Votes: 72 49.7%
  • No, and we fight about it

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • They don't really care

Votes: 61 42.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neatfreak

I wish that DH would open his mind a little more to it, but he doesn't really see the point. Because he was fine as a kid with zero carseats (and zero accidents that he needed to survive, though). We argued about this alot when DD1 was a toddler, but with DD2, turning her FFing is not on his radar screen as much. Which is good for me!

ADS
yes but not quite as much as I do, he believes that no child under age 2 has any business being forward facing, but I think after age 2 he really doesn't care so much, he knows I won't allow it till after 4 or if the seat is outgrown rear facing (but I have smaller kids and radians so do the math lol)

He did put his foot down (In a manor of speaking) and insist I turn Fiona ffing in his car recently (she is almost 5 and very tall, but still has 3 inches above her in the radian xtsl and is no more than 34 lbs, (I only had her rear facing for puzzling reasons) he said he was full out embarassed, and getting weird looks lol

He thinks they should ff around 3 where I think around 4

Bugsy's_mom

The title made me laugh because it reminded me of something that happened when my DS was younger.

I think my DS was about 15 months or so at the time (he is 4y3m now and just started FF a few days after his fourth birthday fyi) and my husband asked me why our son was still "facing backwards". I gave him this "incredulous" (his word choice when later recounting the story for a friend ha) look and said because it's safer. He then asked me how long he was going to stay that way and I said something to the effect of at least until 3 or hopefully for as long as there is a seat that allows him. Now usually when I'm this insistent about something my (very dear :love:) DH relents, but not this day. He told me that I was being overly protective, that our son would get uncomfortable etc. When we returned home I BOMBARDED him with statics and websites about ERF. He skimmed the information and quickly agreed with me. We haven't really discussed it much since then. I pick out the seats for both our vehicles and he installs them with minimal eye rolling ha.

To be perfectly honest, if he had been more argumentative or disregarded the facts about car seat safety it would have caused us real problems.

Notaclue

Dh makes little comments here and there, but he doesnt' really fight me on it. I have told him over and over that she rides in MY van so I get to make the call, and he lets it go. He trusts my judgement and knows that I have done the research and he hasn't, so he doesn't really bother really fighting me on it.

karlatta

DH absolutely believes kids under 2 should be RF. He wouldn't think of FF a kid younger than that and when he sees kids under 2 FF, he usually has something to say about it. After 2, he's pretty lenient (drives our 2yo FF in his car). I turn the kids the September after they turn 3 (for preschool carpool).

Mommy2Marcus

My DH did not really support it untill I turned Marcus back at 17 months & showed him the research. He was pretty against it untill I showed him the videos. He then agreed untill 3, but not after. He was turned in his car at 2 1/2 b/c he could not get him prply bckled in his car RF & b/c he hit the weight limit. He has been FF in DH's car since then. He has never fought me over what I did in my car though.

He is ok with EH, but is not so much for ERF.

cpsaddict

Dh just trusts what I say, but I think after 2 or so, he may say something. I am fine with turning at 2, especially since DD will probably be pretty close to the 35lb limit in her old Marathon, in his truck. At 18mths, she is 30lbs and still gaining.

mlohry

My DH goes along with whatever I say regarding safety issues because he knows I do all the research. He is way better at installing seats than I am and I am thankful for that! I think he would tell someone about ERF if in that situation. I will have to ask if he ever talks about it at work.

flutie128

DH has started to make some comments about DD's legs and her RFing. I know he thinks she should probably FF but I said I would turn her when she starts preschool next fall and will be about 3.5. If she doesn't make it until that is ok too. She is 2.5, 36 inches and 26 pounds naked. We only have a TF and a RA50 so 35 pounds to RF.

MonkeySauce

He is behind it 100%. I've showed him the research and he is a very logical/scientific minded guy, so he was like, "Well this is obviously the smart choice, I'm all for it." I don't know if he preaches the ERF gospel to others though, but most of his friends have older kids or no kids.

kate4478

DH is 100% behind me on ERF! :love: DS is 3 1/2 and hasn't said a word about turning him around. :D He actually told me to go buy a new seat for my SIL a while back when she had to pick up DS unexpectedly. She had to use his RA that he had outgrown RF. She was going to be watching DS for 3 days and he wanted me to go buy a new seat for him to use for the remaining 2 days. :rolleyes: I love to buy new seats but I couldn't justify buying a new seat for 2 days. Not that I would ever turn down buying a new seat, but I would like to get DS a new seat when he does turn FF, so I had to be wise about it. Not to mention I already had a spare MA that my sis was borrowing for vacation for DN and I'm running out of closets to put the spares.

andre149

My df is mostly supportive lol. He was great about it when P was still "little" but now that she's pushing 2.5 he will sometimes make comments like I can't wait until we can turn her or it would be nice to be able to see her. I just tell him that's great, and once she's maxed out the Radian he can see her all he wants lmao. He is supportive in that he lets me make the decisions about seats though.

mrdhollins

At first DH didn't understand my decision to ERF. I showed him the research and Joel's site in particular and he is all about ERF.

He's nearly told my sister and BIL that they are irresponsible parents for turning their son around at 1 and (well over) 20 lbs. Now, he's 2 1/2 and DH still tells them they should turn him RF. I've dropped it but hope I can still convince them w/ the next baby.

While we've been trying out seats to see what will fit in our car w/ the tallest shell, he's been supportive, though sometime a little annoyed! When we were talking about head wings being worth extra $$, he looked at me stunned. "if it's good enough for NASCAR drivers, it's good enough for our daughter! Those head wings have saved lives in race cars!" :thumbsup:

We installed our SR32 together and will probably do the same w/ our next seat. :love:

::er!ca::

My husband doesn't care either way, he supports my decisions since they've been researched and I can prove it's safe(r). Before my youngest was 2 years old he would sometimes mention that he thinks we should turn her FFing at 2. But it's almost 5 months past her birthday and he hasn't mentioned it.

He does tell other people about rear facing past 1 year/20 pounds, and mentioned that our almost 2.5 year old is still rear facing. :)

ConnorsMommy

My husband was supportive of our son being RF until 2 years old. I'd done a lot of research on the subject and told him about it (whether he wanted to listen to it or not!:whistle: After our son turned 2, we ended up turning him FF in his car. My husband is deaf so if our son was riding with him and was RF, he couldn't see or hear him. (The mirror wouldn't stay on the headrest). I kept our son RF in my car for a few months longer, but he outgrew his ComfortSport by height and I couldn't fit his Radian in my Subaru RF :(. After I was in an accident and we bought a bigger car I re-RF our son for a short time, but he was just too big for his seat RF and we couldn't buy another one. During that time my husband didn't complain about him RF again.
I've talked about RF with my husband a lot and he sees how frustrated I get when I see a baby FF or not properly restrained. Last week I told him that someday I want to become a CSPT and he was supportive of that idea. I also told him that if we have another child someday, he/she will be RF until at least 3 years old. He didn't really say anything about that.

pepsicola

I am actually surprised by how many c-s members' spouses support erf. I thought it would have been a lot more people who argue about it. I guess I should have put in more than 3 poll options, but this was my first poll, too. :).

bethng

My DH leaves the car seat issues/decisons to me. He knows better then to argue with me about it. The only grief I get is when a new seat arrives at our doorstep!

Baylor

My Dh would if we could. E-man is 42lbs and 2.5 yr old.. Or believe me the day I came here I would have taken the GN back and gotten him something that could rear face.

He has always just gone with what I tell him he needs to do for the kids..

I think that Dh's tend to let us do what we want so that they don't have to discuss it! lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC