Which RF Convertible for MDX?

D

Debh2007

Please help.
It is time for me to buy DD a convertible. DD is about 1.5" from the top of her Snugride (the 26" limit one). DD is nowhere near the weight but is tall (25" at her 4 month). She will be 6 months old later this month.

DS is 28mo. old FF in his Marathon and I plan to keep him there until he outgrows it. (Currently about 39inches/32lbs).
When DS was RF in the Marathon there was NO room for the front seat passenger and one of us had to ride in back. Now with 2 we can't do that.
DH and I are 6'4" and 5'10" respectively.
We need some room in front.

My question is - is there a very high quality convertible car seat that doesn't take as much room as the Marathon, but will last a long time and be able to keep DD RF for as long as possible?

The other question I have - DD and DS are tall and thin - is there a height limit on the Marathon?

Any suggestions of what to buy and also how to manage transitions with as few purchases as possible would be appreciated.
Quality is much more important than price to me.

Thank you,
Deb

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sounds like a Roundabout may be good for you guys. It's a Britax, but with a shorter shell than the Marathon. It harnesses to 33 pounds RFing, but only 40 FFing. By the time your daughter is ready to move up you can sell it and put it toward another Marathon, or see what is available then.

As for the height, they're just guidelines. RFing seats are outgrown when there is less than an inch of shell above the head. Doesn't matter if they're 20" or 28" for an infant seat. Depends where they carry their length.

HTH

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Wow, I'm really surprised -- my dad is 5'10" & rode comfortably in my SO's MDX with a Boulevard RF (same shell as the Marathon). Although, my DD was almost 4 & the seat was quite upright. Only infants need the 45 degree recline....

Height limit RF is when the top of the head is within 1" of (or even with) the shell/frame, depending on the manual. Wendy is absolutely correct about how kids carry their height torso vs. leg :)

If your children are tall like you then it would be safest to have a taller shell carseat like the Marathon to keep them RF longer (AAP + NHTSA urge parents to keep kids RF until the maximum limits regardless of age) -- if this requires 1 adult sits in the back then that just means the kids will be more contented & that adult will be 40% safer in a crash :cool:

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A properly installed rearfacing marathon should take up no more room than a snugride. If you can stand to sit in front of the snugride, then you should easily be able to sit in front of the marathon, even rearfacing. It does not need to be reclined to 45 degrees for an older baby, it can be more upright. Why not give it a try before you decide? If it'll work, I'd get a Safeguardseat for the older child and put the baby in the Marathon. If you are seriously cramped in front of the snugride, then the Roundabout is going to offer you a little more leg room up front.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am able to put a rf'ing Boulevard and Decathlon (both are the same shell as the Marathon) rf'ing in the back of my MDX. I only put them in there to test them out since my youngest is still in his infant seat but they definitely fit allowing ample room for the front passengers. What year is your MDX? Mine is a 2007 which was a big redesign so maybe yours has less room then the new ones??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC