Question Radian XTSL RF outboard in Forester & Corolla?

G

Grete

Hello!
I am researching convertible car seats for my 4 month old who will soon outgrow his infant seat. We're using the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe carseats for our older son (4 year old) and we've liked them, but it seems they are no longer made. We have a 2002 Subaru Forester and a 2003 Toyota Corolla and will need to rearface our baby's seat in an outboard position. I read something about the super latch not working in older model cars but am thinking we could still install with the seat belt and/or tether? (Trusting the car seat technicians in town here can help with that as they are great!)

I would love to get the Radian XTSL because of its safety features and its narrow width which would be great in our smaller cars. But, I'm wondering if it will install well rearfacing in the side position? I would love to put it in the center but don't think that will work as well with our older son sitting in back too.

Also, would it make more sense for any reason to switch our older son to the XTSL and have the baby in the Radians if we go with them? And, does anyone think the Radian 80SL would be better? Or, do you have some other carseat suggestion entirely? I'm open to ideas! Thanks so much in advance!!

ADS

KatieMB

I personally would go with the XTSL over the SL, they have more side impact protection. I'm not sure about the corolla, i have a matrix which is the same engine but not the same seats/interior for sure and i've never tried to RF the xtsl in there (we have a FPSV as well and use that RF in the matrix for the baby).

How tall is your 4 year old? I have a 3 1/2 year old in the XTSL and he's going to outgrow it by age 5 by my estimations. He is 40" and 40lbs and mostly torso. If I was in your situation with my kids I'd buy my older son a bigger booster seat that can harness, it doesn't really need to be a convertible, and put the baby in the FPSV RF. I'm researching boosters right now and have found the Maestro and safety 1st hybrid booster that seem like they might be good fits for us. Then there is always the true fit (which is a convertible). I had that seat at one point but wasn't in love with it as it's very bulky and I didn't like how the straps adjusted either.

G

Grete

Wow, of course....I could definitely get the new seat for my 4 year old. He'd love that! I can't believe I was not thinking about that. He's already at least 42 lbs. and I'll have to check on the height -- I think he is 41-42" or more by now.

I'll definitely look at the Maestro and the Safety 1st that you mentioned. Thanks! It also looks like the Graco Nautilus and the Britax Frontier 85 would be two to consider as well? Still not sure how they will fit but I guess anything will fit forward facing...it's the rear facing that may be tight in our cars behind the passenger seat.

On a side note, since you also have a FPSV -- do you know if it has a 6 year expiration timeframe? I'm pretty sure mine will expire in 2012. But at least our baby could use it for a year or so.

Thanks for the ideas! Now I have even more to think about! The amount of info. is amazing and this site is great!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't use the Go, as it doesn't have a shell of its own, nor does it become a high back booster. It's reliant upon a top tether to harness. It's a nice niche seat, but I don't think they're ideal as an everyday seat, especially for what you get for the money.

The Maestro has a 50 pound harness limit, so something to take into consideration for a 42 pound child. It could get you a year or two, though.

The Nautilus and Frontier 85 are recommended here quite often.

The FPSVD does have a six year lifespan, from the date it was made.

Wendy

KatieMB

Wendy, can you expand on the issues with the Go? I talked to the technician we've used in the past today and she uses that seat for her 6 1/2 year old and rec'd it to me as a solution for our oldest so we could fit 3 across in my Matrix. It has a 65 pound weight limit with the harness, right and 57" height limit? That seems like it would last a really long time, no? Why do you say it wouldn't be good as an everyday seat yet is a good "niche" seat. Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not as narrow as others, it has 17.5"-18" top harness height, depending on your seatback and the way it's installed (overall height limits mean nothing. If I have 2" legs I'll outgrow a seat really fast. If my legs are 54" long and my torso is 3" long, I'll last forever). It has a 60 pound harness limit, not 65. It requires a tether to have a harness, so it doesn't work in every car. It's really a pain to install with the seatbelt, so LATCH is preferred. You can't use LATCH in the middle of most cars. It's not a high back booster.

So, for $200 you can get a seat that's fairly easy for travel (though the times I've install them they've not been easy, and watching a mom install one in a van with low seatbacks was nervewracking), but doesn't have the highest top slots, highest weight limits, or longevity of others. Yes, it's fairly narrow. It may or may not puzzle well.

If you have space width wise, I'd look at the Nautilus or Frontier. Both have higher top slots, headrests built in, don't require a top tether (the Frontier does after 65 pounds), are fairly easy or very easy to install with the seatbelt, are high back boosters, and will last longer. The Nautilus is a harness, high back, and backless. For less money.

Like I said, the Go has its place, and I'm very happy it exists. I think I've recommended it three or four times in the four years I've been a tech. Whereas I recommend the Nautilus, Frontier, and now the Maestro practically daily.

Wendy

KatieMB

Thanks for your reply.

You can get the seat for about $170 the last time I checked, but yeah, still an expensive seat. We do travel, but not THAT much - it still would be nice for the times we do.

My car does have rear tether and so does DH's but no, we can't latch in the middle of either car so that is good to know since that is likely where I'd want DS1 if we had a third.

Space IS at a premium though. I drive an 03 Matrix. DH probably has more choices for his car b/c he drives an 07 Accord, so bigger.

ETA, from the website: 5-point harness system for use up to 65 pounds

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can get an XTSL in an 03 Corolla at about a 40 degree angle with seatbelt and a lot of work (you'll need to twist the buckle stalks down and it will tilt a bit; locking clip just doesn't work with this seat in this car) or a slightly less upright angle (around 42 degrees I think) with LATCH. Either way you can brace against the front seat (as long as it does not change the angle of the car seat) and a short passenger will be able to sit up front.

G

Grete

Thanks everyone! Sounds like it would be a tight fit but nice to know the XTSL could work in the Corolla. Now, I'm actually leaning more towards using our 2 FPSVD seats for our baby and putting those behind the passenger in both cars. We rear-faced those in the middle but it will be interesting to see how they fit on the side!

My 4 year old is about 42 lbs. and 44 inches tall....so I think the best route may be to get him either the Nautilus or Frontier 85. Looks to me like they are both 19" wide but does anyone have advice on which one would install better in the Forester and Corolla? I know my Subaru has 3 top tether positions but need to check on the Corolla. I imagine both seats would be fine and it will just come down to features/price, etc. The Britax is on sale at Albee Baby for $202 with free shipping so that seems like a pretty good deal...and if it's good for 9 years then I can see spending a bit more to get the extra height and weight limits, side impact protection, etc. That one does not turn into a backless booster, but rather a highback booster, I think....do older kids usually feel fine in a highback booster? I'm inclined to keep my kids in whatever is safest for as long as possible!

Sorry for all the additional questions. If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them! I'm thinking things through "aloud" in this post I guess! Thank you for this great forum!

KatieMB

I have a FPSV and it rear faces much nicer than the Radian. Easier to install RF and doesn't take up nearly the room, I would go that route with the baby as well :) I really, really like that seat a lot. We have a Toyota Matrix with that seat RF behind the passenger and it is a little tight but workable. We used to have it RF in the center and the top passed through the front two seats beautifully, may be an option to try if you can fit another seat next to it.

G

Grete

Thanks Katie! Good ideas. We'll have to experiment with configuration once we pick the new seats! I may need to go to BRU to see them in person before ordering them.

A bit off-topic but...I also am hesitant about the XTSL option after reading the recent thread here about the harnesses loosening or disengaging on Radians. I can't believe how many people posted concerns about this and about the SK customer service in response. A bit scary. The Radians seem to have such a great reputation so that thread totally suprised me.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Radians aren't at BRU. They'd be at a specialty boutique, if at all. Call around to places in your area.

Wend

KatieMB

I have an XTSL (actually 2 installed in our Accord) and haven't had any issues with the harness at all - would like to hear more on that as well though.

G

Grete

Wendy -- sorry to be confusing. I'm less interested in the Radians now and instead am thinking of the Nautilus or Frontier 85 for my 4 y.o.

The primary thing that worried me about the Radians was this thread (in this forum when I clicked on the 2nd page of posts/threads): http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=148238

The title is "Issue with Radian harness disengaging -- need opinions" and the OP was StPaulMom on 11-13-10. But quite a few people have posted since then and it sounds like there could be some issue that needs resolution.

Sooo....I'm going to steer clear of the Radian until more comes out on that. But looking forward to learning more about the Nautilus or Frontier 85 -- those should both be at BRU, right?

Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sooo....I'm going to steer clear of the Radian until more comes out on that. But looking forward to learning more about the Nautilus or Frontier 85 -- those should both be at BRU, right?

Thanks!

Right, those two are at BRU, usually right next to one another.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC