Why do we trust NBD car seats?

elyrayday

I have been looking to replace a car seat lately and checked out NBD based on all the discussion on this site. I keep seeing seats with condition listed as "box opened, resealed". Why do we trust these seats? How do we know the seat was not dropped or treated badly by someone? It seems that if we don't trust gate checked seats (even if they look perfect), why should we trust NBD seats?

I feel like maybe car-seat.org is making me paranoid - the whole gate checking thing was very surprising to me. The seat I was looking to replace is actually one that I had gate checked, and honestly it looks perfect. Do you think all this thinking is overkill with maybe a touch of OCD? I feel like this site might naturally appeal to OCDers and worry warts...? (I don't mean this in a bad way, just trying to figure out when I am being cautious versus overly paranoid)

ADS

StillThankful

"As is" would concern me more than anything.

The "open and resealed box" and "visible box damage" doesn't bother me.

I remember ordering a GN from them and it came in pristine condition w/ all tags attached and a 12/11 DOM. It had clearly never been put together--GNs require some assembly.

I've ordered so many kids' learning toys during Christmas from them--none were described as "new"--and they came in perfect condition. In fact, I didn't even see box damage.;)

Here is the GN packaging I ordered this past March:

DSCN0416 by StillThankful, on Flickr

DSCN0417 by StillThankful, on Flickr

HTH

Last edited:

ckelly626

My chaperone I bough almost a year ago was a "visible box damage" item and it had one teeny tear in the corner. That was it. And honestly that could have happened in shipping. How do we know the UPS guy doesn't take out seat and toss it around the back of his truck? Now if my box showed up badly battered I would return it and NBD has a good return policy so I don't worry about ordering from them HTH :)

Cryssy Jane

I won't purchase anything as is but I'm ok with box damage. Nbd is usually strict on their descriptions. I've ordered many non carseat items that say visible box damage and it's been significantly minor.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

duckmama

The items I have bought from them came in the same condition as those I got from albee baby and babies r us online. Even open box visible damage ones were exactly the same. The box had some tiny damage which has ended up being the same type of damage of just about every kids item I have shipped new from anywhere to my house. I don't think you can know with anything how it's been treated. The main difference is when you check a seat it has not been wrapped in styrofoam so if it was thrown it was not cushioned, but in the shipping packaging it is expected it may get some rough treatment. There is no way to know even if the seat came with tags if it was put in someone's car and dropped or not, but that is true of other places you buy as well.

PunkyMonkey

Every seat I've ever ordered from Target or amazon (4 now) has come in a way less than perfect box. You'd think I man handled my Britax boxes, they must use thinner cardboard! But the seats are always perfect not a nick on them!

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse autocorrects!

elyrayday

Even if they LOOK the same...how can you know for sure (for open/resealed products, not so much box damage ones)? What is the explanation for how NBD can offer them so highly discounted anyway?

If a lack of visible damage is good enough for us to use NBD seats (opened box, resealed), why is that not good enough for a gate checked seat?

Maybe it's all well and good, but I can not see how gate checking is that different in a sense. Would those of you who are comfortable with NBD also be fine with a gate-checked seat that looks perfect?

I am really not trying to worry anyone about their NBD seat at all. My gut is telling me that the seats are fine to use....but then I also think that should hold for "no visible damage" gate checked seats.

mom2kandm

I am no expert on this issue, but i think when you check in your carseat, you are just checking in your carseat, without a box. I think the box affords some protection from rough handling. Although some boxes are better designed than others. I think i read that most people are fine checking in your seat if you do it in your original box.

As for NBD, this is my first time buying a seat from them. I bought one with visible box damage. I think its about comfort level. Just because a box is sealed and looks good doesnt mean it wasn't mishandled or the seat wasn't dropped. For instance, britax boxes are pretty flimsy and are not sealed. It wouldnt be hard to "use" it and it and put it back in the box and you would't even know it.

ckelly626

NBD is a reseller that buys open box or closeout items in bulk then sells at a discount. Bottom line is I think that each person has to decide if they are comfortable buying a seat in the circumstances NBD sells them. If you're not, don't buy one. And honestly, I can see someone going to the hassle of using a seat, crashing in it and then re-ataching the tags (mine came with original tags atached to the harness), reboxing it and sealing it and sending it back to a store. But then again, there are some odd people out there :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some of us aren't. I will occasionally buy open-box returns AT the store, where I can see condition for myself, ahead of time. Generally I don't do it online.

Now, a stroller from NBD I'd be fine with.

StillThankful

And honestly, I can see someone going to the hassle of using a seat, crashing in it and then re-ataching the tags (mine came with original tags atached to the harness), reboxing it and sealing it and sending it back to a store. But then again, there are some odd people out there :rolleyes:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jessica61624

ketchupqueen said:
Some of us aren't. I will occasionally buy open-box returns AT the store, where I can see condition for myself, ahead of time. Generally I don't do it online.

Now, a stroller from NBD I'd be fine with.

:yeahthat: I've never felt the urge to buy a car seat from there. I did buy the "returns" for wayfare.com. but they came sealed in the original box with the tape still intact.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have any problem with gate checked seats or even baggage checked seats... if there's obvious damage, of course that's a different story, but I'm not worried that being dropped or thrown will hurt them (considering I work retail and see how much things get thrown around before you buy them, anyway :eek:)

krfogle88

Ive bought about 4 different boosters from nbd and all have been in original box, not opened, in plastic, tags attached, etc. no issues here. ive also bought from wayfair returns and havent had issues there either.

keri1292

Everything I've received has been in great shape though the box may be a bit abused. No more than the car seats I've ordered from non-discount sites. All tags attached, in plastic, recent DOM. All of my seats have been amazon returns. I'm 100% fine with it. There is no guarantee that your seats haven't been tossed about no matter how you receive them. And the seats I've purchased follow NHTSA's guidelines for replacement. Some possible rough handling isn't even comparable to a minor accident. :twocents:

elyrayday

I don't have any problem with gate checked seats or even baggage checked seats... if there's obvious damage, of course that's a different story, but I'm not worried that being dropped or thrown will hurt them (considering I work retail and see how much things get thrown around before you buy them, anyway :eek:)

I guess this is what I was getting at - I would think a person would either be against both (NBD opened items AND gate checked seats, all of which look perfect) or fine with both. (Obviously, visible damage is a whole other story.)

My mind is still wrestling about my gate checked seat and whether it's fine or not. I mean, a NBD or another returned seat might have been dropped and kicked around too... I agree I don't think that a NBD seat was in a crash, but gate-checked items were not either.

Maybe a little vote would help if you guys are willing...Would you
A) Keep current gate-checked seat that looks perfect
B) Replace through NBD with an opened box item

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Uh, personally, I'd lean toward neither. I'd replace with a seat from somewhere where I knew the condition ahead of time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC