I got my 3-across!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some aren't reinforced and would shatter upon any sort of impact, giving another chance for injuries that wouldn't have been there before. The idea of child safety restraints are to eliminate and prevent injuries.... so the handle positions, in my eyes, would be another piece of the prevention part.

That's exactly it. The allowed positions are the ones that the manufacturer has tested it in and found acceptable. (In the case of Graco, yes, the engineers said that they would use it all the way up, based on what they saw; Combi also requires the handle up on some and highly recommends it on another infant carrier, in large part for this reason.) If the position is not allowed by the manufacturer, either it's been tested and found unacceptable, or not tested and to use it in that position is taking a gamble on whether or not it will harm the child.

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I'm sure Dilli will know, but I want to think it's the Bubble Fun? It's one of the oldest ones.

StPaulMom

And YAY for the 3 across!! :thumbsup:
My sister has an 05 Elantra and will soon need to do a 3 across, but all will need to be RF (EEK!). She already has one Coccoro (for her tiny 12 month old) and a Scenera (for our nephew she watches who is 9 months but BIG) and is expecting a new baby in July. I'm hoping beyond hope that another Coccoro for the new baby or a Shuttle or a Keyfit will puzzle in there somewhere.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
it seems a shame to continue to derail Dilli's excellent 3 across in this way. :(

Thanks for the reminder Starlight.

I believe that the initial handle comment has been addressed and there is no need to discuss it further in this thread. Thanks for everybody's cooperation.

Aurezalia

Oh yay, I'm glad you figured one out! It's been on my mind since we were talking about my 3-across. The Elantra is such a ball of fun. ;)

StPaulMom - I got a RF RN, RF CCO, RF RN in my '03 Elantra. There was a redesign in 05, but it may be doable in newer models as well.

StPaulMom

Oh yay, I'm glad you figured one out! It's been on my mind since we were talking about my 3-across. The Elantra is such a ball of fun. ;)

StPaulMom - I got a RF RN, RF CCO, RF RN in my '03 Elantra. There was a redesign in 05, but it may be doable in newer models as well.

We tried the RN and even the LATCH install wasnt great, and with the seatbelt, forget it! LOL The newer model Hyundais have longer belt stalks which cause ridiculous problems for seatbelt installs for seats that sit lower like the RN, TF and even the CCO :( I wonder if putting a RF Britax classic in the center would allow you to puzzle a RF CCO on either side? I've got a Britax and a CCO so I can try that at least!

MissAllyLou

We tried the RN and even the LATCH install wasnt great, and with the seatbelt, forget it! LOL The newer model Hyundais have longer belt stalks which cause ridiculous problems for seatbelt installs for seats that sit lower like the RN, TF and even the CCO :( I wonder if putting a RF Britax classic in the center would allow you to puzzle a RF CCO on either side? I've got a Britax and a CCO so I can try that at least!

That's because you have the Devil's seatbelts :p

Sorry about the derail DP, I'll behave now ;-)

Aurezalia

A RF MR would also puzzle very well with a RF RN or other low profile seat (Like the Scenera, maybe?) on either side.

MissAllyLou

The Myride! Of course! StPaulMom, I can see the MR working very well in your car! Can't believe I didn't think of that yesterday.

Dillipop

Thanks everyone! And so sorry to hijack the thread!!

Hijack away! I actually found the first hijack quite entertaining and this new highjack quite informative.

I think you'll have more luck with 3 across in one direction. My issues stemmed from 3 different types of seats.

My previous 3-across was ffing radian, rfing companion, ffing monterey which worked awesome, but was tight getting the seat onto the base in the center. I could see rfing radians with a MR or classic Britax working together. Even a CCO. The radian and CCO didn't mix well in opposite directions but should work ok facing the same way. Also, I find that I have to do a full 3 twists to install most seats in this car. Rfing radian is awesome with seatbelt in the center position. I remember it being a PITA in the outboard positions though.

Baylor

Hijack away! I actually found the first hijack quite entertaining and this new highjack quite informative.

I think you'll have more luck with 3 across in one direction. My issues stemmed from 3 different types of seats.

My previous 3-across was ffing radian, rfing companion, ffing monterey which worked awesome, but was tight getting the seat onto the base in the center. I could see rfing radians with a MR or classic Britax working together. Even a CCO. The radian and CCO didn't mix well in opposite directions but should work ok facing the same way. Also, I find that I have to do a full 3 twists to install most seats in this car. Rfing radian is awesome with seatbelt in the center position. I remember it being a PITA in the outboard positions though.

I am glad you are okay with it. I usually find the hijacking posts to have so much information in them. I learned a lot!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow! I am impressed, Dillipop, especially by the install with the Husky. Nice job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dillipop

Wow! I am impressed, Dillipop, especially by the install with the Husky. Nice job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The backseat of the Buick is pretty wide. I can *almost* do a regent, companion, husky back there. I need about an inch more to be able to make it fit.

Aurezalia

Yeah, there's something about the Elantra that just breeds these hijacks. It's because we're all screwed together! :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC