We turned her...

southpawboston

we just turned DD2 FF at 25 months and 28 lbs. her signo was getting really cramped RF and she complained about her legs being bent. but the worst part was getting her in and out. the signo is a beast of a seat and with those SIP wings, for RFing it's really better suited for a minivan with large sliding doors for ingress/egress than a small compact car with a tapering door frame. although, i am impressed with how little front-back room it took up RF. we were spending so much time getting her in properly, and when you consider the risk factor of standing in an open door facing traffic on a busy street, well...

we considered swapping out the signo for our spare scenera to make RFing a little more palatable for awhile, but we realized we're not willing to give up those awesome SIP wings. DD2 never slept well in the scenera with all the head slumping (not to mention the scenera takes up more front-back room than the signo, leaving less room for the driver). we've been taking long (425 mile) trips on boring interstates this summer (and spending major $$$ on gas :eek:) and both DDs sleep incredibly well in their signos. soundly sleeping kiddos = more relaxed and alert driver.

anyway it took her all of about 5 minutes to realize that she really likes FFing. she had the cheesiest grin on her face the first ride we took. she now points out where mommy and daddy sit every time we get in the car.

i haven't been posting much here lately, as i've become more deeply involved with my newest obsession: vintage and exotic bicycle collecting!!! but for those of you who are new around here, i'm pretty familiar with the RF versus FF debate... i just thought i'd share our decision...

ADS

firemomof3

Wow, good for you for getting to 25mo.!!! I totally understand though, I have a 29mo. 24lbs. rf in a signo and there isn't much leg room! I have a minivan so getting her in/out isn't an issue, but I can't imagine having to do that in a car!!

scatterbunny

I can totally see how the Signo could be a pain in a smaller car. I don't think I'd want to use one RF in my Focus. :eek: Good for you for making it to at least 2 years old!

MOM25BOYS

:2thumbsup: for making it that long. I hope to keep DS4 ERF atleast to 24 mths. He is pushing right at 29lbs and he is starting push his feet into the back of the seat. He thinks he can get out this way, but there is no way his is getting out of that seat.:evil grin:

southpawboston

I can totally see how the Signo could be a pain in a smaller car. I don't think I'd want to use one RF in my Focus. :eek: Good for you for making it to at least 2 years old!

the irony is that she lasted longer than DD1, whom we turned at 24 mo when she hit 30 lb. she was in a triumph and had reached the limit (with no legroom problems).

i missed that you had gotten a focus... downsizing from the windstar? how do you like it?

BookMama

Senior Community Member

I'm with you, Jenny! Some days even our MA seems like a tight RF fit in our Focus. Fortunately, DD is more than willing (i.e. demands!) to climb in herself, so that's not a concern for us.

scatterbunny

the irony is that she lasted longer than DD1, whom we turned at 24 mo when she hit 30 lb. she was in a triumph and had reached the limit (with no legroom problems).

i missed that you had gotten a focus... downsizing from the windstar? how do you like it?

Yeah, the Triumph's bowl shape seems like it would be much easier for loading/unloading a RF child in a smaller car.

We traded the 99 Windstar straight-across for a 2003 Focus last month. :) 99% of my driving is within 5 miles of home, 35mph or less. Gas costs were killing us. :( And since Oregon gas is now mixed with ethanol, I noticed our gas mileage got worse. I was supposed to get 16mpg in the city with the Windstar, but I was getting more like 12mph.

It was hard to give up the safety of the van, and the creature comforts (the Focus is the bare-bones base model, doesn't even have cruise control or power windows or power door locks, but at least it does have air conditioning :p ), but overall I love driving a smaller car again (my first car was a 91 Accord, I loved that car).

In looking at cars, I wanted something that would get at least 20mpg in the city, closer to 30 on the highway, and it had to have a rear center shoulderbelt. That was it. I couldn't afford to be picky; not many folks wanted a minivan right now; everyone in my area is selling trucks and vans in favor of small cars and motorcycles. Dh sold his Ford F150 and is driving a motorcycle now.

Unfortunately, the Focus doesn't have headrests at all :( , but dd has about another year in the Regent, I'm guessing, and after she outgrows the Regent, she should have another year or two in the taller highback boosters available. When she gets close to outgrowing those highbacks, I'll either look at buying a used Frontier from someone here in Swap :p (since it adjusts a good 3 inches taller than the Britax Parkway or Recaro Vivo), or look at selling/trading the Focus for something with rear headrests.

Mommy2Marcus

I feel your pain as Marcus is RF in two 2 door tiny cars! I have now taught him to climb in himself so that helps a TON! He actually prefers to do it himself now & gets frustrated IF I try to help. I have never seen the Signo in person, but it does look a beast of a seat so I can totally see how it would be a PITA!

However WTG for making it to 25 months. That is WAY better than most people. I am going to shoot for 30lbs here!

fyrfightermomma

I tried our Signo rear facing yesterday in our minivan, It was hard to lug a 16 month old up there, there was NO way my 3 year old (who weighs 24 lbs) was going to be wrestled into that seat!

We are returning it soon though. I love the seat, but the dynamics of using it for a RFing seat, and the base on a minivan seat makes for a tough buckling in period :( Im sad though, my kids love the seat!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Shhhhhh!!!! Don't say it's better or easier, you know we are on a mission here to make ERF look like a piece of cake at all times :rolleyes:

(Actually, in a minivan in a Radian, it iS just as easy :whistle:)

ginny4

yes i agree its the DEEP SIDES that make it harder. we don't have signo but i can tell that the sides are so deep like the intera i have. UGH. he can't climb in on his own (too high) so i basically bonk his head all the time & i'm in a minivan. so i can't even imagine a small car. goodness. so i understand.

BrookeSLP

I am close to turning my almost 2 year old too. She is having fits about leg room as well. She is in the 99 percentile for height, and it is all legs. She totally refuses to cross them, so she ends up with squashed legs all the time. I have her seat full reclined trying to get some more room, but she is still pretty squooshed. My niece is the same age and is also RF still, she is short and has so much room comparatively.

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to know I am not the only one that turns a 2 yo FFing!

Last edited:

Yoshi

I think you did the best you could. Kids become vocal and have issues with various factors and we need to remember that although safety comes first, sometimes a compromise is necessary for overall safety. As for your new hobby, DH and you would have lots to talk about- he used to help his friend who owned a bike shop, and he loves talking bikes. We have a vintage Motobecane racer in the garage that he spent a lot of time customizing (back in the day when he was a young bachelor and had no other expenses except flying airplanes:rolleyes:) Good to hear from you again! Still liking the Topeak, I hope?

fyrfightermomma

Shhhhhh!!!! Don't say it's better or easier, you know we are on a mission here to make ERF look like a piece of cake at all times :rolleyes:

(Actually, in a minivan in a Radian, it iS just as easy :whistle:)

Nope...RFing is a piece of cake....as long as you don't have a signo! I've had no problem once we got our van with any seat-MA, RA, Uptown, Scenera, Radian, etc. Its just the signo!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
In our Sienna, due to the rear audio system gadgetry located on the ceiling in front of the second row center seating position, I found myself conking either my head or DD2's head on the audio system after I had to turn her Como FF when she reached 35 lbs. We didn't have this problem when she was rear facing in the Como, or in the Signo RF or FF in DH's smaller but boxy Scion xB. Hence my main justification for getting a Frontier for DD2 to use in the Sienna, because it sits much lower on the vehicle seat, and DD2 can climb into it more easily on her own. :thumbsup: The Frontier also was on sale at the time, and I was itching to get my hands on one after the Frontier's LBP installation method info. was released by Britax. :whistle:

U

Unregistered1

When A was 2ish, and had to be lifted into the seat (she would not climb in it, she would hug my leg and cry) I conked her head a couple times FORWARD facing. My doors are psycho like that and I was always trying to get her bum in the bight of the seat (Century OHS at the time :thumbsdown:) Life is so much easier with children who climb into car seats, LOL.

my2kidsSafe

you mean you aren't supposed to conk there heads when you put them in. I must be doing something wrong then.

Congrats to you for rear facing so long.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
SPB You made it much farther than most. YOu did a great job exceeding the law with RF. DD is still safe FF and you are within the law. :thumbsup:

I am all for ERF, but I also know it is now always fiesable for everyone.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
You did a good job keeping her rf'ing as long as you could!! Are you going to share a picture of her in her new seating position??

I am close to turning my almost 2 year old too. She is having fits about leg room as well. She is in the 99 percentile for height, and it is all legs. She totally refuses to cross them, so she ends up with squashed legs all the time. I have her seat full reclined trying to get some more room, but she is still pretty squooshed. My niece is the same age and is also RF still, she is short and has so much room comparatively.

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to know I am not the only one that turns a 2 yo FFing!

I turned my 22 month old ff two weeks ago for this same issue. Somedays it would take forever to get him into his seat and I swear people wanted to call the police on me when they saw me trying to force him into his seat in the parking lot. I have never had a kid make it to 2 rf'ing because my kids are all really, really tall and therefore hit 33lbs before many kids do.

JerseyGirl'sMama

for those of you who are new around here, i'm pretty familiar with the RF versus FF debate... i just thought i'd share our decision...

Lol! Now that is the understatement of the year. :D

DD is almost 18 months, still RF in her Signo. I hope to make it to the max. of the seat, but who knows? She could 4 years old before that happens. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC