Why not rstv for main restraint?

creideamh

Okay, thank you. So for the record: I have lap/shoulder belts that can be locked and top tethers. Can you lock the belts for this scenario (keeping in mind Toyota says no to locking for boosters)?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay, thank you. So for the record: I have lap/shoulder belts that can be locked and top tethers. Can you lock the belts for this scenario (keeping in mind Toyota says no to locking for boosters)?

It's not a booster. It's a vest. ;) I'd not hesitate to.

Katy

Just wondering how are they tested in realtion to FF seats and boosters? Does Canada have them? How did they fare on the TC testing?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's not in the instructions, at least not the old ones. They're super poorly written. However the manufacturer has clarified that you can, many times. You can contact them yourself if you want.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just wondering how are they tested in realtion to FF seats and boosters? Does Canada have them? How did they fare on the TC testing?

They are tested under the vest criteria. They are crash tested on the sled used for car seats and boosters. Canada does not have them. TC has not done anything with them that I know of.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It's not in the instructions, at least not the old ones. They're super poorly written. However the manufacturer has clarified that you can, many times. You can contact them yourself if you want.

I'm OK with taking your word for it. Although if I can use the top tether with a lap/shoulder belt, I think I want to contact them for the over 60 lb heavy-duty tether anyway so I may ask then. The child I got it for will be pushing 60 lbs by the time she outgrows the Radian and moves to the RSTV full time, I think.

Katy

They are tested under the vest criteria. They are crash tested on the sled used for car seats and boosters. Canada does not have them. TC has not done anything with them that I know of.

Is the vest criteria smiliar as the booster and carseat criteria when it comes to excusion and forces?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I haven't checked recently so I don't remember the details. I do know that they publish their crash test data; you can get it on their website. They are well under the criteria. :)

gigi

I'm happy to finally hear some of the negative aspects.of the RSTV on this board. I love mine for NECESSARY NYC cab rides, but i'm not comfortable with my son wearing it at high speeds or for any length of time. He slouches too much on the seat because he's uncomfortable.

At this point I think i'm starting to be more comfortable with him in a booster than an RSTV for friends cars and short trips bc the booster wouldn't encourage him to slouch and wriggle because of seat discomfort.

I'm always shocked to see it suggested so frequently here. It seems to me to be a VERY niche product.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:
It's not like a booster seat in the way it works. It is more like a 5-point harness. The vest spreads the forces over the whole torso, not over 3 points like a seatbelt with or without a booster does.

The old style had a lockoff at the top that kept kids from squirming as much. That's missing on the new-style, and I'm no longer comfortable with 3 year olds in it unless the tether can be used to help keep them in place.

I was never comfortable with 3 yos in them.

I was one of the pre-production testers and my then 2.5 yo unvelcroed the crotch strap and wiggled forward until she was flat on her back on the vehicle seat. This was using lap/ shoulder belt in licked mode and a tether.

StPaulMom

I would never put a 3 year old in the RSTV, but we love it for travel for our 6 year old.
We used it last week while on a trip in no less than 5 different vehicles and it worked wonderfully and my DD was very comfortable even riding in it for over an hour a few times. We had it mostly in our rental car and were in and out of the car 5+ times per day but it was just as quick to buckle her as it was to buckle the harnessed seat for our 3 year old. For the rental car, we just left the vest "installed" and all we had to do each time was close/buckle the vest, buckle the vehicle belt and rethread the lap belt through one of the belt guides. It took less than a minute. And, after a few tries, DD was able to buckle and unbuckle herself :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was never comfortable with 3 yos in them.

I was one of the pre-production testers and my then 2.5 yo unvelcroed the crotch strap and wiggled forward until she was flat on her back on the vehicle seat. This was using lap/ shoulder belt in licked mode and a tether.

Well, I've put my 3 year olds in them. I actually got my first one when my now-7-year-old was... 4, I think? And I'm ok with it, but I don't have an escape artist. ;)

StPaulMom

Dh has never actually used the rstv, so he has no clue how much more difficult it is that the 5 point harness.

Wait, what? :confused: Why/how does he love it so much he wants to do away with all other seats if he's never even used it? And why does he feel the need to get the kids to do it if he's not even the one buckling them up?

Lemonade

Reading this because I'll be using it soon on DS.
So I can tether with a locked lap/shoulder belt??? But for a 5.5 yr old who could be boostered if he were bigger, should I? Wouldn't head excursion be better if I just use the lap/shoulder locked belt? I'll be sitting with him so I can observe how he does with it. Thx.

christineka

What am I missing in the instructions that says you can do this????

Reading this because I'll be using it soon on DS.
So I can tether with a locked lap/shoulder belt??? But for a 5.5 yr old who could be boostered if he were bigger, should I? Wouldn't head excursion be better if I just use the lap/shoulder locked belt? I'll be sitting with him so I can observe how he does with it. Thx.

The instructions for the new model vest state that the tether must be used for children 60 pounds and heavier. It does not exclude lighter children, so I assumed that meant it had no weight minimum for tether use.

Wait, what? :confused: Why/how does he love it so much he wants to do away with all other seats if he's never even used it? And why does he feel the need to get the kids to do it if he's not even the one buckling them up?

I've spent a lot of time rearranging car seats, buying new ones, and rearranging them. He says to just get a bunch of vests and be done with rearranging and buying new seats. I'm not going for it, though. I love buying new car seats and rearranging even if it is very frustrating at times. I'm using the rstvs for dh's car and in others if a 3 across is needed. I used them a few times and found that we only need to unhook the belt from one guide and unbuckle the vest to get out, then reverse to get back in. It isn't much harder than a 5 point harness. I just need to spend some time practicing with my kids and the older ones should be able to do up themselves.

Pixels

There is no such thing as vest criteria. The RSTV is a child harness.

Is the vest criteria smiliar as the booster and carseat criteria when it comes to excusion and forces?

Child harnesses are tested only with the lap belt and top tether. Otherwise, all testing requirements are the same as a booster seat. It is not subject to the 720 mm "tethered" head excursion standard that most forward facing harnesses are held to.

AFAIK, NHTSA has never actually performed compliance testing on the RSTV. I am much more interested in the testing numbers from an independent third party than I am in manufacturer's self-reported numbers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC