Tech told me to FF my 2 yr old

Linqdz

We got a new car (14 Odyssey) so I went to get the car seats checked. We have an infant seat and a Radian RFing. My DD (in the Radian) is 26 months, 37" (with a long torso), and 30 lbs. The tech told me I should turn her around. I told her I wasn't ready for her to FF yet. She said she'd "give me 5 more lbs" but then I really should turn her. I thought RFing was better. Why would she tell me I should FF? She acted like I was crazy for wanting to RF. Am I misinformed?

ADS

tjham

Oh my! You are NOT misinformed. She is! :eek:

I'm not a tech but I know one (or more ;) ) will be along soon to commend you and reinforce the correct knowledge you already have!

Mamasboys

We got a new car (14 Odyssey) so I went to get the car seats checked. We have an infant seat and a Radian RFing. My DD (in the Radian) is 26 months, 37" (with a long torso), and 30 lbs. The tech told me I should turn her around. I told her I wasn't ready for her to FF yet. She said she'd "give me 5 more lbs" but then I really should turn her. I thought RFing was better. Why would she tell me I should FF? She acted like I was crazy for wanting to RF. Am I misinformed?

You've got it right. Don't let that tech to influence what you already know is best!

I find the quote in bold rather...um, snooty. Well, why do manufacturers make 40+lb RF seats? Does she know something they don't? Sheesh, perfect example of the "not all techs are created equal."

sarahlove

I had a tech last year tell me to get dd a 3in1 so she could rf until 1, ff until 2-3 and use the booster once she was 3. He said that way I didn't have to buy more than one seat. I was shocked he would say that.

Baylor

How scary is this..

It is one thing to tell some one that they CAN ff another that they should. It is not like the seat you have can not handle a large older rear facer.

Could it be possible she did not know the Radian rfing limit??

Linqdz

How scary is this..

It is one thing to tell some one that they CAN ff another that they should. It is not like the seat you have can not handle a large older rear facer.

Could it be possible she did not know the Radian rfing limit??

She knew the limit. She mentioned it as if it was a gimmick. I had mentioned that I used to have DD in a Britax Advocate but she grew out of it bc of her height. The tech even knew that the Britaxes aren't great for tall kids and RFing.

I'm now concerned about her installation ability, so I am going to take my car to another inspection station on Saturday.

Thank you all for making me feel like I wasn't crazy!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Great job on keeping your little one safe and following your instinct!

I work as a CPST at a hospital and spoke with someone who was told to FF her 2.5yo as well by the police department. She swore they were certified. She, like you, was very knowledgeable and had to push to have them check her seat RFing instead of FFing. It drives me crazy. I don't meet many people who keep their over 2yo RFing so it was exciting!

Anyway, you can keep her RFing as long as possible and she will be very, very safe.

Baylor

She knew the limit. She mentioned it as if it was a gimmick. I had mentioned that I used to have DD in a Britax Advocate but she grew out of it bc of her height. The tech even knew that the Britaxes aren't great for tall kids and RFing.

I'm now concerned about her installation ability, so I am going to take my car to another inspection station on Saturday.

Thank you all for making me feel like I wasn't crazy!

That is even sadder then. I Was trying to give her a crumb.. :)

Did she install it? Or did she show you how to install it??

Linqdz

That is even sadder then. I Was trying to give her a crumb.. :)

Did she install it? Or did she show you how to install it??

I had installed it, but she took it out and re-installed, bc we moved the placement from outboard to center.

I just remembered another gem she told me. She said I should only RF if my child had developmental disabilities, and that they only reason they switched the recommendation to 2 yo instead of 1yo is because some 1 year olds didn't have full head control yet.

Baylor

Yeah, A tech is not there to install your seat. They are there to show YOU how to properly install your seat. I would report her as KQ suggested. I can not imagine how many babies she is making less safe by turning them.

Linqdz

Yeah, A tech is not there to install your seat. They are there to show YOU how to properly install your seat. I would report her as KQ suggested. I can not imagine how many babies she is making less safe by turning them.

Thank you. I didn't know that. I wish I knew how to get it tight like they did.

I am going to contact the person in charge of techs in my county. I have a feeling she's in charge of the station I went to, so I want to go to the county head.

Question: she installed it in the center with LATCH and no angle adjuster. I notice that when I drive, the car seat bounces up and down. I went back after I drove away and noticed it. Another tech there told me that's normal. As long as it doesn't go side to side, it's safe. Is that true?

Baylor

Thank you. I didn't know that. I wish I knew how to get it tight like they did.

I am going to contact the person in charge of techs in my county. I have a feeling she's in charge of the station I went to, so I want to go to the county head.

Question: she installed it in the center with LATCH and no angle adjuster. I notice that when I drive, the car seat bounces up and down. I went back after I drove away and noticed it. Another tech there told me that's normal. As long as it doesn't go side to side, it's safe. Is that true?

Remember it does not have to be rock the car tight. It is safe and correct as long as there is less than 1 inch of movement at the belt path.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What car do you have? There are very few without dedicated center LATCH where the Radian can be installed with LATCH.

Her job was to have your kids leave at least as safe as they arrived, and teach YOU how to install it yourself. If you don't know how to make it as tight as she had it, she failed in more ways than one.

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If the seat is tight at the belt path, yes, some movement at the top of the seat is normal. With the Radian, you can use the top tether rear-facing and that helps reduce that movement.

I'd feel more comfortable about having your seat re-checked by a tech who is more up to date on the current recommendations, plus you need to be taught how to install it yourself. What happens when you're standing by the side of the road waiting for a taxi while a tow truck hauls your broken down car to the mechanic? How are you going to get that seat installed in the taxi? :)

CSO maintains a list of techs who are willing to do inspections... or you could post your general location and someone here might see it and be near you.

Linqdz

What car do you have? There are very few without dedicated center LATCH where the Radian can be installed with LATCH.

Her job was to have your kids leave at least as safe as they arrived, and teach YOU how to install it yourself. If you don't know how to make it as tight as she had it, she failed in more ways than one.

Wendy

We have a 2014 Honda Odyssey. There is dedicated LATCH in all 3 seats in that row (as I understand it). Are you saying that even if there is a dedicated LATCH there, the Radian still may not be installed there?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC