RSTV Questions

AwwMama

Thanks to this site, I have learned about the RSTV, which is a great option for traveling families, such as ours. Using it in the future would be great, because last year we toted a MA & RA and nearly killed ourselves in the airport with 2 kids/2 strollers & luggage. Truly the experience had us leery of traveling again for a long time.

I do have a few questions about its use.

1. My 3.75 yo is 34 lbs clothed. I understand the newer style starts from about 30lbs on up, however are all stores now carrying this style in small? I saw a few days ago, elitecarseats still touted the higher weighted vest in size small.

2. Our state's bare minimum for boosters is 4yrs/40lbs. Does this mean we would still have to wait until he reaches those requirements to use it in order to comply with state guidelines?

3. Where is the best placement for a child in a RSTV? My youngest is still in a regular car seat, so would it be safer to put each on the outboard to prevent head contact with the car seat in the event of a crash? Or would it be safer for him to be in the middle, next to the car seat?

3. If you have a RSTV, do you use it strictly for travel or do you use it locally as well? Just curious as to how others have used the vest.

ADS

Pixels

I can answer only question 3. It would be safer to have the vest in the middle. There was a study that showed that having a seat next to the child actually provides some protection to that child.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks to this site, I have learned about the RSTV, which is a great option for traveling families, such as ours. Using it in the future would be great, because last year we toted a MA & RA and nearly killed ourselves in the airport with 2 kids/2 strollers & luggage. Truly the experience had us leery of traveling again for a long time.

Have you heard of the Traveling Toddler? You strap the carseat to the rolling luggage. Super easy. I have a TT I use for my baby's seat, then a RSTV for my older daughter.

1. My 3.75 yo is 34 lbs clothed. I understand the newer style starts from about 30lbs on up, however are all stores now carrying this style in small? I saw a few days ago, elitecarseats still touted the higher weighted vest in size small.

Give them a call. elitecarseats has been showing the new style as well. Make sure when you order you make it known you want the 30 pound version.

2. Our state's bare minimum for boosters is 4yrs/40lbs. Does this mean we would still have to wait until he reaches those requirements to use it in order to comply with state guidelines?

You travel within your state by plane? No, the RSTV is not a booster. It's a wearable five point harness.

3. Where is the best placement for a child in a RSTV? My youngest is still in a regular car seat, so would it be safer to put each on the outboard to prevent head contact with the car seat in the event of a crash? Or would it be safer for him to be in the middle, next to the car seat?

I'd put him in the middle next to the carseat. Like Pixels said, he's actually safer impacting a carseat (which is designed to be impacted) since that'll give more than the door will. Though my daughter has ridden next to the door several times, depending on the situation.

4. If you have a RSTV, do you use it strictly for travel or do you use it locally as well? Just curious as to how others have used the vest.

We use it for both. I bought it for travel, but I find that it's great to get three across the back of my car (so this way I can pick up my mom and aunt at the airport next month with my kids with me), or it's good for a field trip when I'm not using my car, or I need to put other kids back there. We live in the city so sometimes I'll get a zip car or we'll take a cab, and we've used it there. We used it as a daily seat when we moved here as I had my carseats shipped in my husband's car. So while the car was making the trip we used the RSTV as her normal seat. And it was a PITA to use daily, but it was fine for a few days. If she's going with a friend after school I can send the vest with her to use. She knows how to make sure it's buckled properly (though at 7.5 years I can also send a backless for her, and that's generally easier on other parents).

Wendy

I find that it's great to get three across the back of my car (so this way I can pick up my mom and aunt at the airport next month with my kids with me), or it's good for a field trip when I'm not using my car, or I need to put other kids back there.
:yeahthat:
I got my RSTV for car pooling - when DD's were in kindy there were more than a few occasions when a classmate's mom would ask if I could give their LO a ride home from school, brownies, or whatever, and I'd have to say no b/c my car is a '97 Civic with a lap only belt in the center. The vest is great for those short carpool trips when I need to fit 3 booster-age kids in the back of the car, or if I need to fit another adult in the back seat with my two DD's

AwwMama

You travel within your state by plane? No, the RSTV is not a booster. It's a wearable five point harness.

No, but I can see where that was inferred. Maybe if I lived in Cali, though. ;)
I meant, would it be possible for us to use it now if needed, as in a grandparent's car, etc. I'm gathering the answer is yes from your response, provided it fit him properly, of course.

I really love the idea and that it doesn't expire. My hesitation is using it is the lack of SIP as there would be with his Frontier. Can anyone help explain this to me to ease my comfort level?

Will look into the Traveling Toddler as well and thank you for confirming the vested child should be in the middle. :thumbsup:

Is there any hope it will become FAA approved at some point or will the lap belt use on planes minus tether prevent it from ever becoming a reality?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It'll never be FAA approved. It requires a tether with a lapbelt. I wouldn't use one without a tether and just the lap belt. Some people have done a CARES and RSTV combo, though.

It has the same SIP as any other five point harness, minus a shell. So more than a booster, less than the Frontier. Putting him in the middle helps as he'll have the SIP of the seat next to him.

It's fine to use it, as your state law says that under four you must use an appropriate restraint, and the RSTV is. Your state needs to rewrite the law as it seems to imply that you cannot use a harness after four years old.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
New York is the only state with a minimum age on vests. They require 4 and 40 lbs. However their car seat laws don't apply to taxis. So the only reason you'd ever have a problem using it before 4 and 40 is if you travel to New York and are riding in a friend's, relative's, or rental car rather than a taxi.

AwwMama

New York is the only state with a minimum age on vests. They require 4 and 40 lbs. However their car seat laws don't apply to taxis. So the only reason you'd ever have a problem using it before 4 and 40 is if you travel to New York and are riding in a friend's, relative's, or rental car rather than a taxi.

This is interesting. In the unlikely event you were pulled over for a traffic violation while driving or in an accident while driving through the state, could they cite you?

courtfrog2

We use our a lot. Not as the primary seat in DH or my vehicle, but daily for my kindergartner to go to the babysitter after school. It fits perfectly in her backpack, although lately she's been hooking it to the outside of her bag somehow. LOL.

You can use the vest with lap/shoulder belt with or without the tether. The tether is only absolutely required with a lap only belt. Which is the reason we got it, but we end up not having her take the tether part with her in the babysitters van. (That tether hurts when it is swung around by a 5 year old mad at her 10 year old sister... so I've been told :whistle:)

As far as comfort, she's ridden 4 hours in one and didn't complain. And this particular child is not shy to complain and whine and cry about anything that annoys her ;)

I think its a great investment.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC