Foonf, take #2

Adorkable

what they are telling me about this field is what is actually factually legal and ok'd by lawyers and companies, i guess i wanted a conversation about what is safe or not in real world use. i get why folks that are CPS techs cant be a part of that talk.

ADS

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Adorkable said:
what they are telling me about this field is what is actually factually legal and ok'd by lawyers and companies, i guess i wanted a conversation about what is safe or not in real world use. i get why folks that are CPS techs cant be a part of that talk.

FWIW, the home made pillowcase cover wouldn't meet flame retardant specifications required for carseat manufacturers. So that could easily create the .001% risk in a crash that could burn and permenantly disfigure your child. But I'm sure that pillowcase cover with keep your seat smelling fresh.

atw

creideamh said:
I'm so confused, I thought there were patterns with black frames? The heart shades one I had pre-ordered (that I had to cancel... waaah!!) has a black frame. Or is that not really what you mean?

:

No, you are right. I fear monkey fatigue, even though I adore the patterns!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Adorkable

FWIW, the home made pillowcase cover wouldn't meet flame retardant specifications required for carseat manufacturers. So that could easily create the .001% risk in a crash that could burn and permenantly disfigure your child. But I'm sure that pillowcase cover with keep your seat smelling fresh.

and here i thought we had settled back down to intelligent discourse again.
I have no reply that will get anywhere with someone who would post this, so I will keep my hands off the keyboard now.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I happen to be formally trained in Industrial Design including a fair bit of focus on Product Ergonomics and have about 25 years of pattern making and sewing under my belt, so I feel pretty good about the place I come from in my thinking. Of course they is no way for you all to know that about me.
I guess where I may have gone wrong here the most was to treat this too much like some of the forums where I post on other subjects. Forums that do work on projects together and openly brainstorm on making things or modding things. Modding is in my nature, hence the industrial design schooling.

I'm an electrical design engineer. I enjoy mods as much as anyone, well, moreso back in the day when I had more time and energy, but that's another issue.

I also don't find attaching a thin layer of fabric to the top of a carseat likely to reduce the crash performance of the restraint at all. Even so, I've never had a good enough reason personally to do that or otherwise modify a primary safety device like a carseat. Granted, Clek is a little different in what they do with their covers, so maybe it's something you might even suggest to them (factory approved slip over covers).

Ultimately, there is also concern that some innocent change one person chooses for a model used by their child is taken the wrong way by another reader, who does something similar on another restraint that turns out to be a potential risk. That's another reason why we stick with manufacturer instructions. Modding a carseat is a bit different from grandma modding her favorite recliner with a clear vinyl cover or a gamer modding a computer, not only in terms of the product's function, but also in terms of the person most likely to be affected if you mess up.

Adorkable

Ultimately, there is also concern that some innocent change one person chooses for a model used by their child is taken the wrong way by another reader, who does something similar on another restraint that turns out to be a potential risk. That's another reason why we stick with manufacturer instructions. Modding a carseat is a bit different from grandma modding her sofa with clear vinyl covers or a gamer modding a computer, not only in terms of the product's function, but also in terms of the person most likely to be affected if you mess up.

very much agreed

Adorkable

If your child is vomiting behind their head, something horribly wrong is happening.

if the side wings of a headrest are completely behind my child's head, then something is horribly wrong with the way they are secured into their carseat. Kids also turn their heads to the side from time to time.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

We have great talks about parental decisions we would/wouldn't make all the time. But coming in saying that you're going to do that and not going to listen to anyone who presents an objection because they're not people you want to listen to doesn't facilitate that. We try very hard to be respectful, patient, helpful, non-judgmental and non-confrontatIonal here, for the most part. We also try to carefully consider the viewpoints others bring to the table. Coming in confrontational, dismissive, and defiant is at odds with our community ethos and doesn't start you off on the right foot, so to speak, to have that conversation.

If you wish to start a new thread, making clear you're being respectful of all the educated views available here, wish to discuss hypotheticals and theory of design, and are asking for honest evaluations of perceived risk in a real-world situation, politely, you'd probably get some good responses.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Adorkable said:
and here i thought we had settled back down to intelligent discourse again.
I have no reply that will get anywhere with someone who would post this, so I will keep my hands off the keyboard now.

I'd consider it fairly intelligent to consider the flame retardant since its a federal standard applying to carseats. You asked for that .001%, I gave it to you. :) I'm glad you couldn't find a better argument to invalidate my point.

You are welcome, BTW.

Kel

I will not buy a seat that I can not wash the head part. Kids sweat, vomit {to the side, I've had It in their ears, lol}, and have dirty hands sometimes.

The foonf looks like a GREAT seat though. I just like being able to wash the whole cover.

Adorkable, this might not be the seat for you. I wanted to love this seat to, but nope, not happening because of the cover.

The good news is there's lots of other great seat's out there. To each their own.

Kelley

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
FWIW, I think the pillow case slipcover idea for the headrest is a neat idea and I think you should make one and contract with Clek to sell them as an approved accessory.

That being said: We have a private section to talk about things like modifications to a seat that are unlikely to cause any harm without seeming like we are advocating modifications in general. We aren't unreasonable, but very few of us want to take the risk of being the one the general public misunderstands.

There are also ways of making it clear on the public forums that we are just speculating and understand that doing more than speculating comes with a certain set of risks.

If the pillow case idea had been phrased as "You know I have X, Y, Z experience making sewn products and I'm thinking I could easily make a perfectly fitting head rest cover. *I* can't see a reason (as opposed to nobody could see a reason, which is like..a dare or something to come up with one) this can cause a safety issue" people may not have felt the need to question.

On the subject of that, if you post something you know is questionable practice, and state that you know it is questionable, then I'm not sure why you are upset at being questioned.

I think you ask very thought provoking questions, and that is a GOOD THING. I hope you stick around and realize that we're all on the same team here, even when we are taking the conservative approach.

Adorkable

Phineasmama said:
Wait, did I miss how a pillow case keeps a car seat from vomit?

I actually have some very thin cotton fleece that has a waterproof membrane inside it, I was using the term pillow case but it was not what I was actually talking about using.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Adorkable said:

ketchupqueen said:
If you wish to start a new thread, making clear you're being respectful of all the educated views available here, wish to discuss hypotheticals and theory of design, and are asking for honest evaluations of perceived risk in a real-world situation, politely, you'd probably get some good responses.

And Adorkable DID start a thread along those lines the other day--a thread in which CPSTs chimed in, and not necessarily negatively, either.

Adorkable

ketchupqueen said:
But coming in saying that you're going to do that and not going to listen to anyone who presents an objection because they're not people you want to listen to doesn't facilitate that.
What I actually said was that I already understood that some folks would object and I knew their objections and personally did not agree so it was a moot point in this particular case. I understand now that this is a group that feels the legitimate need to reply with rose objections again because of their professional roles.
I actually have a thread like that and I think we have had some interesting talking happen I there. I mistakenly thought this what a tiny side thought and seriously didn't mean for it derail this thread.

Speeding of that can we just stop right here? I get it ok. I clearly am cut from a different cloth than many of you and my conversational posting style rubs many of you the wrong way. While I'm not suddenly going to become something different and easier to swallow, I will strive to remember to whom I'm talking to in future post.

And since we can assume I'm not an mind worth trying to change on this particular, non life or death, subject; let's all agree we have better things to talk about.

Adorkable

An apology can go a long way in situations like this...

If you are referring to me, I have acknowledged the misunderstandings that I saw happen and where I think things went astray. As for my opinion or feeling like I do, I have nothing to apologies for. Nore do I expect anyone else too.
We disagree, and we all feel passionately about things. A few really snarky things have been said, many towards me, probably a few by me, that's a bummer but well all get past it.

Goodnight folks

V

VanIsleMommy

adorkable, with regards to car seat aftermarket products, the thing is unless it has been tested and we know it's safe, we as techs (and car seat employees etc) can't officially suggest using it. if we do, and something happens, we are liable.

plus we just don't know how something like that may perform in a crash. then there are the requirements of lead testing, fire retardant, the ability of the fabric to stand up to UV exposure and high heat.. then there are child safety issues.. what if a kid pulls a cover off and chokes or strangles themselves, or ingests something from it.

then there is the dumb@ss factor. the very people warnings on matches are made for. say you made some perfect cover, and someone's grandmother thinks "that's a great idea! i'm going to make one too!" knowing nothing about car seats or safety. then that kid is ejected in a crash because the cover interfered with the harness.

so if you ask car seat folks about aftermarket products, the official stance will always be - DON'T USE THEM.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC