Replacement seats after automobile theft

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Some people broke into our house last night and stole my purse and laptop, then used the keys from my purse to steal both our vehicles.

Obviously we are shaken up and there is a lot to deal with. I’m really overwhelmed and, being a car seat tech, I am now overwhelmed with how we are going to deal with car seats for the kids. I had been thinking we wouldn’t be buying anything new for awhile and so I haven’t been following the recommendations lately....and all our local clinics have been cancelled due to Covid so im not seeing what new stuff is out there.

Anyway, here are the kids’ stats....any recommendations for something that would fit well in whatever rental car we have to use?(The cars that were stolen were a 2015 Subaru Outback and 2019 Honda Odyssey, but I don’t know whether we will ever see them again...)

7 year old: 43 lbs 45” Had been in a Graco SlimFit and Chicco MyFit — both in HBB mode

5 year old: 35 lbs 38” Had been harness FF in an Immi Go and a Graco Milestone

I suppose it doesn’t make sense to buy any more convertible seats. While I love the IMMI Go, my 5 year old is not such a big fan....and it is hard to get that seat on short notice. I am not a huge fan of the MyFit because of the weight.....I am unfamiliar with what the favorite dedicated boosters are. I need something that my 7 year old can buckle/unbuckle herself.

Any advice?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Some people broke into our house last night and stole my purse and laptop, then used the keys from my purse to steal both our vehicles.

Obviously we are shaken up and there is a lot to deal with. I’m really overwhelmed and, being a car seat tech, I am now overwhelmed with how we are going to deal with car seats for the kids. I had been thinking we wouldn’t be buying anything new for awhile and so I haven’t been following the recommendations lately....and all our local clinics have been cancelled due to Covid so im not seeing what new stuff is out there.

Anyway, here are the kids’ stats....any recommendations for something that would fit well in whatever rental car we have to use?(The cars that were stolen were a 2015 Subaru Outback and 2019 Honda Odyssey, but I don’t know whether we will ever see them again...)

7 year old: 43 lbs 45” Had been in a Graco SlimFit and Chicco MyFit — both in HBB mode

5 year old: 35 lbs 38” Had been harness FF in an Immi Go and a Graco Milestone

I suppose it doesn’t make sense to buy any more convertible seats. While I love the IMMI Go, my 5 year old is not such a big fan....and it is hard to get that seat on short notice. I am not a huge fan of the MyFit because of the weight.....I am unfamiliar with what the favorite dedicated boosters are. I need something that my 7 year old can buckle/unbuckle herself.

Any advice?

Holy crap, I'm so sorry to hear this. Were you home at the time?

I'd be thinking booster for both at ages 5&7. Backless or high back. Graco RightGuide might be a nice low profile one for the 7-year old?

I hope they can at least recover your vehicles, if not the other things. Glad no one was hurt!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Holy crap, I'm so sorry to hear this. Were you home at the time?

I'd be thinking booster for both at ages 5&7. Backless or high back. Graco RightGuide might be a nice low profile one for the 7-year old?

I hope they can at least recover your vehicles, if not the other things. Glad no one was hurt!

Yes, we were home and asleep. They came in through an unlocked window and barely made any noise. I heard some noises but thought it was the neighbor’s teenage kids coming home late at night. It was so bizarre. 😔

I don’t feel comfortable with my 5 year old in a booster. She is only 35 lbs so she wouldn’t meet the min for most boosters — and she falls asleep in the car often. The older one falls asleep too, but stays in position in her booster.

I’m thinking of the UppaBaby Alta for the older one — With the hope that the anti-submarine clip might be a feature that would be beneficial for the younger one when she is ready for it to be passed down to her?

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Scary stuff, but glad they only wanted to take stuff!

I haven't used the Alta but it does look nice. The Rodifix is easier than average to buckle since no arms. Britax Highpoint still has the anti-submarine clip, too.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have a Rodifix and like it a lot, although it's seen very little use in my house as I got it only to discover my child wasn't booster ready until she was too tall for it (long story and nothing to do with the booster not being tall enough or anything, she just has special needs and is super tall). It's sitting in my basement until I decide my 5 year old can use a booster.

I still really like the Britax combo seats, so unless the new standing height limit (49" if I recall correctly) is an issue for you, that's worth looking at. It's likely to be compatible with almost any car, and if you get unlucky with one that isn't, you can always ask the rental company for something else.

I don't have any better or differing advice compared to the others, just tossing my general opinion into the ring as a show of support. I hope you are starting to feel calmer now. I'm sorry you had this experience.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC