Where do the legs go?

kathysr98

I'll add that my 4.5yo 90th percentile daughter demanded to be RF again after I 'let' her FF at 4y3m. She's much happier that way, and can always find a place for her legs. :)

ADS
Another vote for the comfort of RF! I just turned a (then) 5.5 year old FF not too long ago, and she has NOT stopped complaining about her "legs being sleepy and tingly" after she's in her seat FF (Britax Boulevard) for more than half an hour. What I've noticed is that she ends up putting her feet up on the seat in front of her, or bending her legs up and putting her heels at the foot of her seat. Another example is the 3.5 year old I have RF in a Boulevard, which is just an Advocate without the side impact cushions, is that he never ever complains, and he's a winey one! (These two kiddos are abnormally small, though, so don't expect to see alot of kids RF that long in a New Gen Britax ;) ). Usually, if you just take their shoes off for long drives to make it easier to stick their feet in different positions it will be an immense amount more comfortable than FF, not to mention more than 500% safer, statistically :):) The picture above, beside my screen name is a (then) 3 year old, in his Boulevard RF :) Wonderful to see the effort you and your wife are putting into carseat safety, way to go!

ETA: Another thought, kids rarely sit with their legs straight at the dinner table, or at story time in school, etc so I would assume they don't even notice it in the car :)

Phineasmama

happiness-and-balance said:
Another vote for the comfort of RF! I just turned a (then) 5.5 year old FF not too long ago, and she has NOT stopped complaining about her "legs being sleepy and tingly" after she's in her seat FF (Britax Boulevard) for more than half an hour. What I've noticed is that she ends up putting her feet up on the seat in front of her, or bending her legs up and putting her heels at the foot of her seat. Another example is the 3.5 year old I have RF in a Boulevard, which is just an Advocate without the side impact cushions, is that he never ever complains, and he's a winey one! (These two kiddos are abnormally small, though, so don't expect to see alot of kids RF that long in a New Gen Britax ;) ). Usually, if you just take their shoes off for long drives to make it easier to stick their feet in different positions it will be an immense amount more comfortable than FF, not to mention more than 500% safer, statistically :):) The picture above, beside my screen name is a (then) 3 year old, in his Boulevard RF :) Wonderful to see the effort you and your wife are putting into carseat safety, way to go!

ETA: Another thought, kids rarely sit with their legs straight at the dinner table, or at story time in school, etc so I would assume they don't even notice it in the car :)

My 5.5 year old FFer is most comfortable in her frontier because it's so roomy she can sit cross legged! Otherwise she's always kicking the seats and it's really annoying.

Phineasmama said:
My 5.5 year old FFer is most comfortable in her frontier because it's so roomy she can sit cross legged! Otherwise she's always kicking the seats and it's really annoying.

I've been looking into getting a Frontier for her ;) I had one way back, but sold it when I decided to re-rear face her at 3 and a bit. I could totally see how they would be more comfortable for larger kiddos, the seat pan is huge and super padded! Now to hunt down a cow pattern one...

Phineasmama

Yeah I love the cow! We have one Cowmoo and one Rushmore and I am trying to find a cow for that one too. I know people are always saying it's overkill for normal sized kiddos but I love them and they last so long that by the time they expire my 1 year old will be in a booster! I don't think they could cross their legs quite as well in any other seat either.

Little Ps Mama

My four year old rides rear-facing in his Radian with his legs "criss cross applesauce". He rides the same way when he's forward-facing because he doesn't like them dangling from the seat. :)

girls2sweet

My 18 month old is really cramped already in her ProRide. I LOVE the seat, but DH is already wanting to turn her around. I am going to make it to 2, but I don't know about any longer. I don't really understand how some can have so much more room than others, but they do.

Phineasmama

My 18 month old is really cramped already in her ProRide. I LOVE the seat, but DH is already wanting to turn her around. I am going to make it to 2, but I don't know about any longer. I don't really understand how some can have so much more room than others, but they do.

The ProRide is notorious for having nearly no leg room for older RFing kids, so that could be why :eek:

Jessica61624

girls2sweet said:

Its all about the seat depth and how upright its installed.

Phineasmama said:
Yeah I love the cow! We have one Cowmoo and one Rushmore and I am trying to find a cow for that one too. I know people are always saying it's overkill for normal sized kiddos but I love them and they last so long that by the time they expire my 1 year old will be in a booster! I don't think they could cross their legs quite as well in any other seat either.

:yeahthatlove:

Little Ps Mama

mlohry said:
I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in too. We have a Britax Marathon 70 and a Graco Size 4 me and just last week a friend offered to let me try a Radian as I was complaining about my 3.8 year olds who still rear faces. Her legs started being very scrunched all of a sudden in my seats. I am amazed by the Radian's leg room! My daughter seems so much more comfortable. She does the leg flopping thing a lot now, which is not at all possible with my other seats. It's also SO much easier to buckle her in. When her legs can be out to the sides it's much easier to buckle her. Before I tried the Radian I was certain I wouldn't like it, but I'm a convert :)

I LOVE the radian for older ERF kids. So much leg room! I have a Size4Me 70 also and it doesn't compare, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

soph's mom

I must be the odd one out thinking my radian has less leg room than my last seat. I had the Eddie Bauer 3n1 (I know I know but I got it new at her birth as a gift, and it really wasn't bad after the infant seat) and she had much more leg room in it... It was at the full infant recline and she just had much more room. I may reinstall it and take pics of both....

w1street

TheLex said:
Thanks for all the helpful answers! I really appreciate it.

My wife was the one who brought the car in to the fire dept. I have no idea what their certifications were. Basically I had already installed the seats, but I couldn't cinch the LATCH belts down tightly enough. They did that for me so that even the Radian that sits in the center (and is notorious for rocking) doesn't rock at all.

We have the Radian in the center position, and the Britax Advocates in the outboard positions.

The reason I got the Britax Advocates were because they had that big ol airbag type cushion on the sides. And I figured they'd be just a tad safer for the outboard seating position.

Just wanted to check. You installed all three with latch? Usually you can't do this so what car do you have?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
w1street said:
Just wanted to check. You installed all three with latch? Usually you can't do this so what car do you have?

OP has a 2011 Odyssey. It has tons of latch in it. Great family vehicle!

w1street

Ah cool. Must have missed that. We looked at a new odyssey yesterday. Love the three latch positions in the middle row :)

cupcakepirate11

My 30 month old son has a britax marathon and doesn't seem to be bothered by lack of leg room. I do push on the butt portion towards the back part of the seat vs the front part. I feel like it gives my son more room

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
TheLex said:
Diono (Britax) Marathon

I'm confused by which seat you have...is it a Britax Marathon or a Diono Radian? They are two different seats made by two different companies.

--Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

I'm confused by which seat you have...is it a Britax Marathon or a Diono Radian? They are two different seats made by two different companies.

I was confused too but I *think* they have a Diono seat of some sort in between two advocates 3 across.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Phineasmama said:
I was confused too but I *think* they have a Diono seat of some sort in between two advocates 3 across.

I understood the Advocates, then I was lost. LOL Figured we should know what seats we're actually working with for any seat specific advice.

Phineasmama

Yeah he said "a radian" in the middle in one of the other posts, but didn't say which specific model...I guess they would all install the same though.

I still can't imagine having two advocates in a 3 across :eek: The new Ody must have a really wide 2nd row!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC