Ok - I want to be certified, now what? - Van Island Interest?

V

VanIsleMommy

I live on Vancouver Island but would be willing to travel to the mainland. I've inquired at a few places (SJA etc) but all I keep finding out is that there are no clinics or future plans for clinics at this time.

If anyone hears anything, can you please let me know? I would love to get car seat clinics started as part of the prenatal classes and baby groups, and also offer regular clinics. There are a few techs here and there on the island but I was only able to find one here after looking for 3 years and everywhere else I asked (ICBC etc) either didn't know where to send me or would refer me to non-certified sources.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Re: Ok - I want to be certified, now what?

I just finished my degree requirements this Summer, and could teach a class if there were enough demand. One student isn't really "enough demand" :) There used to be techs on the island--Victoria BCAA would be BCTSF techs now but the Duncan health unit folks might still be national?

-Nicole.

QuassEE

Okay well, we can get a headcount. I've modified the title.

Also--where on the island are you guys?

-Nicole.

brymommy

Yes I am interested!

I am on the lower west coast... But can travel up the island a bit if need be.

Just asked my DH and he said we would find a way to make it work as he knows I have wanted to do this for a long while!

V

VanIsleMommy

I'm in Ladysmith (near Nanaimo) but I can travel!

I know there are a few techs on the island already but it took me 3 years to track one down (found her through this site yay!), you should also phone the VIHA nurses unit to see if any of their maternity nurses would be interested. I know for a fact the nurse that "checked" my seat when I left the hospital put my baby in the seat completely wrong. I heard him wheezing and noticed she had slumped him in the seat on the wrong harness slot. Good thing we didn't drive home to ladysmith, he might not have made it the whole way. :eek:

V

VanIsleMommy

I've had a few other people express interest but they're wondering about cost etc. Also would this be a SJA or JIBC course?

equilibrium

If QuassE might teach, I assume this is a SJA course. Although you mention that it is a degree requirement so that also might mean JIBC...hmm,,,,,

I would love to take the SJA course. I am not sure if I can due to cost but if the numbers of students are higher-does that bring the cost down??

Also, VanIsle Mommy I know who you are now :) I am in Ladysmith (just outside) as well. (Em)

catzwoman28

I am in Victoria and have been looking get certified for about 2 years now. (I am new to this site by the way ) . I am on a list to be notified for the next round of JIBC courses as well.

Vanessa

DD1 riding in a graco booster ( 5 years 6 mos , 46 lbs )
DD2 ff in a graco nautilus ( 3 years 4 mos , 36 lbs )
DD3 rf in a true fit (14 mos , 23 lbs )

Plus daycare children of various ages riding in Radians.

catchthewind

If it's SJA I might be interested, though since I have JIBC now I'm not sure I can justify the cost. I'd love to be kept in the loop about it though.

Keeks64

I am in Victoria and have been looking get certified for about 2 years now. (I am new to this site by the way ) . I am on a list to be notified for the next round of JIBC courses as well.

They were supposed to notify me ( on the list as well) , and when the course came to my town , they all apparently were too busy and forgot :thumbsdown: Ive asked numerous times for another course on the Island and even stated I had many people intrested and nothing , not even replies at this point :(

catzwoman28

It took me many tries to get somone to respond to me at JIBC , we'll see if they actually contact me with the course dates once they set them, I will be watching either way myself.

QuassEE

I have to see where things are going with regards to the national certification, but it would be a national class. Although the JIBC course has its place, I have a slight moral opposition to attempting to cover enough content with a one day class. I will start a Google Doc with names of people who are interested, please PM me with:

Name
Email
Days/Hours Available

Because of some difficulty in getting support through the BC St John Ambulance office, don't start jumping up and down quite yet. But to give you an idea of details: If we can get 6-8 students, the costs would be about what Trudy and I have discussed here in the forums--$100-$150/person or so for the three days, depending on finding a donated location. It sounds like Cow Valley is fairly central for both Vic-area and Nanaimo-area folks, and since I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel in that area that also keeps costs low.

-N.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

VanIsleMommy

Quasse: Your inbox is full but I have more names for you ;) I hope that means there is enough interest LOL :)

equilibrium

QuassEE said:
I have to see where things are going with regards to the national certification, but it would be a national class. Although the JIBC course has its place, I have a slight moral opposition to attempting to cover enough content with a one day class. I will start a Google Doc with names of people who are interested, please PM me with:

Name
Email
Days/Hours Available

Because of some difficulty in getting support through the BC St John Ambulance office, don't start jumping up and down quite yet. But to give you an idea of details: If we can get 6-8 students, the costs would be about what Trudy and I have discussed here in the forums--$100-$150/person or so for the three days, depending on finding a donated location. It sounds like Cow Valley is fairly central for both Vic-area and Nanaimo-area folks, and since I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel in that area that also keeps costs low.

-N.

This sounds much less than I've heard on here for some courses. I am excited and hope to take it.

Last edited by a moderator:

equilibrium

Wow, I love that cost.

Nicole, you private message folder is full. I tried to send you a message concerning getting a donated space and how that works/who asks/etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC