Trying to decide... MT or TWE?

SignCuer

Hi... MT and TWE would be great! I see that your kids are 5 and 19 months (if I did my math right :D)

I want to see how TWE is in a car bracing behind a seat. What age is the youngest they can be in a TWE?

Can you do a 3-across with a MT?

Thanks a bunch!

ADS

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
If I install the MT in the rear center with the lap-only belt, do I still use the lock-offs, or does the install differ from a lap/shoulder belt install?

gsdguenter

faithfulorangekids;1713353 Can you do a 3-across with a MT? [/QUOTE said:
I will check tonight when DH comes home with my car (where the MT is installed) in my Elantra, but I would say NO, you can not do a three across with an MT. It is pretty wide. Let me try RN, RN, MT and I'll tell you how it goes.

I could also try a CA or MR next to the MT, but I can say pretty confidently that neither of those would fit.

Be back in a few hours with pictures :thumbsup:

hrice

Hi... MT and TWE would be great! I see that your kids are 5 and 19 months (if I did my math right :D)

I want to see how TWE is in a car bracing behind a seat. What age is the youngest they can be in a TWE?

Thanks a bunch!

I can get a 3 across with a MT in my '07 Yukon XL. MT/MA70/Clek Olli
I have not tried a 3 across with anything but a backless as the third seat though. I am almost positive a RN would fit though since it is more narrow than the Clek.

gsdguenter

If I install the MT in the rear center with the lap-only belt, do I still use the lock-offs, or does the install differ from a lap/shoulder belt install?

I actually don't use the lock offs on my MT because the install is better without them. The way my buckle leans on the seat (even when twisted twice) I just didn't like. I know you can twist three times, but I couldn't muscle it :p

Oh, and I didn't get a good center install with my MT either (Elantra)

Center installs are allowed but would make it awfully hard to get another seat next to it if you needed that.

hrice

I actually don't use the lock offs on my MT because the install is better without them. The way my buckle leans on the seat (even when twisted twice) I just didn't like. I know you can twist three times, but I couldn't muscle it :p

Oh, and I didn't get a good center install with my MT either (Elantra)

Center installs are allowed but would make it awfully hard to get another seat next to it if you needed that.

I thought the lock offs were required? :confused:

gsdguenter

I can get a 3 across with a MT in my '07 Yukon XL. MT/MA70/Clek Olli
I have not tried a 3 across with anything but a backless as the third seat though. I am almost positive a RN would fit though since it is more narrow than the Clek.

Wow! That's awesome. I'm going to have to play around now :)

The Elantra is probably smaller than your Yukon, and I've only ever tried RN, RN, RN back there. But, now I'm curious . . .

newyorkDOC

Thanks a bunch!

This is in a 2010 prius:
P3180080.JPG

I just measured DD and she is 88 cm / 34.6 inches. The youngest they can go into the TWE is at 9 kg which is about 20 lbs. We moved DD right after her first birthday as she was outgrowing her cabriofix for height. She is 90% for height and 50% for weight.

Adventuredad

Lockoffs are are there to keep the seat in position before a collision. Lockoffs will break/open in an accident. MT is quite heavy and a very solid seat so it will stay nicely in place without lockoffs. I find it easier to get a tight installation with the lockoffs but this depends on vehicle.

TWE has a slightly shorter seat shell than MT but does last slightly longer. About an inch or tow longer. TWE is a bit roomier and might be better for those kids who are strongly built with wide shoulders.

TWE is a simple seat if we look at the construction. It's also known as an incredibly strong rear facing seat. This seat can take unreal abuse. We refer to this seat as the only one being able to withstand a nuclear explosion:)

scariestone

I thought the lock offs were required? :confused:

The manual just doesn't explain installation without them because most cars in Europe don't have ALR belts. One of my lockoffs was broken when my seat came(AD promptly sent a replacement) so I installed it with the belt locked. I also tried it with the lockoffs and, like PP, found them to be a huge PITA so its in with a locked belt. It could be that I'm just not used to them. I've never owned a seat with L/Os before. I got used to installing everything with locking clips in old cars. :p

Leche Mami

Thanks a bunch!

Are you asking about three MT rear facing? or just any combo of 3-across including one MT? I couldn't do three MT rear-facing in the second row of my Volvo XC-90 but I'd say I could do two MT and a Radian all RF probably. I can sit very comfortably in that seat between two RF seats.

In our Volvo V40 though, the back-seat is soooo narrow, I don't think I could do three-across of ANYTHING unless I had at least two Radians. We have a Boulevard and MT in that car and only a teddy bear seriously fits between the two.

We actually haven't used our TWE RF in the back seat. We have used it FF in the third row of our XC-90 and FF in the middle row next to the MT (I couldn't get an independent install side-by-side RF). The TWE is actually primarily used in a two-seater car so it is leaning on the dash with the air-bag deactivated.

Both seats sit very low so would probably puzzle best with something that sits very high or is narrow.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
Lockoffs are are there to keep the seat in position before a collision. Lockoffs will break/open in an accident. MT is quite heavy and a very solid seat so it will stay nicely in place without lockoffs. I find it easier to get a tight installation with the lockoffs but this depends on vehicle.

So there's no guideline against using the lockoffs for a lap-only belt install? Also, my Saturn Ion has a hump on the middle of the floor in the back seat. Would I have to install the MT outboard instead of in the middle?

gsdguenter

I played around for about 1 hour with three across situations this morning :)

What did work:

Adult w/out seat but plenty of room, RN rfing or ffing, MT
MR rfing, RN rfing, MT rfing ( I had to really work to get this, but they did all install independently- I installed and took out multiple times to check)

I think RN, RN, MT would fit too but my other three RNs are in my moms car.

I also think RN and adult or narrow booster and MT would work too.

I've included a bunch or pictures for your viewing pleasure :)

This was fun!

Edit: And to clarify, I could not do MR, RN ffing, and MT. The MR and RN puzzle really well when both rfing though. And MR ffing, RN rfin and MT didn't work either. Plus, the RN rfing center is really reclined in this car - a lot more than when it is outboard.

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
This is in a 2010 prius:

I just measured DD and she is 88 cm / 34.6 inches. The youngest they can go into the TWE is at 9 kg which is about 20 lbs. We moved DD right after her first birthday as she was outgrowing her cabriofix for height. She is 90% for height and 50% for weight.

I noticed you posted in reply to a query about bracing. Does your Prius allow touching the front seatbacks? Most Toyotas I've encountered that are new enough to be equipped with advanced front airbags have a blurb in the owner's manual (in the airbag section) warning against allowing a carseat to touch either of the front seatbacks due to interference with the front airbag sensors. A 2010 Prius is definitely new enough to have advanced airbags -Toyota phased them in around the 2005 model year along with the warning against touching the front seatbacks, so please double check your car's manual about this to verify whether you can do so. :eek:

newyorkDOC

Jeanum said:
I noticed you posted in reply to a query about bracing. Does your Prius allow touching the front seatbacks? Most Toyotas I've encountered that are new enough to be equipped with advanced front airbags have a blurb in the owner's manual (in the airbag section) warning against allowing a carseat to touch either of the front seatbacks due to interference with the front airbag sensors. A 2010 Prius is definitely new enough to have advanced airbags -Toyota phased them in around the 2005 model year along with the warning against touching the front seatbacks, so please double check your car's manual about this to verify whether you can do so. :eek:

Yes I checked already. It's an eu version so I don't know if that matters but all it said was to deactivate airbags in the front seat if using a car seat rear facing up there (which is illegal in italy anyway). But no one rides in front since I ride in back with car sick prone DD.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC