :)

harnessed4ever

- When you have an extra husky sittling in the back of your car so your dd's friends stay harnessed in your car.
- when you have equiped 4 point seat belts on every seat in the car
- When your dd is so well trained to strap in, it's impulsive no matter what
- When you change your office time waster from solitare, to forums LOL

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
When you have a Radian for a DBK (Darling Borrowed Kid), just so you can play with a car seat any time you want!

MumtotinyM

~When your 6 year old starts lecturing people in BRUS about car seat safety
~When you almost rear end someone because you are busy looking at the small unrestrained child in the car beside you
~When someone you know buys a new seat and you are more excited about it then them

ThreeBeans

-When the opening credits to Simpsons or Caillou make you cry in pain

-When, regardless of the errand you are running, the time frame you are working with, or how annoyed your DH is, you ALWAYS go to the carseat aisle of every store to pat and stare.

-When you can identify carseats through windows. On the highway. Going 70mph.

-When you gently critique friends' registry lists for their baby showers

-When you get phone calls from strangers hoping for suggestions, because your friends have told their friends you're a bit of a nut

-When your DH drags you away from impromptu yard saling because he doesn't want to hear you ***** about the expired seat you saw

-When you occasionally wander into the garage to admire your 3-across install job for a few minutes until the kids get fractious

-When you check your email compulsively every 5 minutes to see if you got into the tech class you applied for half an hour ago :eek:

harnessed4ever

- When your, used to be 9 year old, would tell you your seatbelt was twisted

- When you let your DH do the shopping so you and your DD's can play with the carseats.
-when you install 3 across just for the fun of it

-when you use that three across as a meeting and chat area for you and your DD's.(I really think this is great: I had three across and wanted to just sit around and talk with my DD's, so instead of going into the living room, we went out to the garage and strapped ourselves in. Even though Helena is the only one who fits her harness, Lyra and I are only about an inch too tall to use them+weight, we had a blast. If you can almost fit into your child's husky, this is a great way to sit down and relax with your DDs or DSs)

-When you strap yourself into your child's harness and throw yourself back and forth to make sure the seat is installed propperly.

Last edited:

harnessed4ever

Yeah. I had such a fun time last night. A close family friend was trying to sell his car seats (3 kids 3 cars all going through huskies and regents) So he had 4 huskies and 2 regents for sale, in their original boxes(they had been used of course but he was showing how little). I asked how much and he said for $500 I could take everything. 6 JUMBO CAR SEATS!!!!!!!! That means spares for like every car the kids ever ride in!!!! Lyra, though she's 13 and doesn't fit anymore, ws super excited. Sometimes she has friends come over and play in the 2 we already had. Now we had 8 so she invited all her friends who were in town. over to our house. Here's what we did. I anchored a Husky/Regent to every seat in the mini-van we don't use very often, even mine. And taped blackout curtains on all the windows, except the front, and hung a drape between the rear and the front. It was almost pitch black back there. Plus I had a buch of gaming headsets that my office was about to throw away (don't ask why they had them in the first place) and we hooked those up to walkie talkies. So see this: a darkened out back of a mini-van with 5, 13 year old girls strapped into huskies (only one is actually short enough to porpperly fit in one) and me and Lyra in our regents in the frontseat (that's right, I can almost fit). I managed to wire my laptops soundcard up to the car's stereo and had Lyra operating Microsoft Flight Simulator on it. We have a stretch of about 100 yards straightaway road that's marked PRIVATE only because no one uses it. So there we are providing G effects (20 mph was my max for impropper restraints). Lyra and I had one great time strapping them into the seats, we managed between the two of us, to get 5 kids strapped in in 20 seconds. We had such a blast "radioing" each other on the headsets and feeling as though we really were in the beechcraft I had Lyra flying. If you ever have surplus seats and a stretch of road that you know is safe to use with no one on it. This is the greatest party you can have with your kids.

lovinwaves

Yeah. I had such a fun time last night. A close family friend was trying to sell his car seats (3 kids 3 cars all going through huskies and regents) So he had 4 huskies and 2 regents for sale, in their original boxes(they had been used of course but he was showing how little). I asked how much and he said for $500 I could take everything. 6 JUMBO CAR SEATS!!!!!!!! That means spares for like every car the kids ever ride in!!!! Lyra, though she's 13 and doesn't fit anymore, ws super excited. Sometimes she has friends come over and play in the 2 we already had. Now we had 8 so she invited all her friends who were in town. over to our house. Here's what we did. I anchored a Husky/Regent to every seat in the mini-van we don't use very often, even mine. And taped blackout curtains on all the windows, except the front, and hung a drape between the rear and the front. It was almost pitch black back there. Plus I had a buch of gaming headsets that my office was about to throw away (don't ask why they had them in the first place) and we hooked those up to walkie talkies. So see this: a darkened out back of a mini-van with 5, 13 year old girls strapped into huskies (only one is actually short enough to porpperly fit in one) and me and Lyra in our regents in the frontseat (that's right, I can almost fit). I managed to wire my laptops soundcard up to the car's stereo and had Lyra operating Microsoft Flight Simulator on it. We have a stretch of about 100 yards straightaway road that's marked PRIVATE only because no one uses it. So there we are providing G effects (20 mph was my max for impropper restraints). Lyra and I had one great time strapping them into the seats, we managed between the two of us, to get 5 kids strapped in in 20 seconds. We had such a blast "radioing" each other on the headsets and feeling as though we really were in the beechcraft I had Lyra flying. If you ever have surplus seats and a stretch of road that you know is safe to use with no one on it. This is the greatest party you can have with your kids.

I'm sorry..I must be missing something here. Your story is a bit odd....

How did you get 3 Regents/Huskys to fit across the third row :confused:

It is never advisable to "Play" in a seat that is still be used for restraining.

It is also very unsafe to be driving your car with improperly restrained passengers going up to 20mph.

And "Providing G-effects" sounds extremely unsafe as well.... This is just not something to be posting on a "SAFETY" related forum...

Morganthe

Now we had 8 so she invited all her friends who were in town. over to our house. Here's what we did. I anchored a Husky/Regent to every seat in the mini-van we don't use very often, even mine. And taped blackout curtains on all the windows, except the front, and hung a drape between the rear and the front. It was almost pitch black back there.
Plus I had a buch of gaming headsets that my office was about to throw away (don't ask why they had them in the first place) and we hooked those up to walkie talkies.

So see this: a darkened out back of a mini-van with 5, 13 year old girls strapped into huskies (only one is actually short enough to porpperly fit in one) and me and Lyra in our regents in the frontseat (that's right, I can almost fit). I managed to wire my laptops soundcard up to the car's stereo and had Lyra operating Microsoft Flight Simulator on it. We have a stretch of about 100 yards straightaway road that's marked PRIVATE only because no one uses it.

So there we are providing G effects (20 mph was my max for impropper restraints). Lyra and I had one great time strapping them into the seats, we managed between the two of us, to get 5 kids strapped in in 20 seconds.

We had such a blast "radioing" each other on the headsets and feeling as though we really were in the beechcraft I had Lyra flying. If you ever have surplus seats and a stretch of road that you know is safe to use with no one on it. This is the greatest party you can have with your kids.

So basically, you had 5 other girls that were not your daughters,
strapped in seats that were too small, and you were driving IN a REGENT with your own daughter in the front passenger seat in another carseat too small.

And then driving around at 20 mph without any visability because you had blacked out most of your windows. Then playing with the brakes for G-force effect. But only at 20 mph because YOU deemed this safe!

Don't you realize that crash tests are done at ONLY 10mph more than you were driving? Obviously, you have no clue about what you were doing. The whole scheme reeks of careless and dangerous actions.

In what world to you think you have the right to place someone's elses children in an unsafe situation for a "Party"?! Then you have the nerve to suggest this for fun on a carseat safety awareness forum?

I have not been thrilled about previous posts where you've advocated some really nutty ideas. This just goes beyond anything that I can tolerate. I hope those parents discover what you did with their daughters. Be honest and tell them. I'm sure they won't laugh one bit. :mad:

Honestly, I hope you're a troll and just trying to inflame or pull someone's leg on here. Because to think you actually did this is just plain wrong. :thumbsdown:

Oh and btw, I'm really really upset that this wonderfully fun thread is going to get derailed by the bragging of your idiotic actions! :( :crying:

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC