Turning DD FF

natysr

Look, I'm not saying I don't want her rear facing....I want her to be safe, I'm just so scared to get in the car and not have a full on view of her...

If I were to get the front air bag turned off...how would I go about doing that??

I know you just want to do the safest thing for your baby. I think everyone here understands your situation and is trying to give you the best possible advice.

Yes it is ideal to keep kids RF until at least 24 months, but all factors have to be weighed. Like in your situation. You need to be able to monitor her while you are on the road. Turning her FF is one way to be able to do that. And, if that is what you have to do, then, that is what you have to do.

But, I think some of the PPs came up with an even better alternative by recommending that you have the passenger side airbag deactivated and put her RF in the front seat. Not only can you see her, but she is also within arms reach and you can attend to her more quickly and safely.

I would start by calling the dealer and ask them if they are willing to deactive the airbag, and if they need any documentation from a doctor to do it.

ADS

Murphy's Law

I would definitely start trying to get someone to disable the airbag so you can leave her RF in the front seat. Just be aware that this process can be painfully long, or at least it was 5 years ago when I tried to have it done in my Jeep. I never did get any answers, despite my constant requests to the dealer. No one seemed to know how to help me and I was told repeatedly that for legal reasons they could do nothing. We ended up giving up our RA and started using a car bed and I had to be sure someone could be with me at all times to watch my son. It was less than ideal.

I hope you have better results than I did and I hope your little girl is doing well!

crunchierthanthou

yes, she is currently on an apnea monitor, and has been since 2 weeks old....but even with the apnea monitor I couldn't drive alone, because I didn't feel safe driving if she stopped breathing or had a bradycardia event if she was choking that I could SAFELY pull over and help her. We live in the Tacoma area of Washington, and you have to get on I5 for most everything....well I don't know if any of you have been on I5 but it's bumper to bumper all the time, and trying to pull off safely, while the monitor goes off, knowing that my child isn't breathing is to difficult......and she is coming off of the monitor soon...right now we are living in Anchorage, Alaska, because they have better medical care for her right now....but in May, after her 1st birthday, we will be heading back to Washington to live with my husband (her father). We need to be a family, he has only seen her about 2 months out of her life.... we did what we had to do in order to take the best care of her as possible....but now it's getting time to be a family......Look, I'm not saying I don't want her rear facing....I want her to be safe, I'm just so scared to get in the car and not have a full on view of her...

If I were to get the front air bag turned off...how would I go about doing that??

How is turning her ff or even moving her to the front seat any better than an apnea monitor? You still have to get pulled over quickly to attend to her. Like I said in the first response to this thread, I would petition NHTSA for a switch to disable the airbag. I think having her next to you is better than constantly watching the mirror as you drive (even with her ff).

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Hey, I actually drove on I5 just a few months ago! I agree - I wouldn't want to have to try to pull over in that traffic, either. I remember driving with my sons when their apnea monitors went off, and it was terrifying. And of course you need to be a family again, I'm sure everyone here understands that. :)

You seem really torn about which is the greater risk - turning her FF or not seeing her if she chokes. It's a tough decision, and unfortunately I don't think there is a definitive answer.

Would you feel better if she were ONLY FF when you were driving alone with her? Maybe you could have two carseats installed for her, one RF and one FF, so it would be easier to use the one you needed?

scuby20

well she won't be on the apnea monitor anymore when we move....so I'll be even more tense, because there will be nothing to tell me if she stops breathing or chokes.

I know you all are giving me good advise....I'm just so torn like you said.....I will definatly look into having the airbag in the front seat turned off.....we even contimplated trading it in for a truck where you can turn the passenger seat airbag off.....but one of my other thoughts had been to have 2 installed in the van, that way when I have to take her somewhere, she can FF, and I will try not to go to far. I live in an area where I won't have to get on I5 to much, and I'm trying to find her a pediatrician in our area that I wont have to get on I5 at all.....and then when my husband is there and can drive us, she can RF and I can sit in the back with her.
My friend just turned her son FF and he just turned a year, because we are all told, one year and 20 lbs.......she thinks I'm nuts for wanting her RF for longer.

Thanks for all your suggestions...I guess I'll call the local dealer down there and see if they will turn the passenger airbag off, or give me a way to turn it off when she is in the seat.

ThreeBeans

Thanks for all your suggestions...I guess I'll call the local dealer down there and see if they will turn the passenger airbag off, or give me a way to turn it off when she is in the seat.

They can't legally do it without the A-OK from NHTSA. That's where you need to start :)

Defrost

Why are they taking her off the apnea monitor? I refused to give my boys' monitors up until *I* was ready for them to be off it, and our ped always agreed with that. :confused:

katiesmommy

Hi, we used to live in Washington too. I know exactly what you're talking about with the 5. You so do not want to pull over there. Anyhow, my concern is that with her in the backseat, regardless of forward facing or rearfacing, you'd still have to pull over to attend to her. With her in the front seat, at least she's a bit closer, so if you can't get pulled over safely immediatly, you can still attend to you, kwim? Definitly contact NHTSA to find out about getting a petition.

scuby20

well, I think it's time for her to come off the monitor now too....probably in March they will take her off. it's mainly when she is sleeping that the issues happen with the apnea....and she is getting bigger and stronger, and moving around so much, that it can become more dangerous to have the cords there....and while I'm ready for her to come off....the car is a totally different thing lol....that scares me, because I won't be in the back seat with her, when it's just she and I driving somewhere.

I want to protect her as much as possible ya know....and her laryngomalacia still is an issue at this point, but thankfully things are all getting better.

I guess after having her go to the hospital 2x in an ambulance and seeing my mom breath into her just scares the crap out of me, not to be right there, ya know.

Defrost

I guess after having her go to the hospital 2x in an ambulance and seeing my mom breath into her just scares the crap out of me, not to be right there, ya know.

Yeah, I do know. (((hugs))) It's a really hard step to take when you've been through stuff like that. And you're not just losing the apnea monitor, you're losing the support of your parents as well. I bet it's hard to imagine that things will be okay without them after you've been able to rely on them for so long, even when you know in your heart it's the best decision for your family.

niccig

Here's the contact information for NHTSA
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.9fee1be6b2b2000bc22cf37490008a0c/

I would call, explain that you have a child with special needs, and you would like to shut off the front passenger airbag so she can ride there beside you so you can monitor her breathing. Then ask them what you need to do for that to happen.

It may take a few phone calls, but don't give up. Keep calling and making your way up the phone tree until you get someone to help.

I think having her beside you will make you feel much better - you can easily see what's going on and you can attend to her if necessary. If she's in the back, either FF or RF, it's much more difficult.

Nicci

ETA. If you call now, she's still under the limit for FF, so she has to be RF. Make it clear that you will be alone in the car with her, and won't be able to reach her in the back seat if she stops breathing.

ETA I searched the NHTSA website and came up with this list of questions about airbags and shut offs - it was done in 1997, so it's old. But it looks like they'll only shut off for RF children who have special needs - so I would get on to them ASAP, so you don't have to argue the RF/FF debate. She's under one, she has to be RF, you no longer have family to drive with you, your need to reach her.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/airbagqa.html#Q3

Hope this helps.

scuby20

thanks so much!!! I will definatly look into it...the only problem is we won't be back in Washington where the van is until May, do you think that if they went ahead and OK'd it, I could wait till I get down there to do it?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Not to completely discourage you from going that route, but be prepared for it to take a while, potentially beyond your return to Washington. My understanding is that petitioning NHTSA for approval to disable the airbag can be a prolonged process, as can finding a dealership willing to disable the airbag once NHTSA has granted approval. Dealerships can be leery due to liability concerns.

scuby20

thanks ladies...I really do want her to stay rear facing:) I even shared this website with some ladies of another forum I am on, all which are wives of air force members....many of them have turned their child forward facing before even the 20lb and 1year rule....so hopefully they will listen to what you ladies have to say!

Thanks so much for all your help!!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I didn't see if you posted what year/make of vehicle your drive now. Any chance it has the advanced air bags that automatically turn off if a child is in the front seat?

ETA: but don't use a RF seat in the front EVEN with advanced air bags!

Last edited:

niccig

Would it be possible for you to start the process now, and if you get approval before May, could you husband take the van into a dealership that will do it? You may have to do all the running around with the phone calls, but if you've got the approval and found a dealer, then it should just be a matter of your DH taking it in. But as the others said, approval may take until after May.

Nicci

skaterbabs

Another (easier) option may be to find an older vehicle without a passsenger air bag. Yes, you CAN find reliable vehicles in that age bracket. And it may be significantly easier for you than the cut off switch.

MommyInMyHeart

Another (easier) option may be to find an older vehicle without a passsenger air bag. Yes, you CAN find reliable vehicles in that age bracket. And it may be significantly easier for you than the cut off switch.

That is exactly what I was about to post! I think that's what I would do. As much as I love having a newer car, I think I'd just get an older one to save myself the NHTSA headache.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC