For some of the newer members..

TerisBoys

Thanks guys! I looked nothing near me.. maybe in december but it sa controlled class. THAT STINKS!

And in the meantime, you still read and learn. It doesn't take a CPS course for that. This site is awesome for picking up tips and tricks, especially for some of the less mainstream seats.

ADS

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
:yeahthat: I was able to enroll in a controlled course also. I emailed the instructor and explained that I'm a SAHM and very interested in CPS, and they happily gave me a seat in the class. :thumbsup:

And we love you Jenny! :D

I can't speak for all instructors but we love having passionate "just a mom" people in our classes because they are the best volunteers for our SK coalition. We also leave our classes controlled almost all the time because we have reserve some seats for law enforcement, hospital staff, etc. and it's an either or option (open or controlled), we can't just save X seats and open the rest. SO, email the instructor and ask!

Mommy0608

Aw, thanks Carrie! It's so much fun working with such a great group of techs/instructors in the area. :)

I think I may try to find a local seat check and see what I can learn there too.

That's a great idea! They could always use volunteers, perhaps you could scribe for them (help fill out the forms while the CPST performs the hands-on part of the inspection). You would definitely gain some valuable experience. Try contacting your local Safe Kids coalition for information about events and volunteering with them.

Mom-of-Two

I think it's awesome to have a place to get real information, and you can do your own research on the issue- I was BIG on car seat safety before coming to this particular board, I had read and researched before joining here, and have visited other community boards on car seat issues.

The more passionate I get, the more my DH urges me to look into becoming a tech. I am strongly considering it actually. I am a SAHM but my 6yo is in all day K now and my youngest is nearly 3, so I would love something to do on a part time basis that I am strongly passionate about. :)

Car seat usage STINKS in Ohio so I'd love the opportunity to get my hands on some seats and talk some moms.

Baylor

Aw, thanks Carrie! It's so much fun working with such a great group of techs/instructors in the area. :)

That's a great idea! They could always use volunteers, perhaps you could scribe for them (help fill out the forms while the CPST performs the hands-on part of the inspection). You would definitely gain some valuable experience. Try contacting your local Safe Kids coalition for information about events and volunteering with them.

Thanks for that info! I would love to volunteer to do something..

TerisBoys

I think I may try to find a local seat check and see what I can learn there too.

This. But even starting with having HER seats checked is beneficial. From her other threads she has some questions about what's safeR, etc. as far as positioning and types of restraints and what-not. Use that as a foot in the door to volunteer as a scribe/find a class/etc.

Mommy0608

This. But even starting with having HER seats checked is beneficial. From her other threads she has some questions about what's safeR, etc. as far as positioning and types of restraints and what-not. Use that as a foot in the door to volunteer as a scribe/find a class/etc.

I agree, that's a good point. Definitely start with getting your own checked, then move on to volunteering with the group. :)

Baylor

I have installed my seats according to the online manual in the Graco youtube installation video. If that is right than my seats are in right.

I would love to have one of the techs here check them for me but I am not sure there are any near me enough... Do you go to them? Do you meet somewhere public ( my preference.)

How does that work.

hrice

This site is amazing and has transformed me!

I came at the end of last year looking for advice on how to fit 2 Marathons RF in my Jeep and haven't ever left! My then just turned 8 yo was not in a booster. He rode in it until his 8th bday and I thought since he was 8 and over 4'9" that he was OK with just a seatbelt. I was told otherwise and am so thankful.

I have learned so much and want to get certified as soon as there is another class in my area. I was supposed to take a class this month but I gave up my spot to a state trooper.

Eresh

Me too! I'm also the hard core research type ... which makes me even more ashamed that I never really researched car seats for DS1. I figured a car seat is a car seat. Well, better late than never! This forum really opened my eyes. I ended up switching DS1 back to RF at 2.5y and I'm so much more confident in the safety of both my boys.

jsmom

While I don't post much, I do read a lot on here. I am so fortunate that I found this board.... honestly, I don't know if I would be as aware of car seat safety as I am if I hadn't stumbled upon this site. My DD's first car seat was bought used from someone I didn't know because I didn't know any better. As soon as I became aware of the dangers I of course replaced it with a new one.... a Marathon which started this whirlwind of seats lol

If anything this site has reassured me more than made me paranoid. :)

T4K

Do you feel nuts now? I mean I am reading more and more here and just getting paranoid about doing it all right.

I feel like the more I know the more I need to know.. If that makes sense.

THIS. Right there with ya...

Does your SN have any connection to the institution in Wacko, I mean Waco?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Thanks guys! I looked nothing near me.. maybe in december but it sa controlled class. THAT STINKS!

I always recommend that the newly car seat passionate folks stick around here and read as much as possible to learn (at least) the basics. You'll get a lot more out of the CPST course if you already have a good basic foundation. :twocents:

leighi123

Now I want to get certified just because I want to make sure I am doing it right.. A little over kill right? Who knows.

I actually did this. The only "non paramedic/nurse" in the class. And from hanging out here before taking the course, I new almost everything the class covered!

luckyclov

All of the courses in my area are fulltime days. As another "just a mom" itching to be certified, it's going to be a challenge (and has been thus far) since I don't have anyone to watch my kidlets.:thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC