For some of the newer members..

Mae

And in the meantime, you still read and learn. It doesn't take a CPS course for that. This site is awesome for picking up tips and tricks, especially for some of the less mainstream seats.

Yes, this.

I'll be honest, I learned *one* thing at my tech class, and it was something that I will probably never have to do in my lifetime (belt shortening clip, anybody?).

I've learned all of my knowledge from this board, or researching on my own time (which would then be brought up on this website, either by me asking questions, or somebody else asking).

So yes, I definitely encourage you all to stick around. You will learn an incredibly amount of things, and it's wonderful. :love:

Volunteering at checks is also a great idea. :thumbsup: It gives you a great feel of what goes on. Same thing with getting your seats checked -- You get to experience it from the other side. Take note of how the techinician explains things to you, and then take that experience and put it to your advantage (for when you are a technician).

ADS

NannyMom

I'm considering getting certified b/c there aren't any techs in the Washington DC area! But, yes, I've been going a little nutty here too :p
I can't believe there are none in the DC area. I know several great ones in Maryland that should be close to the DC area. :confused:

Thanks guys! I looked nothing near me.. maybe in december but it sa controlled class. THAT STINKS!
Contact the instructor and ask if you can join. The course I took was a closed course.

Last edited:

emtb79

Im one close to the DC area Im in southern MD but I can drive to help someone make sure their seats are installed right.

Baylor

I may take one of you gals up on that. I am looking for a seat check near by first.

Crazy what you learn. I am pretty good at the installs themselves. It is the odd things I am not sure of.. The weight limits for tethers and such.

Amazing how much there really is to it.

Mae

I It is the odd things I am not sure of.. The weight limits for tethers and such.

While there is a limit on the lower anchors which you should strictly follow, we recommend to continue use of the top tether strap. Technically, there is a limit for the top tether, but we disregard it because if it fails in a collision, most of the job will already have been done.

There is no record of a top tether failing, and even it if did "fail", there is no downside to it, because top tethers aren't required to install a child restraint. It's an additional component that reduces head excursion. So, all it can do is benefit your child. :)

Like I mentioned though, there IS a weight limit for the lower anchors which should be strictly followed. It varies among cars, so checking your car's manual will be your best bet at figuring out what your's is. If you have trouble finding it, we can also look it up for you (some of us have boughten a LATCH manual, which is the "master list" of all things regarding LATCH).

Baylor

Some one told me it was 48 lbs here. for my dodge grand caravan 2001. My son that is in the LATCHed seat is 42lbs currently and tethered. My 6 yr old is tethered and in the seat belt install.

Mae

Some one told me it was 48 lbs here. for my dodge grand caravan 2001. My son that is in the LATCHed seat is 42lbs currently and tethered. My 6 yr old is tethered and in the seat belt install.

That is correct. :thumbsup:

Also, you have 5 total top tether anchors (one for each spot), and while you have 3 total positions for lower anchors in the back row, you can only use either:

1.) The two outboard positions at the same time.
or
2.) The center position at the same time.

You cannot use all three positions at the same time.

To use the center LATCH position, the car seat must also allow "borrowing of lower anchors". This will be in the car seat manual.

mrswh

Do you feel nuts now? I mean I am reading more and more here and just getting paranoid about doing it all right.

I feel like the more I know the more I need to know.. If that makes sense.

I so agree with you! It seems there is a neverending line of questions, each one stemming from the previous answer.

It does seem utterly ridiculous that it is this difficult to properly restrain a child in a car. And that there are entire forums dedicated just to installing a seat! :confused:

Someday I am hoping that all cars will come with rear facing back seats and 5-pt harnesses that magically fit any size occupant.

Yeah, right.

Aurezalia

And honestly, as a tech, I'm going to say that I've learned way, WAY more by hanging around here than I did during my certification course. I've been certified for maybe 2 weeks, and yet I have locals that have been techs for over a decade coming to me with questions - simply because I hang out here. :thumbsup: Hang around and it'll blow your mind every day. ;)

HayleyCPST

With education you will be nuts like the rest of us. :)
Wendy

LOL All I can picture is Wendy walking down the street..."Marathon-top tether!" "Turbo booster-no screws!"...etc

I gotta say, I've been a tech for a year and a half and I agree that I've learned so much more from my monthly seat checks than I did in the course. Don't get me wrong, the course was great. It clarified things and the instructors were very smart. The hands on experience is where I learn best, in almost all scenarios. There are some things where I'm positive about (like the snugride handle positions allowed in car) but I still make sure and check the manual. You never know when something's going to change and then you give out the wrong info. (I've done that before on accident, not good).

If you are interested in child safety (and it sounds like you are), you should totally look into the class! You'd probably love it and learn so much.

ETA: oh and taking physics courses after being a tech opened up the heavens for me!

Last edited:

tarabelle

Add me to the 'eternally grateful for this site' list. I've learned so much here that most of my mommy friends come to me with questions. I am planning on taking the CPST course when one is offered here.

I was able to volunteer at a seat check in September and not only was I able to be a big help to the techs checking folks in and getting as much information as possible from their seats (without uninstalling them). It was a major time saver for them, and a great learning experience for me. I was able to bring the techs the paperwork and point out any major issues (like the seat being expired or age inappropriate) thanks to all I've learned here.

And, as a bonus, out of the 45+ seats they checked only one was installed correctly: mine. I know that wouldn't be possible without all of the information I have learned from obsessively reading here. :love:

AnnaC

So how much does it cost to become a tech? What kind of time commitment is involved? I'm interested too.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It cost me $60. Plus gas to drive there.

Time is up to you. I did 13 private checks this month. Some months I've done as many as 40. They take about an hour each. I'm not doing many public checks right now due to scheduling issues with my mother's helper, but by next year I expect to be doing about a dozen four hour public checks a year as well. However, this is what I do. I spend a lot of time in the community and online doing it. It's very possible to be a tech and spend about four hours a year on it. Or do it only for your own seats and kids.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I charge for it, but most people don't. If I was doing about 10 hours a month I'd be thrilled to be doing it on a volunteer basis. When it got to the point where 5-6 hour days were common (out in people's cars, not here online) I felt that it was time to make the switch. I don't earn a lot, but enough to afford a housekeeper and my sick cat's vet bills/medications (which makes Nathan happy to not have to pay for that himself).

Wendy

swtgi1982

In my tech class I was the only one not there for work I was the SAHM mom there because I wanted to be as well. My class was not controlled but still I was the only one there just because.

mrdhollins

thanks for the advice about getting in touch w/ the instructor b/c the classes that would be most convenient for me were all controlled, so I'll try this tact.

Also, I don't see a problem with asking people to pay for your time and talents.

AnnaC

Cool! I'm definitely going to look into this. I had no idea it was so cheap to get the training. I've wanted to do be a midwife, doula, or lactation consultant, but those all take tons of time and money, which I don't have right now. If I could get certified to be a CPST that could be a great way to start giving back! I'm already trying to raise awareness about ERF, and I don't next to nothing compared to some of you here! I'd love to know more!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC