Turning DD FF

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My husband and I own a body shop and I would just like to stress the importance of making sure you have a QUALIFIED technician at the dealership turn off your passenger side air bag if that is the choice you decide to make. Do not hesite to ask if the person working on your airbags has the necessaary training and you can even ask to see the certificates of ICAR completion relating to airbag instillation and safety. Unfortunately in our industry there is a lot of technician turn over. I highly recommend being EXTREMELY proactive when it comes to airbags. Not to freak anyone out but is not too uncommon to see airbags installed wrong when the vehicle has been in an accident. It is not so much the airbag part that you see as you sit in your vehicle, but the connections and module that are essential to your supplemetal restraint system working properly. I would be very hesitant to put either of my DD's in the front seat for any reason at all. In emergency grab a neighbor to drive and sit in the back with your child. Don't make an emergency a tragedy.

That's totally scary! So, once your air bags have deployed in an accident, you can't actually be sure that they'll work properly again? Ugh, very, very scary. Buying used vehicles would scare me too because you can't always find out if it's been in an accident (and even if you can find out you won't know if the air bags deployed and were repaired).

Unfortunately the neighbour thing isn't a guaranteed solution. Our situation was a dead vehicle on the highway and it's -40 outside, can't leave young kids with the vehicle with no heat in those temps, so I had to take the kids with me to some place warm.

ADS

casatterwhite

I know nothing about these medical conditions, but I would highly recommend having your pediatrician in Alaska contact Children's Hospital in Seattle. They have many highly respected clinics - including a a sleep disorders program http://www.seattlechildrens.org/our_services/clinical_services/sleep_disorders_program/ and a GI clinic that we used with our youngest child http://www.seattlechildrens.org/our_services/clinical_services/gastroenterology/

They may be able to help you with a monitor to use while driving and and the hospital has at least one car seat tech on staff - I have gotten my seats inspected there in the past.

If you fly down here to see one of the doctors, they have a program where they will pick you up at the airport and bring you to the hospital - that would allow you to sit with your child and monitor her.
Good luck!

scuby20

well I think I'm just going to leave her rear facing and get a big mirror once we move down there. the times that my husband is home, he can drive and I'll sit in the back....but when he isn't I'll just stay in my little town and not get on I5 if at all possible.....I actually live close to the capitol Olympia, which is about an hour or more from seattle (depending on traffic).....I have a monitor for her now, but she is getting bigger and doesn't need it anymore.....but she does still have the reflux and chokes on it, and her laryngomalacia just makes it worse...but she is getting stronger......like anything new, it takes time to adjust.....just like when she went ON the monitor......I'm sure the first few times driving will be scary, but I plan on just going to local places. I am going to see if there is a back way to the tacoma mall from my house, that keeps me from getting on I5....unfortunatly we don't have any friends or anything down there to help, so I'll be on my own when my husband isn't there.....but we'll manage....I just cringe at the thought of getting in an accident and her becoming decapitated internally or something...those videos are shocking, and I want her to be as safe as possible....so I'll just wait till she out weighs the car seat weight for rear facing and then turn her forward facing. Baby steps, thats what it's all about I guess

houseofboys

I'm sorry for your dilemma... You're a great mom to be so concerned about her health and safety. :) Is your DH stationed at Fort Lewis? We live in the Lacey area. :D

Last edited:

krystin_21a

If your hubby is military then I assume that you have Tri-Care? Have you ever thought about asking them to cover the monitor under the Durable Medical Equipment clause? Check out this site: http://tinyurl.com/27pb2c
It discusses DME under Tri-Care rules. Chance are you will need a script from your child Pedi. and you will need a letter detailing why you need the monitor for longer then a year and it will probably need to include that your child is under a year currently so therefore cannot face forward.

Karen

Sounds good with the mirror. There are some REALLY great mirrors. Mine is huge. I don't think DS would still RF without it. We have conversations with facial expressions between my mirror and his. I can see everything he is doing. Just find the extra large ones that strap with a tether hook to the headrest. Even though he is almost two, I still check back there a few times a minute. Just to make sure he is OK. :)

Stretchy Glue

Ha! We are *just* south of the Lacey city limits - Hawk's Prairie area - but we always take the Nisqually exit from the north, hence the Nisqually description.

We own property South of Chehalis/Centralia and we always have to stop at Hawks Prairie or Nisqually to pee, after dealing with Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia traffic. We always go there with a trailer full of 4 wheelers and can't really stop in any of the cities. Those are our favorite potty stops on our 3 hour drive.

henrietta

Scuby,

Do you have a middle (center) seat in the second row? Or could you remove the second row seats to slide the third row bench forward into the second row position? That way, she would be in the center for forward facing AND you can reach her easier AND see her easier?

I'd really hate to turn her forward facing at that age, but ds was a preemie (29 wks) and was on an apnea monitor too. He also had severe reflux. It was really hard, so I understand.

FWIW, I had to stop--completely stop in traffic, turn flashers on, and get in back w/him to stim him to breathe. Very scary, but you do what you have to do!

We have a mirror that attaches underneath my rearview mirror. It magnifies the back seat for me, and I can see the kids in the back very well w/it w/o turning around or taking my eyes completely off the road. I think it was an Eddie Bauer product from Target. I've even adjusted it to look into the mirror that my son had for rearfacing.

It's a really hard decision, and I think I'd also consider turning off the airbag in the front passenger seat or getting a vehicle that you can do that with to keep her up front w/you. Just make sure you slide that seat back as far back as it will go, airbag or not, if you are able to do that.

I'm sorry it's been such a rough time for your family--what a blessing to have extended family to help you. Hang in there!

henrietta

scuby20

thanks so much for all the responses that everyone has given.....to answer the last one, no our middle seats don't have a center seat, and ours are stow and go soI can't put the back one in the middle.

I think she really is getting strong enough to stay rear facing and for me to get in the front and drive, and her in the back seat...it's just scary, and we will start with just a short trip to walmart or the grocery store...when hubby is there, he can drive and I'll sit in the back with her. I am going to get a mirror to hang on the seat, and then one of those rear view mirrors that attaches to my regular one, but I can focus it on her, so I can see her in both the mirrors.........and like you said, I'll do what I have to, if it means stopping in traffic and turning my flashers on...her health is more important....and I think she is at a point that she can do ok back there when I have to go somewhere with just she and I. The laryngomalacia is still an issue, but she is slightly reclined in the rear facing position, so that helps!

Thanks so much, you don't know what it means to have people out there that know what I'm going through!!!

LimePink

Senior Community Member
I know how you are feeling right now. My DD has severe reflux and has stopped breathing more times than I can count...her throat swells shut or she starts to choke. We use an apnea monitor as well. That thing is LOUD isn't it?! DD just turned 2 and her reflux is still extremely severe and she is on multiple medications for it. I'm a single mom so I definitely understand why you're scared to have her RF when no one is in the car with you. We have a mirror and it's worked fabulous for us. I'd really try one of those before turning her FF...

tchanbaby

I just wanted to say hello! I live in Olympia. When you get here, I'd like to suggest you check out MOMS Club of Lacey http://www.momscluboflacey.com It might help you to start making some friends for daily activities and to give you support when your husband is gone. I belong to the Olympia group and it is great. :D

I hope you find a solution to your problem and hopefully a doctor as well. Our pediatrician is at Healthy Future Pediatrics http://www.healthyfuturepeds.com but I have no idea if he has experience with your childs issues or not; and then again, as I type this I don't know if you are required to go to Madagin or not.

tchanbaby

We own property South of Chehalis/Centralia and we always have to stop at Hawks Prairie or Nisqually to pee, after dealing with Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia traffic. We always go there with a trailer full of 4 wheelers and can't really stop in any of the cities. Those are our favorite potty stops on our 3 hour drive.

Joni, was your property affected by the flooding?

scuby20

oh wow, that is the pediatrician I am going to set up a meet and greet with when we move down there and see how I like him...how do you like him/the clinic? It's actually in lacey from what I gather on the map....i like all the on line stuff....I take my daughter off base, we have Tricare standard so I can take her anywhere!!

tchanbaby

I like him a lot. I started bringing my oldest to him when he was about 5; so I guess we have been with him for about 16 years. He started his own practice about 4 years ago, I guess. Now he has hired two nurse practioners, who are really great, and they have extended hours...which has really come in handy for me.

Plus...as a bonus...he listens to what I have to say about carseat safety :D:whistle:

scuby20

oh that is great. I hear they are doing a thing now for like 120 bucks a year you can e mail them and access your childs medical records on line...pretty cool I thought. It stinks not knowing a SOUL there, no one to ask who is good ya know. We technically live in Olympia, but it's really Lacey...near Marvin/Martin intersection. I'm glad to know someone that goes to him likes him!!

tchanbaby

I don't think that is up and running yet. He asked me last time I was in there if I would be willing to be one of the testers (of course); but I haven't heard anything else yet. He is going to be building a new office in the next couple years too, it will be on Pacific...much easier to get in and out of than the Lilly Road location.

Seriously you should consider joining MOMS Club, it will really help you make friends.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC