RSTV help please

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yeah, I think that would help with the bunching. I'm not sure about the gap, I've only played with a RSTV once. I think it looks like a typical fit in your pics, though. Have you tried it with the top tether/head support piece? We found it kept the kids more "stable;" or rather, they had absolutely no wiggle room. :D

ADS

Northriver

Here is the photo showing the shoulder belt in relation to the seat as it was placed when I took the pictures yesterday. It was indeed forward of the seat, pulling the front of the vest forward, creating the gap.
560139770_LaAHg-S.jpg

Today, I moved the seat up and also moved the seat to a more upright position. These are the results:

560138598_bgiaK-S.jpg

560139493_gjY5q-S.jpg

560139272_9DVtu-S.jpg

What do you think? Is the fit ok? There is still a bit of a gap, but the gap is above her armpits, across the actual chest it is still tight.

Now that I have given this more thought, I won't be using the RSTV as much as I originally planned, there are more places I can the Radian along. However, there are a few times we'll definately need it, and I'm feeling better about the fit after moving the seat today.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Sorry to butt in! Do you guys think the lap belt portion is too high on her at all?

The RSTV doesn't work like a booster. It has special padding that spreads the forces over the entire vest, so the placement of the lap belt isn't as vital as it is with a booster or just a seat belt.

cookie123

Oh, I didn't realize that, but wondered if it had to be like a booster or not. Then I thought that a seat belt is a seat belt and should be properly placed.
Thanks for that tidbit of info.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It does require that the bottom portion be long enough to bend and touch the thighs when seated, so that forces are properly distributed over a large enough area. But that's not an issue for smaller kids as much.

Northriver

The new photos look like a good fit to me, too. I would use that too. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your help!

RE: seatbelt placement: When I first buckled her in, it was lower and looked great. I ran to grab the camera, and when I got back 30 seconds later, it was higher, as shown. She probably tried to escape while I had my back turned. I suspect a certain level of maturity is required to properly use the RSTV. I'll be using this on vacation when I'm sitting next to her, not sure I'd let her use it if I was driving and couldn't keep any eye on her.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Did you pull it down before putting her in the car, and then pull the lap belt very snug before doing the shoulder portion? It may also just be that car. Especially when I use the tether, but even when I don't, I find that the RSTV keeps my daughter just exactly where I put her in the cars I've tried it with.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC