For some of the newer members..

Baylor

Do you feel nuts now? I mean I am reading more and more here and just getting paranoid about doing it all right.

I feel like the more I know the more I need to know.. If that makes sense.

ADS

AnnaC

Yep. There's so much to know, and so many factors involved. There's no one straight answer for everyone.

And it's a little crazy- it's 2010 and we haven't figured out a more straightforward way to keep kids safe by now??? Crazy.

Baylor

Yep. There's so much to know, and so many factors involved. There's no one straight answer for everyone.

And it's a little crazy- it's 2010 and we haven't figured out a more straightforward way to keep kids safe by now??? Crazy.

I completely agree!!

happymum44

I know what you mean! I was a little overwhelmed when I first started looking for a car seat, but I have a better handle on things now and don't feel so crazed. But, I'm the kind of person who researches like crazy. I like to know every little thing and the reasons behind established practices. I'm just eating up the information here!

Good luck!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Stick around, Baylor. You have the passion. With education you will be nuts like the rest of us. :) Maybe someday you'll even get certified (as a technician. Not, uh, you know, certifiably nuts).

Wendy

Baylor

Stick around, Baylor. You have the passion. With education you will be nuts like the rest of us. :) Maybe someday you'll even get certified (as a technician. Not, uh, you know, certifiably nuts).

Wendy

LOL. I have always been a safety nut for kids in cars.. Little did I know then that that was still no where safe enough.

Now I want to get certified just because I want to make sure I am doing it right.. A little over kill right? Who knows.

NannyMom

LOL. I have always been a safety nut for kids in cars.. Little did I know then that that was still no where safe enough.

Now I want to get certified just because I want to make sure I am doing it right.. A little over kill right? Who knows.

Nope, not overkill :) I found this site just over 2yrs ago. After being here 3 months, I was already taking the CPST course :) I was "just a mom" taking the course, with others doing it for work- fire, ems, police, and social workers. But, I wanted to know I was doing it all right. And as a Mom and Nanny, I wanted to be able to help other parents know they were doing it right :) Want to get a little nuttier? I also took the "Transporting Children With Special Needs" course this summer :) Why? Um, just because ;)

When I came here, the wonderful people helped me get my charges into better seats. No more (improperly used) backless boosters for the, then, 5 and 8 year olds.

mrdhollins

I'm considering getting certified b/c there aren't any techs in the Washington DC area! But, yes, I've been going a little nutty here too :p

Baylor

I'm considering getting certified b/c there aren't any techs in the Washington DC area! But, yes, I've been going a little nutty here too :p

Okay.. now I am curious.. What is involved in getting certified and Where do I find the course?

My wheels are already turning..

Mae

Okay.. now I am curious.. What is involved in getting certified and Where do I find the course?

My wheels are already turning..

You go to this website, then...

- Click on "Find a Course" on the right hand side of the page.
- Put in your state, mark the "Course Type" as "Certification".
- Hit "Submit".

Viola. It will bring up classes local to you. There may or may not be classes available. They are usually towards the beginning of the summer, however, you may get lucky still. :)

Classes are 4 days long, the last day you have to do a public car seat check event. You have to pass (multiple choice) quizzes, installation scenarios, and the check event. Then if you pass, you're certified.

If a course shows up as "Controlled Course", this means that it is reserved for nurses, fire departments, EMS, etc. Sometimes if there are extra seats, they will let you in. Send the lead instructor (should be listed) an email and explain yourself and how passionate you are, and they may be willing to let you in. I know a few techs from here have taken the "controlled course".

:)

monstah

You know the best part? I have been a very active member (I check in every day!) for over 3 years. I am a tech. And everyday I learn something new. I promise, it will blow your mind. :p

I probably should edit that to be more realistic & say I learn 5-10 new things every day - But then it sounds like I am lying! :p

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Four and a half years here, and I'm still learning something new constantly.

When people ask me how I learned everything I know, the tech class isn't what comes to mind. I tell them to go onto car-seat.org if they're passionate and learn. The tech class gives nice hands on experience, some boring government stuff that never comes into play with parents (TREAD anyone? I've told one parent about it in 4.5 years, and I told him he was the only one I'd ever told), but otherwise it's not a whole lot of new info.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It only took you 4.5 years to become the :yeahthat: Queen of the World?? :bow:

*snort* Hardly. What's awesome is that the people I respect and still learn from daily (whether they were here before me or came after me) still post and still educate, and that just rocks. All us lowly minions benefit.

Wendy

TerisBoys

Almost 14 years in the CPS community. I *still* learn things. Standards change, seats change. When I started, RF to 1yo/20# was the goal. The highest RF weight on a seat was (I think) 22#. FF to 40#, and then figure out how to keep that wiggly 3yo in a seatbelt.

One law that will never change is physics.

force = mass x acceleration

This is what kills kids. This is what kids need to be protected from. Whether it's in a Cosco Scenera or a Britax Boulevard 70. Properly used it's a lifesaver. Improperly used it's a death-trap.

I don't have a certification for several reasons. But I do have a passion. And tons of knowledge. And I'm more than willing to share what I know with the next wave of techs and advocates. My kids are getting past the age/size of needing restraints, and every year it gets harder to keep up on the new stuff. Honestly, I'm here more for the community than the tech aspect these days.

I'm glad you're enjoying your time here. (You = any new people) Research and question. If it doesn't make sense, ask why. The people here are amazing and willing to share.

Baylor

Thanks guys! I looked nothing near me.. maybe in december but it sa controlled class. THAT STINKS!

Mae

Thanks guys! I looked nothing near me.. maybe in december but it sa controlled class. THAT STINKS!

Like I said, try sending the lead instructor an email. Often times, they are willing to let other people in if you explain that you are doing it because you are passionate, etc. :)

Mommy0608

Like I said, try sending the lead instructor an email. Often times, they are willing to let other people in if you explain that you are doing it because you are passionate, etc. :)

:yeahthat: I was able to enroll in a controlled course also. I emailed the instructor and explained that I'm a SAHM and very interested in CPS, and they happily gave me a seat in the class. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC