Ok - I want to be certified, now what? - Van Island Interest?

V

VanIsleMommy

you're full again but I received an email from the cowichan policing saying they may have some members and local contacts (car dealerships etc) that may be interested. let me know when it's empty or I can forward you the email if you pm your address.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There's room in my inbox now. I was caught off guard with a bunch of messages all at once.

The maximum I would teach, solo, is 8. If I arrange to have a second person there, it would be higher. It's not unusual for people to express interest, but when the schedule comes out or the reality hits, to no longer be able to attend. But yes, I could teach two groups and then do a combined clinic.

Send the PMs and we'll see what's going to work.

-N.

April

Just wanted to share - Nicole is an awesome instructor and I'm sure you ladies will learn lots and really enjoy the course.
Posted via Mobile Device

V

VanIsleMommy

Looking forward to it! I'm happy to put down a deposit on my spot once all the details are finalized. I'd like to get in the earliest course possible if there is room, since I'll be ready to pop by Feb. I'd like to get the ball rolling on holding some clinics through the vancouver island health authority (prenatal, healthy baby groups) and also the schools. I'd also like to get a website going for the vancouver island folks with some car seat installation tips, listing of techs on the island, a calendar of clinics etc. I can start this today if any current VI techs want to get in touch with me - azzann at msn dot com. I build websites as a part time job from home but I don't want to give out my business email here.

V

VanIsleMommy

I just hit up my neighbor the fire cheif to see if his department wants to be certified as well. Not sure if they'll go for it but it would be awesome if they did. :cool:

Keeks64

I just hit up my neighbor the fire cheif to see if his department wants to be certified as well. Not sure if they'll go for it but it would be awesome if they did. :cool:

To my knowledge Fire Departments on the Island are done through JIBC & are organized at a higher level than the Chief - most fireman dont want to be certified anyways :( Ive talked to many in my search to become a tech and the ones I spoke too think being a tech is a PITA :thumbsdown:

Since theres been an abundance of people intrested outside the forum im just wondering how this will all work? If class sizes are max 8 people , are the girls who msged from this forum getting a priority spot for the 1st class?

Thanks again Nicole for setting this all up :) Hope it works out :thumbsup:

QuassEE

Our fire department doesn't have anyone who is certified, isn't interested (I offered--for FREE), and won't donate space to checks. Gotta love that!

The idea is that the members here will have priority. I didn't have 8 people from just here, but I did have the minimum I'd require to run a class (6). Any additional spaces could go to the community or other people who are interested. If there's enough interest for two classes, or if I can bring in a second instructor, we can figure something out for larger numbers.. :)

-N.

Keeks64

Our fire department doesn't have anyone who is certified, isn't interested (I offered--for FREE), and won't donate space to checks. Gotta love that!

The idea is that the members here will have priority. I didn't have 8 people from just here, but I did have the minimum I'd require to run a class (6). Any additional spaces could go to the community or other people who are interested. If there's enough interest for two classes, or if I can bring in a second instructor, we can figure something out for larger numbers.. :)

-N.
Almost as special as ours :thumbsdown: Our tech's install RF with the FF belt path and leave a good 3" of movement but its considered an "acceptable" install ....Apparently we just got 3 new tech's certified in June when they had a JIBC course in town , yet ive gone to the Fire Dept several times and theres never a tech working :rolleyes:

Awesome :) Thanks again Nicole - I do know a few people who are intrested but I didnt want to bombard you with names and wanted to ensure that forum members got a chance to sign up before others , I will pass along any names I have over the next few days :)

V

VanIsleMommy

aww that's too bad :( That is the first place most people look. When I was wondering about car seat checks I was told to check at the firehall by tons of people, but none of the fire halls do it.

QuassEE

We're at a count of 13 interested in a Vancouver Island course. I'm waiting to hear from a second instructor about timeline on running the course. With two instructors, I am comfortable with running with 12 spaces...or 14 spaces if we can get two additional technicians to come out on the clinic day. We have one technician-volunteer already.

Based on the locations of everyone interested, the most logical location for the course is the Duncan/Cowichan area. If we're running one course, it would need to be Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in order to avoid having to transport the second instructor from her home on two different weekends. If we have enough interest for two courses, we should be able to run one on Saturday/Sunday and then a second on Friday-Sunday, with both groups on that final Sunday in for the clinic. I will have additional technicians come from the Vancouver area and supervise the clinic, if that is the case.

The current estimate on course cost is around $120 per person, un-catered, and $160 per person, catered. Attendees who pass both the course and clinical component would also be responsible for applicable certificate fees. Around 90% of the course fees would go towards transportation (primarily of the second instructor), and 10% towards printing costs and other misc. course expenses. This is assuming that I can get a free location to teach out of. Fortunately, my dad, uncle, and aunt all grew up in Duncan and I have a number of resources there--including one that will help us avoid staying in a hotel one of those lovely Duncan-area hotels.

-Nicole.

Keeks64

:thumbsup:
We're at a count of 13 interested in a Vancouver Island course. I'm waiting to hear from a second instructor about timeline on running the course. With two instructors, I am comfortable with running with 12 spaces...or 14 spaces if we can get two additional technicians to come out on the clinic day. We have one technician-volunteer already.

Based on the locations of everyone interested, the most logical location for the course is the Duncan/Cowichan area. If we're running one course, it would need to be Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in order to avoid having to transport the second instructor from her home on two different weekends. If we have enough interest for two courses, we should be able to run one on Saturday/Sunday and then a second on Friday-Sunday, with both groups on that final Sunday in for the clinic. I will have additional technicians come from the Vancouver area and supervise the clinic, if that is the case.

The current estimate on course cost is around $120 per person, un-catered, and $160 per person, catered. Attendees who pass both the course and clinical component would also be responsible for applicable certificate fees. Around 90% of the course fees would go towards transportation (primarily of the second instructor), and 10% towards printing costs and other misc. course expenses. This is assuming that I can get a free location to teach out of. Fortunately, my dad, uncle, and aunt all grew up in Duncan and I have a number of resources there--including one that will help us avoid staying in a hotel one of those lovely Duncan-area hotels.

-Nicole.

Sounds great Nicole:thumbsup:

Had a few quick questions - It will run on a weekend , 1st day being Friday , last day and certification being Sunday? Do you know an approx month we might be able to do this? ....Im just wondering if its going to be upcoming or in the new year?

I dont know much about Duncan and possible places...but for those travelling & needing a decent place to stay the Cowhican Best Western is nice - we just stayed there a few weeks back and it was clean, comfortable and decently priced - its also outside of Duncan , right near the Walmart Super Centre...It doesnt have a pool or anything ( seasonal outdoor one) but it does have a nice pub/restaurant.

equilibrium

Duncan hotels are not lovely! lol. I grew up in the area. At least the Village Green is gone! If I had to I would probably stay at a local B & B.

V

VanIsleMommy

If everyone is willing to come to ladysmith I do have a place offered to us to host the clinic. I don't know if this works for everyone though. Ladysmith is about 20 minutes north of duncan and 20 minutes south of south nanaimo. There are some more choices for hotels in nanaimo.

bccrst

I have a friend in Duncan who wants to take the course (she's not on the board), and she wanted to know if there was any interest in doing one over the Christmas break?

Keeks64

I think over the Xmas break is too much :(

Keep in mind we are all traveling from other parts of the island & winter here can be nasty on the highways & such not to mention is Xmas & things are hectic :(

Mingie

CPST Instructor
equilibrium said:
Duncan hotels are not lovely! lol. I grew up in the area. At least the Village Green is gone! If I had to I would probably stay at a local B & B.

When we stayed in the area we ended up staying at the best western in Chemainus. It is nice and clean. Here wasn't much choice in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

equilibrium

When we stayed in the area we ended up staying at the best western in Chemainus. It is nice and clean. Here wasn't much choice in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

That's funny because when I wrote that I was going to say I would stay in Chemainus but didn't want to confuse anyone with separate towns! :) Not much in Duncan for sure. They need a decent hotel.

V

VanIsleMommy

my DH's aunt and uncle runs a multi bedroom B&B right on the highway just south of ladysmith near chemainus. I'll ask if she can give us a deal :)

QuassEE

Myself and the other potential instructor both have places to stay, free of cost--that's why hotel costs were not included in my estimate.

The two options that are looking most promising are either mid-November or Jan-March. I am thinking Jan and Feb might be bad, as far as weather goes.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC