TRIPLETS!!!!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
No, not mine but I have a mom and dad to be coming to a clinic tomorrow to figure out carseats for there upcoming triplets. What is the best suggestion for 3 across? Anything other then RN's?

ADS

canadiangie

I gotcha beat. I'm working with a quad family this week. :eek:

Re the triplets, what do they drive? Are they wanting stroller compatibility?

Shanora

holy... lol They are probably going to want buckets would be my guess.... But might not have that option depending on their vehicle. LOL I'd be suggesting babywearing if it has to be RNs lol

Jewels

Senior Community Member
She hasn't gotten back to me as to what they drive and I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm thinking at least one RN and possibly 2 infant or 2 RN's and one infant. We will discuss stroller and babywearing for sure tonight. I mentioned this in our last message so that she will at least be thinking about it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My concern would be fitting seats that will fit babies who are likely to be preemies/low birthweight. They may not be able to safely take all three until someone grows a bit.

If all RNs or RN/infant seats is too wide, consider the Graco convertibles. Both the MyRide and Size4Me puzzle well with the RN and should fit newborns fine.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Good luck!

I got nuthin' in terms of advice, unless the family is willing to illegally import three Coccoros or something. Do you have the option of medical exemptions up there that would allow them to do this legally, if no other option works?

katymyers

We've gotten a few sets of triplets in our NICU since I've worked there and I think the biggest we ever sent home was like 4 lbs. I don't think a Radian will work for what's sure to be such a tiny newborn :(. It's a shame they can't get a Cocorro, that would be ideal. But maybe try some Chiccos, some Snugride 30s since they've got a narrower base, or some Cybex Atons (if those are even available in Canada, I'm not sure). Is a new car absolutely not an option?

featherhead

My concern would be fitting seats that will fit babies who are likely to be preemies/low birthweight. They may not be able to safely take all three until someone grows a bit.

If all RNs or RN/infant seats is too wide, consider the Graco convertibles. Both the MyRide and Size4Me puzzle well with the RN and should fit newborns fine.

The infant padding on the Canadian MyRides really sucks. It is just a pad under the bum. Nothing on the sides, or behind the back. It would definitely not be supportive enough for a newborn, especially a possible preemie.

mommycat

featherhead said:
The infant padding on the Canadian MyRides really sucks. It is just a pad under the bum. Nothing on the sides, or behind the back. It would definitely not be supportive enough for a newborn, especially a possible preemie.

What? Did this change? The myride I had included a thick cushy infant pad that went up the seat back as well... The new ones on the TRU website on the other hand don't show the bum pad but do have a nice looking head support:
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/large...ct_images/pTRUCA1-11376743dt.jpg&imageIndex=0

I really like the myride and how it puzzles with the radian. Though I might well prefer buckets also if possible. Is the first years bucket narrow, or does it just look it because of the shape?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Not sure how it would help width-wise, but the OnBoard seat fits tiny babies. 3 crotch buckle positions and the bottom slots are so low I couldn't believe it. The base is straight so it's got that going for it.

featherhead

What? Did this change? The myride I had included a thick cushy infant pad that went up the seat back as well... The new ones on the TRU website on the other hand don't show the bum pad but do have a nice looking head support:
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/large...ct_images/pTRUCA1-11376743dt.jpg&imageIndex=0

I really like the myride and how it puzzles with the radian. Though I might well prefer buckets also if possible. Is the first years bucket narrow, or does it just look it because of the shape?

The bum pad is in there. It's the black part. It doesn't help with the buckle being so far out though. When I tried my then 3 month old, probably 12 lb-er in it I did not like how she fit.

mommycat

Really? That's too bad - I quite liked the looks of the old pad though admittedly I only got the seat once ds2 was almost 30 lbs and never even got to use it. The head support looks like it would work well? I would be ok doing a crotch roll unless the fit was really loose. I don't have an mr to check out anymore.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I believe even with the old pad a crotch roll was needed for the itty bitty babes.

I was recently told the SR30 measures the narrowest width-wise. It also has very low bottom slots (comes out of box on 2nd lowest,) and an adjustable crotch buckle.

Others to try are the Sure Fit and Keyfit - I don't know how the Keyfit puzzles, but I know the Surefit isn't a very wide seat.

I think the Fusion is pretty decently spaced too so she very well could do 3 infant seats. (And I think I'd want 3 infants seats with 3 babies...)

featherhead

I believe even with the old pad a crotch roll was needed for the itty bitty babes.

I was recently told the SR30 measures the narrowest width-wise. It also has very low bottom slots (comes out of box on 2nd lowest,) and an adjustable crotch buckle.

Others to try are the Sure Fit and Keyfit - I don't know how the Keyfit puzzles, but I know the Surefit isn't a very wide seat.

I think the Fusion is pretty decently spaced too so she very well could do 3 infant seats. (And I think I'd want 3 infants seats with 3 babies...)

We were able to fit 3 Keyfits, with only the center one being on a base. The backseat is a decent size, it just has lovely bolsters on the sides which really decrease the amount of usable space, unless you have the perfect seat. I wonder if the Snugride30 might fit a little better, allowing all 3 seats to have bases.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I wonder if we could do 2 keyfits and one SR30? Or 2 SR30's and 1 Keyfit? Anyone know how they puzzle together?

She's due in December so for our crazy cold -40 winter month(s) she will want infant seats.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
A Keyfit puzzles really well between two SR22s. Since trips are often discharged from the hospital one at a time, they may be able to get away with only having one under 5# seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC