Radian Successful Install Thread

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
2003 Nissan Sentra
Outboard (driver's side), seatbelt and tether.
Not tech-checked.

This was the most difficult Radian install I've ever (successfully) done. If I had not HAD to make it work (no other options for 3 across) I would not have kept trying. Here's what eventually worked:

-3 full twists of the buckle stalk. It was VERY HARD to get that last 1/2 twist but necessary. Would be easier if you had someone holding it for you so it couldn't un-twist.
-NO RECLINE. It was impossible with the recline.
-Accessed belt path from the front; while BOUNCING in the seat (after buckling but before locking), removed as much slack as possible by pulling from the front, back toward me.
-Then went around the side, locked the belt, and then pulled more slack out parallel to the belt path from the side.
-Then went around the front and pulled some more out through the front.
-Then finally did the side one more time; the retractor didn't want to take that last "click" it needed to get tight. With much swearing and brute force, it did. Again, a second person would be helpful here to push down on the seat while you pull from the side!

When I had finished with this, it wiggled a little. Maybe about 1/4 inch movement at the belt path, at the most. But it was pretty solid and I was comfortable with it. I tightened up the tether and we left, I felt secure in the installation. But I would avoid doing it if I didn't have to in that car!!! The LATCH anchors are nearly impossible to access in this car or I would use LATCH next time. Ick. If you have another option in this car, do it; the install is possible, but very very very difficult (for me, and I'm an experienced Radian installer! If it was your first time trying to put in a Radian, you might not be able to do it at all.)

ADS

AtTheSouthDam

1999 Pontiac Trans Am, FF behind driver. I think this seat was made to go here! It fits perfectly into the contoured seats and puts the belt path right at the belt hieght. Installs easily and tightly.

I didn't try rear facing but I can if needed.

jodibug

I've had my RN80 since January and at first it was AWFUL, but now after a few installs it goes right in, rock tight and I can install it in just a couple of minutes.

I keep it RF'ing in the center back seat of a 2009 Fusion. Installed with a seatbelt (sliding latchplate, Switchable retractor).

And today during my tech class, for my skills test I did one RN65 FF'ing rear outboard in a 1986 Honda Civic. Twisted belt stalk three times and used a locking clip.

That one took a few tries as it was my first install with a locking clip. The FF'ing belt path scraped up my hands a couple of times but I got it in, rock solid. Obviously it was checked by a tech instructor.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
2009 Toyota Prius

Outboard, driver's side, FF, LATCH (used recline, pretty darned simple)

Outboard, passenger side, RF, LATCH (a little tricky because of contours but a better-than-acceptable install; not RF tethered, almost hit front seat when far enough back to be comfortable even for 5'5" me, which is a no-no because of advanced airbags; if I had it in there on a regular basis I'd probably choose not to RF tether in order to have room in the front passenger seat)

Center, FF, seatbelt and tether. This was the really tricky one. Twisted buckle stalk 2 1/2 full twists (as many as it would go), used recline, put one foot on the vehicle seat outboard, other knee in the Radian, braced back against roof of car and pulled up through the belt path access. That did it. Wasn't so bad once I figured that out, at least compared to some installs I've done!

3 Radians do NOT fit all together in the Prius in this configuration, mostly because of the difficulty getting the RF seat in outboard. If I had moved seats around and tried seatbelt installs I might have been able to do it (looked like the RF Radian MIGHT have fit in between the front seats if I put it center, but I didn't try it) but I just didn't have time (rental car, going back today, we were going to lunch. I just took out the center seat and put the eldest in her RSTV instead.) It did seem that if all 3 were FF they would have fit okay, especially with seatbelt all across, and it also seemed that if I had had 2 Marathons to play with they could have fit too with the Radian center. The biggest issue really was the funky seat contours, and the tiny center seat with long belt stalk that hit the belt path until twisted down and recalcitrant seatbelt retractor that didn't want to take in enough slack until forced to.

Not tech-checked.

morninglori

Year: 2006
Make/Model: Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab (4 real doors)
RF outboard, passenger side
Latch and RF tethered

Rock Solid Install, 30 degree incline with the old style RF boot

Not a Tech - Checked by Tech on 5/17/09 :thumbsup:

mom2juliarose

Year: 1997
Make/Model: Honda CR-V
FF outboard, passenger side
Installed with seatbelt (no latch)
Top tethered

It installed like a dream, tight and secure.

Not checked by a tech.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Wanted to update on the 2003 Sentra outboard install.

It is indeed easier with a second pair of hands to hold the buckle in place once it's twisted 3 full turns. I was putting it in for some upcoming trips and had my husband help. It was also nice to have an extra pair of hands to hold things in place while I did things like locked the retractor (so I didn't have to climb in and out of the car.)

It was still difficult, but not AS difficult with him helping, it only took 5 minutes instead of 30 (and it helped to know all the tricks-- 2 good bounces got it in rock-solid this time.)

Oh, and I'm now a tech, so this time it was tech-checked. ;) :D

emntheboys

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Limited

Passenger side captain's chair RF with LATCH & tether-rock solid. Nice upright install suitable for older child with ample front passenger room. I assume drivers side install would be the same.

3rd Row-RF with off center latch
3rd Row-RF driver's side with seatbelt

3rd row passenger side RF does NOT work due to the plastic covers on the seat hinges. RF foot doesn't fit in between the plastic pieces. I have photos if needed.

Captains chair install was checked by a tech, 3rd row installs were not.

mom2kk

Radian65, DOM 12/07

Year: 2000
Make/Model: Ford F150 Extended Cab
(suicide doors)
RF center
Installed with lap seatbelt (no latch)

Installed solid, came in/out relatively easy the few times we had to remove it

Year: 2001
Make/Model: Ford Taurus

FF center
Installed with LATCH, also rear tethered

Installed solid, checked by technician

sarah2106

Success (I LOVE this seat!!) Radian 65

I was able to get Rock Solid instals in the following cars...

Kia Spectra5 (2005):
RN: RFing & FFing - Passenger Side - Seat Belt and Latch (not at the same time)
RN: FFing & RFing - Center - Seat Belt

I was also able to fit an EvenFlow High Back Booster with 5-point next to the RN when the Radian was outboard and center (and a Spectra is a small car!)

Dodge Stratus (2000):
RN: RFing & FFing - Passenger and Center with seat belt (no Latch available)
EF seat fit next to it as well

Nissan Pathfinder (2008)
RN: RFing and FFing - Center with Seat Belt
RN: RFing and FFing - outboard with latch and seat belt (not at the same time)
EF fit great next to it as well

sunnymw

I never did add...

2003 Dodge Durango, outboard, RF and FF, no twists, rock solid.

Center MIGHT work with the new boot, but wouldn't with the old one. Didn't try FF there.

jnamommy

2005 Chevy Tahoe
2nd row outboard, FF, LATCH

2004 Ford Expedition
2nd row outboard, FF, LATCH

2005 Chrylser Town & Country
2nd row captains chair, FF, LATCH
3rd row bench outboard, FF, lap/shoulder belt

1995 Ford F150
front seat middle, FF, lap belt (no airbag, no rear seat)

all of the above were tech-verified except the F150

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
2006 Honda Civic (4-door)

RF, with seatbelt/RF tether, outboard = easy installation. Rock solid.
RF, with seatbelt/RF tether, center = easy installation. Rock solid.
RF, with LATCH(including RF tether), outboard = fairly easy installation. Rock solid.

FF, with seatbelt/tether, outboard = easy installation. Rock solid.
FF, with seatbelt/tether, center = easy installation. Rock solid.
FF, with LATCH (including tether), outboard = fairly easy installation. Rock solid.

I did have to twist the seatbelt stalks in order to get a rock-solid installation.

Spam

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Radian 65
Outboard FF latch w/ tether passenger side rock solid
Center RF latch w/ tether rock solid
Very easy install.. and that's all I've done so far with it :)

devaskyla

Toyota Matrix. Not sure of the year, I think it's 2005.

Rf'ing behind the passenger with Latch. Super easy getting it tight enough, but I could not get it reclined enough for a newborn & I had to have the passenger seat all the way to the front. Didn't fit at all in the middle rf'ing. I'd say it was half successful & would be fine for an older baby/toddler with no passenger or a very short one.

FF behind the driver. Latch install. Took more muscle than I usually have to use to get the latch tight, but it might just be because it was my first time ever installing it FF'ing & only second time installing it. Rock solid once it was tight, though, less than 1" of movement at the belt path..

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I got the RN in FF with no problem in the Ponitac Vibe FF behind the passenger. It was a seatbelt install and went in super easy.

mimieliza

Radian XT

1999 Honda Odyssey
Second row, captains chair
RFing, with ALR seat belts

I had to twist the buckle stalk two full twists. Also, I put DD in the seat to weigh it down and continued to yank on the belt and feed it into the retractor. When I took her out, it was in rock solid.

Recline was about 40 degrees, but it looked very comfortable for her. I would seriously consider buying this seat if it went RFing to 40 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC