Corolla, Mazda3, or Sentra?

jnh896

Hello,
I am wondering what your personal experiences are with these vehicles. We are getting a small car for DH due to his commute. They all seem to rank "medium risk" on the informedforlife website (I guess because of their size) The Mazda3 and Sentra come standard with side curtain airbags.

I know a lot of people like the Corolla. We have had Nissans in the past, but don't know anything about Mazda.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Cheers!
Joy

ADS

southpawboston

be very careful navigating informedforlife.org and make sure you read their website about how they calculate their scores. their risks are calculated using a proprietary algorithm that assumes a "medium" score for any test that there is no data for. this is as opposed to just ommitting the calculation for the that test.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
DH commutes with a MazdaSpeed3 that he adores. It's a lot of fun to drive and gives you the zip you need when you want it. :)

southpawboston

the mazda is definitely the most fun to drive and zippy of the bunch, but also the least fuel efficient. the corolla is the most fuel efficient, but just boring to drive.

also, the mazda comes with more available options than the other cars, such as navigation, high intensity discharge lights, heated leather seats, etc...

Pure commuting, the Corolla is nice. Yes, it's boring to drive, but sometimes you want that if you're just going in traffic to/from work.

Are you talking new cars? Corolla is about to be updated. If you go with it, they better be offering you a screaming deal. Invoice or under.

Personallly, I'd go with the Mazda or the Civic.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I think stability control is at least optional on 2007-2008 Civic and Impreza models. If you get one with that option, those would be very safe alternatives, also, particularly the Civic that would also have better fuel economy.

brightredmtn

I think stability control is at least optional on 2007-2008 Civic and Impreza models. If you get one with that option, those would be very safe alternatives, also, particularly the Civic that would also have better fuel economy.

ESC is only available on the V6 suped up Civic. I just bought a 07 Corolla with optional side airbags and ESC. The Mazda 3 has optional ESC on trim levels that aren't ridiculously expensive (like the Civic's MSRP over $22,000 for the model with ESC.) The new 09 Corollas just out have standard side airbags and ESC is much easier to find.

The Impreza has optional ESC too but these only come in four wheel drive or all wheel drive (don't know the difference but one of the two) so the gas mileage was stinky! I would have bought the Impreza if it weren't for the horrible gas mileage. Check out:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

To compare gas mileage.

Have you considered a Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe? They are both made by Toyota and basically a wagon Corolla. I found many more Vibes with ESC than I did Corollas.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
For good gas mileage, you could also consider the diesel VWs (the Golf, and I think the Jetta are available in diesel). We get 40mpg in our Golf. I'm pretty sure they're considerably more expensive than the other cars you're looking at though. (Our Golf is an '01 and we got it for 16K brand-new, but I think the price went up considerably a few years ago.)

southpawboston

For good gas mileage, you could also consider the diesel VWs (the Golf, and I think the Jetta are available in diesel). We get 40mpg in our Golf. I'm pretty sure they're considerably more expensive than the other cars you're looking at though. (Our Golf is an '01 and we got it for 16K brand-new, but I think the price went up considerably a few years ago.)

no longer sold in the US :( ... choices now are 5-cylinder gas engine or 4-cyl turbo gas engine.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I didn't get a chance to look closer, but VW had a big kiosk about their diesel technology at the auto show. Maybe it is making a comeback?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC