Triumph 65 install questions

cfinn1119

Tonight we will be installing a Triumph 65 in a 2010 Toyota Corrilla, is there anything special we need to know about installing this seat? I will not have time to bring it to a certified installer for a few days and DH needs to have the seat installed in his car so he can transport our DS to daycare in the morning.

I plan to install it using the LATCH system and on the pass side since DH is so tall it can not put a RF seat behind him.

Any advise or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you
Christine

ADS

sunnymw

1. Make sure the seat is in fully reclined mode by pulling out the red handle and letting it tilt all the way back.

2. My regular EFTA came with the LATCH in the FF belt path, so you will have to pull out the "butt" part of the cover so you can access the LATCH strap and move it to the RF belt path.

3. Put the seat in RF, hook up the LATCH hooks with the open part facing downward. Make sure the LATCH strap is untwisted.

4. Tighten the LATCH strap some, and then pull back the "butt" part of the cover in the seat again. Thread the tail back into that part of the belt path, and you will have a MUCH better angle for tightening. In some cars I have to put a knee in the seat to get it good and tight. Others I don't.

5. Check for movement at the belt path with your non-dominant hand. Back and forth, left to right. NOT at the top of the seat.

Does the new EFT65 have the knobs? If it does, and the one on the outside by the car door is too squished in the seat, the one on the inside may be easier to adjust.

The line needs to be level for a newborn, but can be more upright for an older child with good head control. Up to 30 degrees for a toddler.

HTH!

firemomof3

I would also suggest bringing the car seat into the house so you can make sure that the latch straps are routed through the rear facing belt path. And I would suggest you read the manual completely :)
I have the Triumph 65 and love it!

cfinn1119

Thanks ladies you are the best! We will bring it in first so I can put DS in it to adjust the shoulder straps before installing it in the car. And of course will read the manual throughly!

JuneBabe

4. Tighten the LATCH strap some, and then pull back the "butt" part of the cover in the seat again. Thread the tail back into that part of the belt path, and you will have a MUCH better angle for tightening. In some cars I have to put a knee in the seat to get it good and tight. Others I don't.

I just installed mine today! My son is 17 months and RF. I had no trouble getting the belt on the bottom holes, and I pulled. But the seat seems REALLY upright and not as secure as our infant seat was. It still shakes side to side/front and back. What more do I need to do except pull on the belt?

Another issue is that I can't reach the handle to make it recline. It seems to be buried in the car. Any ideas?
THANKS!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just installed mine today! My son is 17 months and RF. I had no trouble getting the belt on the bottom holes, and I pulled. But the seat seems REALLY upright and not as secure as our infant seat was. It still shakes side to side/front and back. What more do I need to do except pull on the belt?

Another issue is that I can't reach the handle to make it recline. It seems to be buried in the car. Any ideas?
THANKS!

You need to recline the seat before installing it. :thumbsup:

A tip for adjusting the recline, lift the seat at the back of it just slightly so the full weight isn't on the base, and with your other hand pull the red handle to recline it and it should easily recline.

JuneBabe

thanks for that Snowbird!
So I think I will loosen it, adjust the recline, and then try to tighten it as best I can again.
But how reclined should it be? My son is almost 17 months. Should it be at the max? The manual didn't go into detail about that, unless I missed it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You recline it before you install it.

Where are you checking for movement? You should check at the beltpath only.

Wendy

JuneBabe

thanks wendy, but I am not too sure what you mean? To check for movement (with the kid NOT in the seat) I sort of just shook it side to side...
Anything I should be doing differently?

Tomorrow I will loosen it in order to recline it, though I am not sure how much or how far?

thanks again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It needs to be at full recline for rear facing, though it can sit more upright. That's a confusing statement, I know.

Imagine the seat at a full recline. I believe position 1. If you put that on a flat surface that'd be about 45 degrees, right? Put it on a 45 degree surface and it'd point straight up. So depending on your backseat, and where you add weight to the seat (feet versus bum area), you can change how flat your backseat is, making the seat more upright. For a 17 month old you can go as upright as 30 degrees from vertical (0 is straight up and down, 12 o'clock. You can go as high as 11/1, depending on which side of the car you're looking from).

Where the seatbelt or LATCH strap goes through, that's the belt path. You want to give the seat a handshake with your non dominant hand there and test for movement. Not at the head of the seat, which will likely move. Just at the belt path.

Wendy

JuneBabe

THANK YOU!!

I worked on it this morning, and it's now in the full recline position, but I was able to turn it a bit so it's perfect! It's barely moving now too, so I am very happy.

I hope I can ask another question: The belts that attach to the metal connectors on each side are touching the tightening/loosening knobs, so it's hard to make the belt adjustments because I can't turn the knobs. Do you think it's because the seat is at the wrong angle?

featherhead

THANK YOU!!

I worked on it this morning, and it's now in the full recline position, but I was able to turn it a bit so it's perfect! It's barely moving now too, so I am very happy.

I hope I can ask another question: The belts that attach to the metal connectors on each side are touching the tightening/loosening knobs, so it's hard to make the belt adjustments because I can't turn the knobs. Do you think it's because the seat is at the wrong angle?

Could you maybe take a picture for us?

JuneBabe

I thought of that, but my husband is on a business trip with the camera! He gets home on the weekend.
Basically the latch connector straps are nice and tight, but they are touching the knobs, rendering them useless!

Mommy2Marcus

I thought of that, but my husband is on a business trip with the camera! He gets home on the weekend.
Basically the latch connector straps are nice and tight, but they are touching the knobs, rendering them useless!

It sounds like you might not be able to use LATCH for this seat then in that position. A seat belt install is just as safe as LATCH to use as long as you get a good install. I would try installing it with the seat belt & see if that solves the problem.

JuneBabe

thanks M2m. I tried to change things around, unsuccessfully.

Why do I think that seat belt is not as good as UAS? Maybe it's because I never tried it? But will the carseat be held as tightly as with the UAS??

Mommy2Marcus

thanks M2m. I tried to change things around, unsuccessfully.

Why do I think that seat belt is not as good as UAS? Maybe it's because I never tried it? But will the carseat be held as tightly as with the UAS??

As Wendy stated the seat belt is just fine & absolutly just as safe as the LATCH. In fact that is what I have all my seats installed with, the seat belt. I have only been able to use LATCH to install a seat 1 time. I have no LATCH in my car, so seat belt is my only option.

How did you not have success with the seat belt? Could you just not get it tight enough or did it not solve the issue? Could you explain, so that maybe we could help you? Please & thank you!

In order to get the seat belt tight, it is good to pull the cover back & pull through the belt path on the shoulder belt. Also, to get it tight push down with your hand while you pull to make sure you got all the slack out & to compress the vehicle seat. Then once you have it tight lock he seat belt. If you have lockin retracters, you pull the seat belt all the way out & then let it back in. The way you know if it locked or not is if you hear it clicking when you let it back in.

If it does not click, then you most likely have light weight locking belts, which is where the male end of the seat belt locks the belt when you pull it tight. Make sence?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC