RSTV help please

Northriver

My dd is turning 4 this week, 42" and just 35# in pj's first thing in the mornings, once in awhile I still get 34.5# but mostly it reads 35# now.

We are planning to take the RSTV in addition to our Radian for an upcoming Alaska cruise, leaving in just over a week.

I finally tried the RSTV in two vehicles today and I'm not happy about the fit and frankly, my dd is pretty freaked out wearing the RSTV. While it doesn't seem to "fit" the fit looks just like the photos of kids on the RSTV box, so I guess that is the way it is supposed to fit? The seatbelt pulls the shoulder seatbelt guide to a 45 degree angle and looks a bit puckered. Also there is a huge gap, not just above the shoulders but above her chest. I do pull the vest down as far as I can before I buckle her in but it seems to ride up.

Photos in next post, opinions appreciated.

ADS

Loves2sing

So if I am understanding correctly, you are bringing the Radian as well on your cruise? If this is the case, I am guessing that you want to use the RSTV on your excursions? To make a better informed decision, I would need to see pictures.

If it's freaking out your dd, I think I would maybe stick with the Radian, and choose excursions that didn't require a vehicle on your ports if at all possible, and use the RSTV as a last resort.:twocents: (I may change my mind after seeing pictures though.)

Northriver

559484688_uXHLZ-S.jpg

559484143_v6xFf-S-1.jpg

559484354_2nKyw-S-1.jpg

559485293_F8FNM-S-1.jpg

559485058_LWowd-S.jpg

Northriver

Yes, I am planning to use the Radian on the plane and in the taxi/hotel shuttle from the airport, then use the RSTV for excursions off the ship. Some operators may have carseat/boosters for us to use. Generally, my dd is too light for boosters and too tall for most 40# carseats - plus I've even never used a borrowed carseat since you don't know the history.

Loves2sing

Personally, I would feel okay using it, but I would prefer to use the Radian when I could. However, that would be SO much easier to use than the Radian. As long as the belt stays over her shoulder, and over her hips, rather than her abdomen, you should be okay.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it?

Maedze

Gosh, she's a bitty lil thing, isn't she :love:

Have you tried giving the RSTV a good yank at the hips downward before having her sit in the car :confused:

Northriver

It seems to ride up as I'm getting her installed. She is really squirmy, which does not help. When she walks around the house, it fits snugly around the middle, it just seems too long once we get in the car.

I'm a Britax mom, I've had or still have a Roundabout, Marathon, Decathlon and a Boulevard. The Radian is from my moms car, and I had an awful time getting it installed tightly in there with LATCH/tether. I've never done a seatbelt install with the Radian, nor have I installed it anywhere other than mom's Buick Enclave. So I'm not at all comfortable installing it in a dozen different vehicles, especially where we are on shuttle vans where I'm holding up people we don't even know - I'd be very stressed out.

Not that I have to take the Radian, I have a half a dozen other seats that I could take, I just thought the Radian would be cool because I can wear it as a backpack, and if folds so I can stick it under the bed in the cabin, and dd can use a tray table on the plane for the first time ever... :)

I've got to get the kids some dinner, but I'll post a summary of our excursions in a bit.

Reading the manual and looking over the website, it seems that technically, it is fitting correctly, it just seems so loose. :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, I've found it's better to yank it down and not let her climb in herself, but sit my daughter the way I want her to sit, to avoid some of the riding up. (It will ride up a bit at the shoulders, that's just what it does.) It's ok for the belt guide to be pulled. It does in some cars.

I am wondering, though, from that side picture, if she's actually big enough for it. The instructions say that if it cannot be adjusted snugly across the chest, it can't be used. I'm wondering if it's really snug against her chest, or not. If you can't adjust it a little tighter-- I'd probably just take the Radian. It's not so bad to carry around if you get the backpack straps...

Loves2sing

If it's loose then don't use it. Use the Radian instead. Making people wait would far out weigh the risk of her getting hurt in an accident because she didn't fit the SRTV.:twocents:

If it helps at all, I have installed my Radian in many different vehicles in my travels and there has only been one vehicle that I didn't love the install. That was on a super old cushy seat. It was tight until someone sat next to her on the seat and pushed the seat down further. That was annoying.

If you are on excursions where you are in the same vehicle the whole way, and not taking random cabs from point a to point b, I would without a doubt take the Radian. If you are careful to make sure you are one of the first in the vehicle, you shouldn't be slowing down others too much. It really doesn't take very long to install with a seatbelt. Just make sure that you pull the recline down, and you are tightening through the velco side of the seat. It makes it go faster. Also, when you don't have a place to tether her seat, make sure to remove the safestop.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually, in some cars, you have to NOT use the recline to get it in. But after a few different installs you get a feel for whether you'll need the recline or not. :twocents:

Loves2sing

Actually, in some cars, you have to NOT use the recline to get it in. But after a few different installs you get a feel for whether you'll need the recline or not. :twocents:

True, but I have found with most that I do need the recline. However, there are always the exception to the rule. I just wanted to point it out, because some people aren't even aware the reclind exists, and it can help in a lot of situations, I have found.:)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's been about by thirds for me-- 1/3 of cars I've tried, I need the recline. 1/3, I need to NOT use the recline. 1/3, I can do it either way.

I usually try it without first, then with.

(I suppose I should say cars and positions-- in our Corolla, for instance, it needs the recline outboard, and needs to NOT have the recline center. In my dad's, it's the reverse!)

Northriver

Here is our itinerary, briefly, it is really a wide variety of transportation!

Day 1: Radian on plane, radian in taxi/hotel shuttle
Day 2: Radian hotel shuttle to train station (check the radian with the luggage?!)
RSTV on shuttle from railroad station to 6 hour Kenai Fjords boat tour, 1-2 miles, then back to cruise ship dock. I'll have a backpack with all my valuables/electronics/travel docs with me that day, but it is probably better to take the Radian too, instead of leaving with the luggage at the crusie dock to be handled by the longshoreman! Operator probably has carseat or booster for us to use, too.
Day 4: Bus to Mendenhall, RSTV for shuttle van or bus to small boat dock for whale watch and return to Juneau (10 miles?)
Day 5: RSTV for shuttle to train station (1-2 miles), 2.5 hours on train, RSTV for shuttle van tour, 3-4 hours - won't know until that day if vehicle will have seatbelt, operator might have carseat/booster
Day 6 & 7: Walk around port, carry RSTV in case we need a taxi for some unlikely reason
Day 9: RSTV or Radian for limo from port to airport, seatbelt only, no LATCH/tether

Northriver

I just called all the tour operators, they all made me feel like a nutcase. But I think I just haul the both the Radian since she seems to be really uncomfortable in the RSTV, and the RSTV around with me, so if I can't install the Radian, I'll use the RSTV as a last resort. They told me specifically at Mendenhall that there was no storage and I couldn't leave the carseat sitting around for secuity reasons - federal government is a bit paranoid I guess - but I guess I just leave it sitting somewhere anyway. We are doing a 4 mile hike and sorry, not taking the Radian along for that adventure. :)

It will be "getting to know your Radian" week, that will be fun, right? I'll practice whipping the safestop on and off before we go. Maybe wander around the neighborhood and try installing the Radian in my neighbors cars for practice, too...

Thanks everyone, for your advice and encouragement!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The same kind that stole one from outside my front door (in a gated-access community) while it was airing out after being vomited on and cleaned?

Some people see an opportunity and take it.

Also, they are serious about bomb threats, security concerns, etc. I wouldn't put it past them to confiscate and/or destroy it.

Northriver

Well, maybe I should take my MA, I have one that expires next month. Since we'll be on the train, I have no idea where I'd put it, likewise in the shuttle vans without seatbelts. The Radian is easier since it folds and it has the backpack straps.

However, I'm pretty sure I can install the MA anywhere. Unlike the Radian, I'm just not sure about that.

Ack - I've been planning for months to use the RSTV, I'm just so disappointed that it is too big.

Off topic, I tried to post a price check in the car seat swap and I'm blocked, I guess I need more reputation points, can anyone help me with those?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What kind of vehicle is that in the pictures? The shoulder portion looks very far forward of the vehicle seat. I think that might be half the problem?

Northriver

What kind of vehicle is that in the pictures? The shoulder portion looks very far forward of the vehicle seat. I think that might be half the problem?

The photos were taken in my RAV4, the seat was as far back as possible but it was reclined a bit, maybe I'll try if fully upright - do you think that would help? I had it in my moms car earlier today but was mostly worried about the rotated shoulder belt positioner and the belt itself being sort of puckered within the positioner, as show in the photo. I don't remember if there was as much a gap at the chest in that vehicle as shown in the picture.

ETA - or move the seat forward? I'll play around with it tomorrow and report back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC