SKJP has a new name, new seats - Diono RXT

ADS

ZanesMom

I'm really hoping that the wedge is available sooner rather than later. I can't use the Radian rear-facing in my car because it over reclines and my husband don't like it, so I try to keep it out of his car.

Kat_Momof3

Holly... I didn't reply to your van vs. car issue before because I had to think of just what I wanted to say... my brain kept going blank.

I don't know what car you drive, but I promise, you don't have to do a van... a larger sedan, possibly/probably.

and then, the debate ends up... how new of a sedan.... if you can afford one with better gas mileage than the typical 6-cylinder van, then that would be the way I'd go...

but if it comes out equal, I agree, you'll be happier with the extra room of the van.

I guess what I'm saying is, as hybrids also become used car options, you may find yourself not stuck choosing between a small car and the van/sedan option being about the same for gas mileage... and might be able to stick to a sedan... like a toyota camry or chevy impala.

Holly

We really want a van though. We have to pay off our car before we get anything else, we have about 1 1/2 to 2 years left I think.
Our car is huge for a car, it's a 2007 Toyota Camry and I love it, but I just want a minivan. I want the new 2011 Honda Odyssey (maybe by the time we can get a van we can get a used one and it will be a lot more affordable than it is now) or a Toyota Sienna I'm not sure what year.

mkmama

I'm torn on the wedge thing...we need something to make it easier to prevent the over-recline issues -- but I think a toddler boot would have been a much better option. I just can't picture how anything under the butt of the seat is going to help without creating more problems. Example, when I install my Radians, if I am inadvertantly pressing on the upper seat back too much, it pulls the butt of the seat off the vehicle seat...but at the same time puts tons of pressure on that RF boot (I'm guessing I'm probably not the only one that has inadvertantly cracked a RF boot!). Also makes it much harder to get a tight install on a seat that is already difficult to install in many vehicles.

Also, can't see any way to attach a wedge to the butt of the seat...so then there's the worry that it could work itself out, or even more disappointing, that it won't be retro-active.

Certainly hope the engineers have come up with something my mind can't come up with as far as this wedge thing goes!

The 50 lb minimum weight is also a deal-breaker for us here...DS1 is 6.5, JUST hit 50 lbs, but he's also very close to outgrowing the current Radian by height. He has about a 1/2inch of harness room left, but not much room left above the tops of his ears. I would have loved to see a minimum of 40 lbs and 5 years -- that would help keep some kids out of boosters longer, but still give tons of kids that don't hit 50 lbs til later the ability to use this seat.

I was very excited about this when I first read it...but after getting more details, thinking its not going to end up working for us. If it had a toddler RF boot, adjustable headrest that made it taller for booster mode, and a 5 and 40 rule for the booster, it'd come pretty close to be being my dream seat.

Also, count me on the bandwagon that is sad to see this completely replace the existing seats...many people don't need a 3 in 1 (and one like what we have details for won't work as booster for most that DO need/want one), and won't be willing to pay the larger price tag for a 3-in-1 vs the price tags of the current Radians.

mimieliza

Wow, I'm glad I got my two Radians through the CSN Stores clearance. I don't want to pay more for a 3-in-1 that will never fit my child in booster mode.

Also, we don't have LATCH, and I am VERY wary of heavy boosters - the Radian is a beast, not sure I would want to use it as a booster without LATCH.

The wedge for RFing is intriguing - PLEASE let it be retroactive!

Reactions: Kac

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I won't be needing one of these since all the kiddos in my life are quickly aging out of convertibles (though I do still LOVE my Radian XT!), but I am intrigued. I like the idea of the blue one! Pretty!

bnsnyde

Maybe it's not a 3 in 1, exactly? I jolted out of bed at 3am with this thought.
Maybe it's a convertible that can also function as a booster for those who hit the minimum weight. Maybe some parents would want that feature. I can't think of any for our family, but we are not every family.

For carpooling, though, I would want only a lightweight booster. It's why we have the Vivo to keep over the years...if the need comes up.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Maybe it's a convertible that can also function as a booster for those who hit the minimum weight. Maybe some parents would want that feature. I can't think of any for our family, but we are not every family..

Maybe it is because I am tired and thus not thinking clearly, but what is the difference between a 3-in-1 and a convertible that can also be a booster?:confused:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Also, we don't have LATCH, and I am VERY wary of heavy boosters - the Radian is a beast, not sure I would want to use it as a booster without LATCH.

You and me both. I also won't use the FR85 as a booster as I don't have LATCH, and it's just too much seat for me to be comfortable using it as a booster.

Pixels

Maybe it's a convertible that can also function as a booster for those who hit the minimum weight. Maybe some parents would want that feature. I can't think of any for our family, but we are not every family.

For carpooling, though, I would want only a lightweight booster. It's why we have the Vivo to keep over the years...if the need comes up.

Rear facing
Forward facing harness
Booster

3-in-1

bnsnyde

I'm excited to see it in the future, at any rate.

I figured once my child outgrows his Radian, then that's it. I can't see he'd fit in it as a booster then if the height/headrest is the exact same.

So it's probably not a seat we'd get 3 in 1 out of, if that's how it's marketed anyway.

Pixels

Where are the shoulder belt guides on the R100 and R120? If they are higher than the headrest on the RXT, then it could be a bit more practical as a booster.

Kat_Momof3

or they could make for a poor belt fit...

and either way, the way it is outgrown with the tops of the ears would be the same, making it a pretty short booster.l

WhatAboutPuppy

I... I am just not sure.

I feel like the seat is already the most complicated seat on the market, it's a niche seat with a VERY difficult install. I think if there was another seat on the market that RF to 45 pounds and had a tall seat back then this one would really only be used for people who need such a narrow seat.
So, now they've added a booster, with a 50 lb min (that's different and a hard fit). And a wedge. And FOUR cup holders. And pieces that move in and out on the seat bottom (are these going to be as hard to adjust as the head wings are currently?)
And this all lasts 8 years.

Let's see...
It rear faces to 45? or 40? (depending on the model you choose)
It boosters to 100 or 120 (depending again on which one you choose, they sure look similar)
If you FF before 40 lbs you need the sure stop thingy... but only if...
You can't use the head wings on the lowest settings.
Does the crotch buckle need to be on the 3rd setting at 30 lbs still?
Have we fixed the SL issues?
You can use a wedge for RF but only if your child is x pounds and age.
You can't use the bottom three slots FF.
You must use the boot when rear facing (what? you came to a seat check and left it at home? that's odd)
Oh, it's over reclined, but your child is older lets add the wedge (what? you left that at home too?)

At what point does this seat come with a separate carry case for the boot, wedge, 4 cup holders, and carry straps? They've sure stuck a lot of stuff to the back of the seat but this is a bit much. It's turning into a freakin' swiss army knife.

I feel like if I was doing an install at a clinic with this seat that eventually the parent would look at me and say, "you're making this up".
The manual should be a freakin' series that you get in the mail in installments.

And a name change?

The Foonf is sounding pretty good...

Chely7425

I don't think the radian is that complicated... Also not sure what the big deal is, it's a new seat... I think we all question when new seats come out to a point, just have to see it in practice

it may appear that I do not have a firm grasp of the English language... blame my iPhone

Brigala

CPST Instructor
At what point does this seat come with a separate carry case for the boot, wedge, 4 cup holders, and carry straps? They've sure stuck a lot of stuff to the back of the seat but this is a bit much. It's turning into a freakin' swiss army knife.

:yeahthatlove:

I love my Radian, but sometimes the quirks can be a bit much.

I have a friend who's going to take my "extra" Radian. She needs a car seat that can be used for both her 4 year old and her 6 year old. I'm going to have to tell her to put her Maestro in the car that has the top tethers, because I'm not going to advise her to skip a top tether when available, but she would need the SafeStop for one kid and not for the other if she uses the top tether for the Radian.

On the other hand, I feel better about her having the Radian in the car that doesn't have top tethers anyway. So it's not that big of a deal. But I really try to be careful and warn people about what they're getting into before recommending a Radian.

Maybe I need to design and sell a compartmentalized carry case for all the Radian parts. Kind of like a camera case. With labels to show what goes in which slot, so the user can immediately spot if something is missing. :love:

mimieliza

I... I am just not sure.

I feel like the seat is already the most complicated seat on the market, it's a niche seat with a VERY difficult install. I think if there was another seat on the market that RF to 45 pounds and had a tall seat back then this one would really only be used for people who need such a narrow seat.
So, now they've added a booster, with a 50 lb min (that's different and a hard fit). And a wedge. And FOUR cup holders. And pieces that move in and out on the seat bottom (are these going to be as hard to adjust as the head wings are currently?)
And this all lasts 8 years.

Let's see...
It rear faces to 45? or 40? (depending on the model you choose)
It boosters to 100 or 120 (depending again on which one you choose, they sure look similar)
If you FF before 40 lbs you need the sure stop thingy... but only if...
You can't use the head wings on the lowest settings.
Does the crotch buckle need to be on the 3rd setting at 30 lbs still?
Have we fixed the SL issues?
You can use a wedge for RF but only if your child is x pounds and age.
You can't use the bottom three slots FF.
You must use the boot when rear facing (what? you came to a seat check and left it at home? that's odd)
Oh, it's over reclined, but your child is older lets add the wedge (what? you left that at home too?)

I feel like if I was doing an install at a clinic with this seat that eventually the parent would look at me and say, "you're making this up".
The manual should be a freakin' series that you get in the mail in installments.

And a name change?

The Foonf is sounding pretty good...

I agree. I think the current seats are HORRIBLY complicated. I mean, I am no newbie when it comes to seats, but I still find myself accidentally misusing the Radian (oh, oops, I unhooked the top tether so I can use my third row but forgot to remove the safe stop... crap, I'm on vacation and want to put my DS in the seat RFing but realize the boot is at home... damn, I installed the seat RFing but forgot to move the crotch buckle into the middle slot... you get the picture).

The 3-in-1 is a crappy idea. WHAT IS THE POINT?!? Boosters are not that expensive. Why are all the manufacturers obsessed with making a 3-in-1? Thank you, Britax, for not going there. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if the new Diono is at the same price point as the Radians, has a wedge to fix the recline problem, adds cupholders, and fixes the SL problem, then we can just regard it as the new and improved Radian and forget the booster business altogether.

mommycat

I will give it the benefit of the doubt, I guess, but the picture of them made me shudder with anxiety.

I already don't like the feel of the XTs and how the wings adjust with the cover bubbling up over the back of the seat, the amount of straps and buckles on the seat seems more than for other seats somehow even though they have storage positions, the extra pads and inserts are nice for infants but there are just so many bulky parts to keep track of, and then there is the boot... and now we will also have the wedge, more movable parts (that can break), booster guides (for a booster mode I couldn't even use if I wanted to apparently) adding visual clutter, and a cupholder... it's stressful for me to just think of. I have plain old original Radian65s and really like them - they have nice smooth, sleek lines and are a nice looking seat. You start adding all the "junk" and headwings and the pouffier/meshy covers with cutouts/contours etc... it's just too busy. AND the seat looks wider. :( (I am a bit particular, I guess.) Does anyone have a pic of the R100 without the bells and whistles and headwings on it?

And add me to the club of people whose kids are too light to use it in booster mode. DS1 is 6.5yo, 45" and 43lbs. He has been gaining about 2-3lbs a year the last couple of years IIRC so he will likely be 8yo before he hits 50lbs. He still had some room to grow by height in the Radian harness when we took him out but was uncomfortable and complaining. He is now boostered, but it would have been impossible with the Radian as a booster if it had a 50lb limit, even though he would fit by height for a while. DS2 will likely be the same since he is just about 4yo, 38" and still only 32lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC