Best Used Minivan for $8K?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am very happy with how our 02 Ody performed. Both before and during our crash. We made sure to buy one with a replaced transmission. But we were totally ready to buy that vintage again, though we licked into a good price on the new body style. :)

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Also, I can't find anything higher than a 04 and most of them are 02-03s. Is that an issue?

It's an issue for the vehicles I stated, other than the MPV, yes...in my opinion, anyways. The MPV tranny issues were earlier--I'm wanting to say until about 2001? Best to consult Google on that one.

-Nicole.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What about Grand Caravans?

Well, you've got to appreciate that they're dirt cheap to fix..which is a good thing, since everyone I know who has owned one has needed a lot of repairs! :) I've had a Sienna and two Odysseys, and cannot say enough about them but would happily take an MPV or Quest if money was too limited for the 04+ Sienna or an Odyssey without possible transmission problems. I wish I liked Kia, because the newer Sedonas are a) inexpensive and b) well liked here in the forums...

-N.

Mags462

What about Grand Caravans?

Same as the Chrysler just different trims. :D

I agree with the PP - I would rather buy a older higher mileage Toyota/Honda (within reason of course) ..... but some times it just isn't a viable option. With 8K though i would think you could find a Oddy or Sienna to suit your needs. While i personally know people who have had pretty good luck with those model years from Chrysler/Dodge they will not last as long normally..... i would never buy a Chrysler with more than say 65K miles and even then i wouldn't pay a lot for it. I would also expect that repairs will be in my future. With an Oddy/Sienna as long as the Oddy has the tranny issues addressed and the timing belts/water pumps have been recently changed i wouldn't hesitate to buy a well taken care of one with 100K+ miles.....

V

VanIsleMommy

interesting note about the kia!! will keep that in mind for sure next time. in fact I did own a hyundai once upon a time, it was my grandpa's car that he gave to my mom and was the first car I drove. for how old that car was, it ran amazingly well! if there were repairs, they were cheap and minor. so I wouldn't rule out a hyundai.

Rosey

I have an 08 grand caravan, one sis has an 06, and the other sis a 2010 and my dad's wife has an 06 town and country. All were bought used as far back as 2007, and none of us have had anything more than regular maintenance. Could be luck, could be that we maintain our vehicles. I have been more than happy with my van and have put 15K miles on her in 9 months! My sister just drove roundtrip from texas to florida and back in hers. We love them.

I decided I would rather have a newer vehicle with more convenience features than an older honda/toyota, but that's just preference. When you shop just see what is available and evaluate each van's pros and cons cause they will be particular to that vehicle and its history.

KaliShanti

More questions:

Also, are leather seats really hot in the summer? Keep in mind we are in Texas. I'm just seeing some with leather and not sure if that's out of the question in a hot climate.

Also we will want to test drive locally, but what if the lots don't have the older years. Is it about the same to test drive newer years that we would not get? We live in a small town.

Chely7425

We live in a small town too, you need to test drive the van you are going to buy. You just might have to drive a bit. We have leather in our van (in Louisiana) and it isn't my favorite thing ever but it's not horrible.

rxmommy

Looks like I MIGHT find a Odyssey 2004 in my price. Are these still the ones with possible tran issues?

yup. they changed the body style in 2005, but I think they changed the transmission again even later than that. I can't remember the exact year.

It's not a death sentence for a transmission, though, because I'm sure it's not 100% of them. finding one with a new or rebuilt tranny would be my personal preference though. although I have a friend with a '99 that's on it's 3rd tranny!

I have leather and we really only have "summer" (at least probably what you would call summer :cool:) for a couple months of the year but the leather doesn't bother me. My kids being in carseats obviously don't care yet either. We have very few days over 100, though. Heated leather seats are the world's BEST invention. :love:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
More questions:

Also, are leather seats really hot in the summer? Keep in mind we are in Texas. I'm just seeing some with leather and not sure if that's out of the question in a hot climate.

They are hot for me in Chicago.... My last van had them, and I did my best to avoid getting leather again (not many air conditioned leather seats in minivans or SUVs.)

Just wanted to add that the Ford Freestar and Dodge Grand Caravan are decent enough family haulers, even if not best-in class for that generation of vehicles. Plus, they tend to be priced much more reasonably.

A 2006ish Kia Sedona or Hyundai Entourage would be a good choice if you can find one in your price range. The 1999+ Odyssey is a great choice. There's a reason they were in ultra-high demand then and now, driving up their resale prices in many areas:-(

One other thing about the Sedona and Quest, they aren't known for great reliability, either. Not necessarily bad, but I doubt they are any better than Chrysler or Ford minivans.

Good luck!

::er!ca::

We got an 06 Kia Sedona with 67k miles a little over 3 weeks ago, and we paid well within our price range. Love it!

We were looking at an 05 Odyssey, but it had 93k miles on it and they were asking $13,000... no thanks!

KaliShanti

We are selling our Hyundai Elantra now too so hopefully we can get 1500-2000 for it and put that toward the van! So we're looking more towards 10K to spend.

Hmmm here are a few I'm finding. Any good deals?:

2005 8-seater Sienna with 83K miles for $10,500 (Do you like the 8-seater or the 7 seater?). It's a darker color which we didn't originally want but...

2004 Odyssey with 65,789 miles for $10K

2004 Sienna with 76,158 miles for $10,988K

2005 Sienna with 94,170 miles for $10,500. I think this one is leather interior.

2006 Sienna LE with 102,123 miles for $9,000

2004 Odyssey EX-L with 96,390 miles for $10,450

V

VanIsleMommy

not knowing the stats, the 2004 ody for $10k seems like the best bargain to me. but, at that price I have to wonder if it's been in an accident.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually that's around what most 04 Odys are going for in my area (and I'm not in a super-cheap area) if they're private sellers OR if they are a dealership and haven't been in a crash but have maybe some cosmetic "dings" (like a stain on the carpet.)

KaliShanti

not knowing the stats, the 2004 ody for $10k seems like the best bargain to me. but, at that price I have to wonder if it's been in an accident.

No it hasn't been in a wreck. But some other people have said things about older Odys having transmission issues and that's why there aren't a lot of them on this list. And that makes me nervous- I don't know how one would find out if the transmission has issues before one buys the car.

I'm so nervous about the whole thing. I've never bought a car before!

rxmommy

No it hasn't been in a wreck. But some other people have said things about older Odys having transmission issues and that's why there aren't a lot of them on this list. And that makes me nervous- I don't know how one would find out if the transmission has issues before one buys the car.

I'm so nervous about the whole thing. I've never bought a car before!

I don't really know if you can find out either. Especially one that has so few miles...maybe it just hasn't had the mileage to wear out the tranny yet, yk?

My Ody just went out of warranty so before it did I had them do a transmission check. I have no idea what it entailed (lol) but my dad's a mechanic and urged me to do it. It was about $80 at a dealership. Might be worth it for you to look into that!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC