WHY I don't like warm weather...

Simplysomething

Today, when getting ready for a bath...I saw...on ds1's back..

A tick.

Ugh.

It was still just crawling around, hadn't bitten him yet and obviously hadn't fed. He went to a watery grave in the toilet.

But now I keep feeling...crawly things.

There was a spider hanging from the ceiling fan just now. And the mosquitoes have been out for a couple of months. The stinging bugs are back...and they really really like the holly bushes AND the red tips. I swear, those bushes buzz.

But, hey, there is a big fat robin that lives in one of the trees, and ducks in the ditch, so it isn't all bad.

Plus, on the way to work Thursday, I saw a freakin TURKEY walking along the side of the rode.

I also saw a possum, but he was beside the interstate and a bit dead. And a deer, who was in a similar condition.

But, gah I DON'T LIKE TICKS!

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
*GASP* TICKS :thumbsdown:

Yikes I was just asking DH the other night when he thought they would be out. He said he isn't going to like it because I will be all paranoid; LOL! Yep he is right I will be. Thanks for the first TICKS warning :D

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
EWWWWW ticks are the nastiest aren't they?? I found one on my 9yoDD a couple weeks ago - thankfully it was still crawling around and had not fed. Ick ick ick.
Renee

southpawboston

ticks are gross. ugh. my DD1 got one imbedded in her thigh, the day DD2 was born, and i was freaking out as i was in over-protective mode. it hadn't fed, thankfully, and hadn't been embedded long enough to have transmitted any disease (i knew when it had happened based on where we were and when that day). and luckily it was a dog tick and not a deer tick, which would have freaked me out 1000x more.

InTheWoods

Ticks are just gross.

DS had one stuck in his back last summer. I was really worried...all the awful things I hear following tick bites. Long story short, the ped dug it out, DS was a real trooper, and no lasting affects.

OP, you cracked me up with your description of the "bit dead" possum and the deer "in a similar condition".

Kristin

Laurenc0101

Ewww...ticks!? I haven't ever had to deal with any personally, but the thought makes my skin crawl.

We have the mosquitoes here and more recently, the stinging catepillars:eek: Don't you just love summer:rolleyes:

Loved the descriptions of the bit dead animals:ROTFLMAO:

Lauren:)

tjham

Ummm, it may be a myth but I have always heard that you have to actually kill (like drown in alcohol or (shudder) squish or pop) a tick to make sure it is more than a little bit dead :D , that if you flush them, they can work their way back up :eek: ! Oooooh, sorry for the thought but it MAY be true and I'd rather you knew.

OK, did a Google and it looks like about half the sites say DON'T flush and the other half say DO flush. But they all seem to say don't squish them. I never could myself but that's what my mom always did. She seemed to get a perverse pleasure out of popping them. Ewwwww!

http://www.google.com/search?q=ticks+toilet&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nasty. I'll tell you how to kill a scorpion if you'll tell me how to pull a tick off once it's embedded itself :). We occasionally travel to forest country and that would be useful information for me.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Ewww! I have never seen a tick but they sound gross and scary! I am glad you caught it before it did anything to your kiddo!

arly1983

Nasty. I'll tell you how to kill a scorpion if you'll tell me how to pull a tick off once it's embedded itself :). We occasionally travel to forest country and that would be useful information for me.

I have always heard that if you have a tick attached to you: to light a match and then blow it out and put the tip on the tick and it will let go. So that way when you pull on it, the head doesn't stay imbedded in the skin.

I have no way to verify that (and it always sounded like a good way to get burned to me :whistle: ) except thats what my Granny always did..

Death by Alcohol sounds good :thumbsup: I have used that myself before, as we live in South Georgia in the woods...

broken4u05

Ticks are very common here. My mom used to do tick checks every night. And we get them on our dogs and cats not as much with the meds we give them but still some and i have to pick them off. I just take them off and sorry but i do pop them. They never seem to bug me.

Melizerd

Ugh Ticks really creep me out. I can handle alot of things but ticks make me want to barf.

I've worked for a veterinarian and had to clean up the room after they were removed from dogs and it's just the creepest thing EVER.

jn__

ugh we have them here too. But the little deer ticks. I keep my poor yorkie nearly shaved so I can check him every day (I don't want to use advantage, he seems to have side effects from those types of things. Plus, who wants to put pesticide on their dog??)

but I'll never forget the day I was at work, idly scratching the back of my neck while thinking, and felt a HUGE DOG TICK in my hair, just at the edge of my hairline! I nearly screamed, and the woman next to me came and took it out for me. She was laughing, and said she gets them all the time from her dog so they don't even bother her anymore. yick!

Melizerd

I have always heard that if you have a tick attached to you: to light a match and then blow it out and put the tip on the tick and it will let go. So that way when you pull on it, the head doesn't stay imbedded in the skin.

I have no way to verify that (and it always sounded like a good way to get burned to me :whistle: ) except thats what my Granny always did..

Death by Alcohol sounds good :thumbsup: I have used that myself before, as we live in South Georgia in the woods...

This is true we've done it at the vet I work at. Also true to drown them in alcohol and NOT squish. I've dealt with them too many times.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I just had FOUR deer tick bites and therefore had to be put on doxycycline to prevent disease. It was SO gross!!!!!!!!!!!! I had never been bitten by a tick and then got FOUR, DEER ticks nonetheless, bites in a single weekend. GROSS!!!!!!!!

InTheWoods

Nasty. I'll tell you how to kill a scorpion if you'll tell me how to pull a tick off once it's embedded itself :).

Unscrew tick counter-clockwise using tweezers held as closely to victim's skin as possible.

I'd read about smearing Vaseline or burning bottom w/ blown-out match, which is supposed to make the tick back out, but it wasn't rec'd on a tick safety site I Googled when DS had one stick in him. And I've never tried those methods to see if they work despite their not being rec'd.

Do you have scorpions? To me, those are too big to squish. DH found one when he moved into his new studio years ago. Quite a welcome!

Kristin

tjham

We get scorpions occasionally. We put them in a glass jar and screw the lid on and they very slowly die. :eek: My husband likes to put them in resin and display them in the garage to remind us not to run around barefoot outside at night! :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC