Question When is it safer to install car seats on sides rather than in the middle?

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I have a ff Chicco Nextfit on the passenger rear side and a rf Graco Snugride in the middle. The problem I am facing is that my two year old has started sharing her snack with my three month old, or poking him in the eye or "helping" me calm him down if he's crying, etc. We drive Toyota Camrys, so no matter what, it'll be a tight fit. For the reasons listed above, I would like to move my infant carrier to the driver's side, but I also know that he truly is safest in the middle. I appreciate any advice you have to offer!

Thank you,
Cara

ADS

carajean

Hi,

We have a FF Chicco Nextfit on the passenger rear side and a FF Graco Sungride 35 in the middle of our Toyota Camry. The problem is my daughter has started trying to share her snacks with our three month old, poke his eyes, "help" me calm him down when he is crying, etc. Because of these reasons, I would like to move his seat to the driver side, but I know the middle is safest. I would appreciate any feedback and advice!

Thank you,
Cara

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Cara,

Actually, the ideal would be the two year old in the middle since that child is far less safe than the newborn. The newborn is perfectly safe on the sides rear facing. So is the older child, but of the two they are more at risk for injury or death, so you give them the more protected position.

Moving the baby to the side doesn't bother me in the least, but if your two year old is under 40 pounds it'd be great to turn them back around for optimal safety, and then they can't share their snacks either. If you turn the two year old rear facing you have two very safe kids, and likely you can leave the baby in the middle.

Wendy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Any rear-seating position is going to provide good protection with a properly installed and used child safety seat.

I assume you meant that your Graco Snugride is RF? Rear-facing seats are particularly effective in side impacts. While the middle may be somewhat safer, the risk is already extremely low with a correctly installed and used rear-facing carseat in the back of a newer vehicle with side curtain airbags and good crash protection.

Baylor

I always put my kids on the outside of the seats when I had two in the same row. IT was just easier and safer all around. AS long as you have both seats installed properly and are using them correctly, you are being safe. It is hard to tell a parent that one is safer than the other because the middle only works for one child.

What has worked for me is the least protected rule. Since a rear facing child is safer in general because of the rear facing, Forward facing children would go in the middle. I would put a booster rider in the middle before a harnessed forward facer. My child that is out of car seats now goes in the middle and my younger who is still in a booster goes on the outside of the seat..

I hope that makes sense.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC