Opinion about LBB

Baylor

You have to try them in both positions looking at the belt geometry. My 50lb 5 yr old daughter uses them on the higher position, though, so I'd guess at his size/age he would also. It is really hard to buckle under them when they are in the lower position.

Thanks! I will go try him in them this weekend..

ADS

hrice

Remember that the booster needs to be buckled in when your son gets out of it. Other wise it is a projectile in a crash. The other option would be a booster with LATCH like th eParkway SGL or Monterrey.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
My kids keep their snow pants in school! They bring them home for washing over long breaks. They walk to the bus stop and ride the bus or I would kleave a coat in school as well!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As someone who also deals with the "get out of the car fast, it's the drop off line!" I would strongly suggest a LATCHable booster. Any time saved by switching him out of a harness into a booster is going to be negated when he has to rebuckle the booster behind him.

(I pooh-poo'd the necessity of buckling boosters until I was in an accident earlier this year, and saw what happened to the unbuckled booster. (Pics at the link.) I am now neurotic about always having them buckled in.)

I wouldn't bother moving him to a booster unless it's a LATCHable one, just out of experience in regards to the time factor. :twocents:

Also, do you have the option to drop at a back entrance or on a side road, where he can take his time and you can then watch him walk to school? I've done that with my kidlets and it helps a lot with the time crunch issue.

Although I understand Darren's point in that blog, I've also found that harness to backless booster is a HUGE difference, unless the child has been booster trained first. Even if there's a negligable safety difference in using the back, the back is useful for training the child to stay in position. Once your son is used to being in position, I'd be a lot more comfortable with him using a backless. (I've used a backless with my well-booster-trained 6.5yo on occasion, for the <1 mile drive through the neighborhood to school -- although I prefer the Monterey, I don't wig when he uses the backless, either.)

Polola0628

Could you use merino-wool under layers? My kids (and myself) use them (Chicago.. brrrr) and we don't sweat all day long. The wool is very thin, and extremely soft. You could get a wool-silk blend, even, because it has an adapting effect (keeps you cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold).

Kat_Momof3

does he have long-johns yet?? aka... long underwear?

growing up in Illinois, my grandmother made sure both my sister and I had them for winters... and it would help with the layering by keeping his legs warm, too.

I'd get him some long underwear and then put him in a lightweight long-sleeved shirt, fleece/tight knit sweater/sweatshirt, and then a good midweight jacket... and also have a good fleece hat and warm gloves... then just have him do what he's been doing.

I would still go ahead and use a hbb/nbb for him for some more speed if needed, but do it safely... thin layers like that, while, because of the number, may require a little adjustment of the harness, but they won't have the compression issue because they are thin and don't have all that air.

He can take off the jacket, hat, gloves, and sweatshirt/sweater when he gets to class.

Baylor

As someone who also deals with the "get out of the car fast, it's the drop off line!" I would strongly suggest a LATCHable booster. Any time saved by switching him out of a harness into a booster is going to be negated when he has to rebuckle the booster behind him.

(I pooh-poo'd the necessity of buckling boosters until I was in an accident earlier this year, and saw what happened to the unbuckled booster. (Pics at the link.) I am now neurotic about always having them buckled in.)

I wouldn't bother moving him to a booster unless it's a LATCHable one, just out of experience in regards to the time factor. :twocents:

Also, do you have the option to drop at a back entrance or on a side road, where he can take his time and you can then watch him walk to school? I've done that with my kidlets and it helps a lot with the time crunch issue.

Although I understand Darren's point in that blog, I've also found that harness to backless booster is a HUGE difference, unless the child has been booster trained first. Even if there's a negligable safety difference in using the back, the back is useful for training the child to stay in position. Once your son is used to being in position, I'd be a lot more comfortable with him using a backless. (I've used a backless with my well-booster-trained 6.5yo on occasion, for the <1 mile drive through the neighborhood to school -- although I prefer the Monterey, I don't wig when he uses the backless, either.)

First, thanks for that visual.. I will remember it each time. I have been thinking about this all day and agree, I think that a Backless is just not a good idea. I think I am going to just keep him in the nautilus and do what you suggested.. Park and let him walk in unless it is raining...

Thanks so much for the time and ideas!

Baylor

one more thing... I am looking into a parkway sgl for when I do go to booster and for training.. Where is the best place to get one? Best price?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Check the deals forum for the info on the best SGL deal, that's where you'll find it. It usually involves some fancy work price matching/coupon work, lol. :)

As for the visual, no problem -- sometimes I need the reminder myself. I really was lazy until that happened.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I just wanted to reinforce the fleece idea. I have a whole routine with DD...she's in the center of the backseat. I pull into the parking lot, park, reach back and unbuckle DD. She climbs into the front seat and takes her boots off, and I help her into her snow bibs, put her boots on, and get into her thick winter coat. Then I walk her inside.

She needs her bibs and coat on as her class goes outside for an hour first thing in the morning. And, this past week it was -5*F two of the 3 days I did drop off, and she wore her fleece in the car with her coat tucked around her. :)

Booster versus harness doesn't make a difference in time since she doesn't wear her snow pants or coat in either.

Baylor

It is funny how you become complacent and when nothing happens for so long, you start to believe it will never happen to you. I am book marking that thread for sharing purposes...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC