snowsuit in car seat *pictures*

VirginiaDavis

So, Im not sure I understand why people are so adamant, that these things are fine. I found the THINNEST one I could, and this one really isnt that thick..

I put Nathan in it. Under it, he had on a thin sleeper, and onesie. I pulled the straps as tight as I could, I could barely get 1 finger under the straps, at his shoulders. I had to take his head rest out, because he wouldnt fit with it and the suit on. I was hurrying, because he was NOT impressed, to be shoved in his seat in that thing and me pulling him around to try to get him to fit better.

carseat001.jpg

Then I took him out. And put him back in, just like Ive seen here and didnt adjust anything.

carseat005.jpg

carseat003.jpg

carseat002.jpg

and could one of you help me with the chest clip? I never think I have it right and its hard for me to tell with him being so small LOL

So yea, I just proved to myself, that not using them is the best thing. Not that I didnt believe you! :D

ADS

featherhead

If you tighten up the straps properly, when he is just in the sleeper, then put him in the snowsuit are you able to still buckle him up? If so it should be fine. And remember that to check (when he is in his sleeper) tighten the straps only till you can no longer pinch the harness at the collarbone. It might seem a little looser than you thought, but it's just right:)

ETA: he is a cutie:)

VirginiaDavis

I could try, but it was hard getting him into it, with them looser the first time. He's not super cooperative with it though! I dont think it would buckle easily though. I may try it and hope he doesnt get super mad

Thanks :) I think he's cute too! :D and the reason I tried this, is we were having a discussion in his birth group about dressing them for winter and it was mentioned some use snowsuits, which Im not even sure what I put him in would really count as one. I have one where it has that hole, for like a buckle to go through, thats probably 3 times as thick as the one I put him in.

We just put him in and then layer a blanket or two over him, like I did with my other two. And a hat! :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In regards to the chest clip positioning, it can go up a teeny bit higher. What I always show parents at seat checks is to hang on to the chest clip so that you can point a finger from each hand out the side. Slid the chest clip up until your fingers hit his armpits, and you'll know it's high enough. (When I point my finger out, it's perpendicular to just below the top edge of the chest clip.)

Looking at your picture I think really only about 1/2" higher is needed - you don't want it up so high as to allow his chin to touch it.

I think that the smaller the child, the harder it is to find something that doesn't interfere with how tight you can get the harness. That being said, I don't think I'd worry *excessively* with using the snow suit that you had him in, for the simple reason that the extra slack that would appear from compression of the snowsuit wouldn't be as much as what you're seeing taking the snow suit off because even fully compressed material still takes up some space - it doesn't just disappear - and the suit he's in doesn't have a bunch of air in between layers. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider what he's in to be a snowsuit - though I may be somewhat jaded by the heavy snow suits I see on kids around here and the excess of 4" slack that appears when they're removed even if the harness had started out seemingly tight. That degree of slack is something that could cause catastrophic failure.

That being said, I'd be much more comfortable with another option that didn't leave that much slack, but I don't think it's the same degree of risk in the slack that you've visually seen as if there was a big bulky snowsuit. And I see that you're just using blankets and a hat anyways, so it's all good. :thumbsup:

I will say, I am surprised by the amount of slack that appeared when he was out of a suit that light weight though.

Chameleon

Ok, I just want to be clear about something, I thought we DO NOT do the checking for tightness by placing the fingers under the harness straps. I thought that was outdated. Am I wrong? I thought we ONLY check for tightness by the PINCH test, which actually by the pictures doesn't seem that bad at all. If I have correct tightness on my child I can still forcibly place my fingers under the straps just like the pics above.

He is just too cute! The chest clip I always put even with their arm pits. I bought my friend that same pattern for her baby and I love it. :)

I know the snowsuit thing I didn't understand at first(even the coat thing) until I tried it myself first (like you did). Scary....

I am actually going to do one sometime this weekend with coats in carseats and without them....and take pics... Cuz, a few people I know don't understand why they aren't safe.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ok, I just want to be clear about something, I thought we DO NOT do the checking for tightness by placing the fingers under the harness straps. I thought that was outdated. Am I wrong? I thought we ONLY check for tightness by the PINCH test, which actually by the pictures doesn't seem that bad at all. If I have correct tightness on my child I can still forcibly place my fingers under the straps just like the pics above.

The rule is one finger should be snug - not hard to squeeze under, and not loose either, or else not able to pinch a fold. The main reason for not using the finger rule is that people's fingers vary in size.

I do agree that in some seats - especially one with buckles that slide the way the SS1 does, that it can be possible to get a finger in there with relative ease because it tightens quite tight on the hip straps. And I agree that the pinch test doesn't look awful. It's why I said that I wouldn't be extremely worried because I believe with the snowsuit still on even with further compression, there wouldn't actually be that much extra slack - and while that slack isn't ideal, I also don't believe it would be enough to cause catastrophic failure in the majority of collisions.

I think in these pictures though she was really just trying to show how much room there was and then that it didn't pass the pinch test. :)

Kat_Momof3

for the chest clip... think of it as playing connect the dots... the middle should be connecting his nipples.

CarSeatPoncho

omg, your son is ADORABLE!!!! I miss those baby days... :(

Have you considered the shower cap style fleece covers? Those are so convenient and definitely more comfortable for baby.

anyway, thanks for the pix. they really prove the point.

jdubsm

Virginia - I don't have anything to add except that your new baby is adorable. He looks alot like your other son. Congrats on his arrival!!

Tyler'sMom1117

He is so stinking adorable!!!

I did the same thing with my last child, hat, blanket covering him, and a shower cap cover over the seat. It worked great and he was always warm. They didn't have the shower cap covers with my older children. I thought that was the very best invention when I had my son.

vonfirmath

Honestly, I've noticed the same with my son with our going back and forth cold and warm weather lately.

If he's in a sweater, jeans, and his cloth diapers (NO jacket at all), I have to loosen the harness. Then later he's in just a 1-piece shortall and disposable diapers, and I have to tighten the harness.

So just clothing changes can cause some give in the harness.

VirginiaDavis

Thanks everyone :) I will move his clip up some. I know a few weeks ago, it was basically touching his chin anyway, but he's stretched out some now!

I just used that one, since it was the thinnest. I think some of it is, it doesnt fit him snugly, so it was possibly bunching up some.

I do think we will get a car seat cover thing, Ive been eyeing one on mamabargains.com called a Topsit, but I havent been able to get it yet! Its this one:
http://www.weebabystuff.com/alicia/posts/123-Red-Castle-Topsit-The-Ultimate-Cozy-Car-Seat-Cover

That was actually the first time he was ever in that suit thing lol I just dont usually use them, unless we'll be outside, holding the baby or have baby in the stroller.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My mom the Craniofacial nurse would Not Approve of that Topsit thing because it would not let baby turn his head and look around sufficiently, lol. I can picture her face!

Shanora

Ohhhhh.... I like that. I may just order one of those. The only thing we have for baby right now its the Boot that came with the seat, and in all honesty its not enough for these Alberta windy COLD winters

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Geez, WHY did the Topsit have to go and use Teflon coating on a baby product? Grrrr. Otherwise, it looks nice and cozy for the cold weather we get!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC