Which seat next??!

amymariee

Okay I care for a little girl who turned three about two weeks ago . She is approx 37 pounds and 37 inches . I bought her a nautilus last year in June that she uses with her mom and me .. And whoever else she might be going with ! She had a Costco scenera from age 1-2.. Anyways that seat is at home and she is close to outgrowing it... There are times that her mom has the car seat installed .. And ran out somewhere and we need it so we need a 2nd back up carseat .... A friend suggested a High back booster since it would only be used like 1 time month if that..and it would not be bought for at least six weeks ?! Anyways what do you guys recommend ! None of us have a lot of money right now either

Oh and we are from Edmonton Alberta
We have zellers,walmart Canadian tire , bru and sears to shop at

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A high back booster would be an appropriate choice if she was over four, but not as a brand new three.

If you cannot get another Nautilus, check out the Evenflo Maestro. It has top slots nearly as high as the Nautilus, 50 pound harness limit, and it's $80.

Wendy

tiggercat

How is she outgrowing the nautilus? At 37lbs and 37 inches she should have years to grow? (for comparison, my almost 6 yr old still fits comfortably at 47lbs/47.5 inches!). Have you raised the headrest up to expose the higher harness slots?
Otherwise, what Wendy said. No booster until at least 4. In a booster, she is responsible for her own safety, so she has to be mature enough to sit correctly at all times.

T4K

tiggercat said:
How is she outgrowing the nautilus? At 37lbs and 37 inches she should have years to grow? (for comparison, my almost 6 yr old still fits comfortably at 47lbs/47.5 inches!). Have you raised the headrest up to expose the higher harness slots?
Otherwise, what Wendy said. No booster until at least 4. In a booster, she is responsible for her own safety, so she has to be mature enough to sit correctly at all times.

I think she meant that she was outgrowing the backup scenera and need another spare. I was confused, too ;-)

I'd go with a Marstro. It's $80 and available at number of places.

On my iPhone...Probably NAK or PAK ;-)

smackeen

I would definitely look at either another Nautilus or a Maestro.

Law in Canada is 4 years old and 40lbs (booster), so not legal before that (also not safe as LO is so young too)

amymariee

Yeah its more expensive I wish I knew when the trade and save was because I could save money to buy a second Nauti which was 218 when I traded last year and now should be about the same cause it's no different pricing then last year

What about the evenflo generations it goes to 65 pounds .. This little girl was 32 pounds a year ago . But gained most those 5 pounds from Jan-march .. As for height I know she was just 35 last June and is now very close to 37 if not 37.... This seat would be 120 with trade in

Another option would be
True Fit --- 160 with tradein
It goes to 65.
Complete air goes to 50 lb same price
Evenflo triumph goes to65 n is 128 with trade
Soooo what do you think ismybest option

mam521

Okay I care for a little girl who turned three about two weeks ago . She is approx 37 pounds and 37 inches . I bought her a nautilus last year in June that she uses with her mom and me .. And whoever else she might be going with ! She had a Costco scenera from age 1-2.. Anyways that seat is at home and she is close to outgrowing it... There are times that her mom has the car seat installed .. And ran out somewhere and we need it so we need a 2nd back up carseat .... A friend suggested a High back booster since it would only be used like 1 time month if that..and it would not be bought for at least six weeks ?! Anyways what do you guys recommend ! None of us have a lot of money right now either

This little one can't go into a booster until she's 40lbs. Canadian law is 40lbs and depending on the booster, it may even specify 4yo as an age requirement and/or a minimum height requirement. A 3yo also doesn't have the maturity to be responsible for her own safety. Even the most well behaved 3yo's are easily destracted.

I have a hard time believing the Nauti is outgrown by a 37" kiddo. I'm certainly not trying to be rude, but my 75th percentile, 40" 4yo still has TONS of room to grow in this seat. As suggested, has the headrest been moved up to reveal the upper harness slots? And, has the body pad insert been removed? It kind of hides the upper harness slots making it possibly apear outgrown.

As a cheap alternative, the Maestro goes on sale often for $99. Costco.ca also has the Complete Air for $129 which has high harness slots and a 50lb weight limit. It would certainly be easier to move from car to car than Nauti is just by weight.

canadiangie

Because she is under 40 pounds she still needs a 5 point harness, by law.

She is also too young to be in a booster.

You could look at the Evenflo Traditions at walmart. I think they are around $99. The Evenflo Maestro would be even better, it's $129 ($99 when on sale).

featherhead

Because she is under 40 pounds she still needs a 5 point harness, by law.

She is also too young to be in a booster.

You could look at the Evenflo Traditions at walmart. I think they are around $99. The Evenflo Maestro would be even better, it's $129 ($99 when on sale).

Those, plus the Evenflo Triumph 65 at Walmart (149?). That one goes to 65 lbs, and the top harness height is between 17 and 18 inches.

smackeen

You mentioned the Generations 65. I have it and the Maestro. If this little girl is that tall then the generations will not long at all. I find that the maestro has more room to it.

Evenflo Generations HS 12-16.5"
Internal harness 20-47 lbs.
Auto seat belts 40-100 lbs.

Evenflo Maestro THS: 18"
Forward facing 20 to 47lbs
Booster 40 to 100lbs.
* Note that the booster mode is outgrown around the same time as the harness height

Graco Nautilus THS: 18.25 "
forward facing only
5-pt. harness system from 20-65 lb.
high-back belt positioning booster from 40-100 lb.
backless booster for 40-100 lb.

Info taken from here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=159741

Going by this, she would not fit in either. By any chance are you missing the top most slots on the nautilus? I hear the sometimes get missed as they are under the headrest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC