Convertible to use from birth ?

I am expecting #3 in 6 months or less. I have been debating the whole infant bucket seat vs going straight to a convertible. Financially, it would be best to just go with the convertible from the start. So, I am leaning in that direction. I've always used a bucket seat, though. I haven't really looked at carseats in 2 years, so what's available these days? I need something that will work well from birth, rear-face to at least 40 lbs, under $200, and isn't a super pain to install.

And no scenera cause I just don't like the seat.

whatcha recommend?

ADS

geekKT

I believe the convertibles you'll see most recommended to be used from birth are the TrueFit, the MyRide, and the Radian.

The TrueFit, or True Fit Premier, will rear-face to 35lbs and has a very tall shell. I used this for my son and he fit quite well.
The MyRide has a somewhat shorter shell but a 40lb RF limit.
The Radians - tall shell and I believe 40 or 45lbs rearfacing? Someone else can chime in, I can never remember. :)

Some of the new Britax seats, with the infant insert that's available, might be an option as well - I think they RF to 40lbs but have a shorter shell.

As far as pricing - I'm not all that familiar with the US prices of these seats but believe the TrueFit and MyRide are around that range. Again, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in there. :)

jjordan

The truefit works well for newborns, but the RF weight limit is just 35#. However a very tall/skinny or long-torsoed child might last longer rearfacing in the TF compared to something like the MyRide because it has a taller shell. So if a child outgrows the MyRide by height (or another 40# RF seat) before 35#, then the TF will last that child longer. However, unless you have a reason to suspect that your child will be exceptionally tall & skinny or long-torsoed, the TF probably won't last as long for rearfacing.

(Incidentally, a seat is outgrown rearfacing by height when there is less than 1" of hard shell above the child's head, measured as in this thread.)

So, for seats <$200 with a 40# RF weight limit that will work for an infant, your choices are a Graco MyRide, Radian 80SL (on sale), and Britax roundabout 55 (or maybe a marathon70 on a good sale) with infant insert. Installation-wise, the RA55 is *generally* going to be the easiest, then the MyRide, then the Radian. But the ease of installation really depends a lot on the car, so if you can try the seats before you buy, then you'll know for sure if it works well for you.

If you don't have a lot of front-back space to work with, the Radian might not fit very well.

ETA: Other options might be the Evenflo Triumph 65 and the Evenflo Momentum 65. I'm not 100% sure on how well they work for newborns, but I think they generally fit into the "not amazingly good, but usually okay" category. I'm sure someone will correct me on that if I'm wrong. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Triumph 65 will fit a newborn.

I don't know that you could get a Britax for under $200. The foam is $15 plus shipping (usually $11 or so), then the seat for just shy of $200. For less money you can get more.

If you have lightweight kids, I'd look strongly at the True Fit. Otherwise an on sale Radian, the My Ride, or the Triumph 65 would be best bets.

Wendy

momtoo3

The Evenflo Triumph 65 works great for my nephew. He was 7 lbs, 2 oz and 20 inches at birth. It rear faces to 40# and forward to 65#. My 2 yr old has the Evenflo Triumph Advance ( 35 RF , 50# FF) that has the same shell as the Triumph 65. We love it for the ease of adjustment on the harness and it seems to take up less room front to back than other seats but it is a little wider so it may not fit 3 across if you need that option. You can get the Triumph 65 at Target for $139 and Babies R Us (not sure of the price.) HTH!

I know a good bit about when they outgrow the seats and so forth. ;) I just didn't know what all new seats are out on the market as far as a convertibile that will fit at birth, especially since I've never used a convertible since birth. My kids tend to be lightweights and short. My soon to be 6 year old is short (not sure of exact measurements) and weighs only 41 lbs. He still fits in the MA and BLVD we have, but he has a Frontier. My 3 year old is 31 lbs and also short. He has a ton of growing room in the MA he rides in.

I have plenty of room. I drive a Grand Caravan. The only issue is that my oldest HAS to be in the middle row with latch. The only latch seats are the 2 middle row seats. The frontier does NOT fit in the 3rd row with a seatbelt install. My 3 year old can be in either row. It doesn't matter. The baby can be in either row, as well.

What about the Momentum 65™ DLX Convertible ? I don't know much about this seat, but would it fit a newborn well?

The $200 limit is not set in stone and I can go above that. Would just be nice to keep it under.

Eresh

More of a question since I'm also interested in this topic (though my kids tend towards tall and skinny). What about the Safety 1st Complete Air? Doesn't fit newborns well?

Ninetales

I've been researching the Complete Air for my seven month old and no, it doesn't fit newborns well. I believe that the bottom slots are like 10".

MJHY27

I don't have personal experience with newborns in convertables but just wanted to throw in a vote anyway for a truefit :) we have one for our 2 1/2 yo and i just think it looks like a great seat for a newborn! if we ever do get to have a third they will be going in that seat

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The seats that I can think of that fit the criteria in your first post would be the MyRide 65, the Triumph Advance 65, and possibly the Momentum.

jjordan

Having biggish newborns and small kids means you have lots of options. :) Try whatever seats from this thread that you want to try, and then decide what you like best!

Regarding the price on a Britax, you can easily get a roundabout 55 online for 20% off the MSRP, which brings it to $160, so it would be well under $200 even with the infant insert. (Although, with big newborns, you might not even need the insert.)

suzling

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Combi Coccoro. I'm guessing that it's because it can be a pain to install, although we didn't have any issues getting it correctly installed in my Corolla or his Cobalt, and the installs were verified by professionals through a service offered by one of the hospitals out here.

We were expecting to have a large baby from the start and wanted a car seat that would accommodate him for at least the first year and fit in the back seat of my Corolla. In the end, Samuel arrived a month early due to complications and was 5lbs 15oz and 18.75 inches long. His fit in the car seat was also evaluated as part of the installation check, and the installer was pleased with his fit in the car seat.

Samuel is our first child and at 7 weeks in, we still don't regret our decision to go with the convertible car seat over the bucket seat, even with him being well over 9lbs already. We carry him when he comes out of the seat for short trips, and he goes into a Moby Wrap for longer trips out of the car.

Hope this helps!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I have plenty of room. I drive a Grand Caravan. The only issue is that my oldest HAS to be in the middle row with latch. The only latch seats are the 2 middle row seats. The frontier does NOT fit in the 3rd row with a seatbelt install. My 3 year old can be in either row. It doesn't matter. The baby can be in either row, as well.

What year Grand Caravan? You should have at least 1 set of latch in the 3rd row if I remember correctly... They are offset in the newer models but they are there :)

luckyclov

The Coccoro is a great for newborns, especially newborns of the size you've mentioned (which are much like mine). The Coccoro can be tricky to install until you get the hang of it and it only RFs until 33 lbs, but it's a great little seat, and one I wouldn't think twice about having a newborn in.

Also, the Radian 80...although, I've never seen one for under $200. I also have a Grand Caravan ('09) and it installs very easily and very solid in the captains chairs.

ETA: My GC has 1 set of LATCH in the 3rd row. Off center in the middle spot. The seats are kind of slanted back there, though, so I'm not sure how the Frontier would install...but a Regent installs acceptably...not as solid as the 2nd row w/ LATCH or SB, but still acceptable (less than 1" of movement from each direction).

zactayaus

I absolutely love the way newborns fit in the My Ride.:love: The infant insert is the best I've personally seen on any convertible car seat.:thumbsup:

JerseyGirl'sMama

While the Coccorro (CCO) fits newborns nicely, the OP is thinking about skipping an infant bucket seat so she doesn't have to buy two new seats in s years. She would be in the same boat with a CCO, which is why she was given several other options that would fit her child longer. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC