Question Newbie! Where on earth do you/can you order a Britax Mutitech?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree. At 6, without a condition affecting her bones, she's fine forward-facing-and once a booster fits her well (not just meeting the minimums but actually fitting the belt) and she is mature enough to sit properly in it, she'll be safe in a booster when needed too. :)

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I don't know. A child that has issues keeping food in to the point it's affecting her growth, could definitely be vitamin deficient, suffering from malnutrition, etc. to the point where her bones are more fragile than a typical 6 year old, could she not? It just sounds like her growth is directly related to nutrition, not just a genetic predisposition to being tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

aschofield

I hope no one minds me butting in, but out of curiosity, is there any reason a 6 year old who fits properly in her seat would be *less* safe rear facing rather than FF? It is my understanding that even adults would be safer RF if it was possible.

TechnoGranola said:
I don't know. A child that has issues keeping food in to the point it's affecting her growth, could definitely be vitamin deficient, suffering from malnutrition, etc. to the point where her bones are more fragile than a typical 6 year old, could she not? It just sounds like her growth is directly related to nutrition, not just a genetic predisposition to being tiny.

that's what I though also! her pediatrician has her on pediasure to try to get her to put on a few pounds. She's also a picky eater, trying to get her to eat veggies or fruit is quite the battle! She appears to have normal sized arms, legs, etc (proportional to her height, of course) but she's just short and pretty thin, but I guess that wouldn't change the fact that her skeleton is 6yo?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
that's what I though also! her pediatrician has her on pediasure to try to get her to put on a few pounds. She's also a picky eater, trying to get her to eat veggies or fruit is quite the battle! She appears to have normal sized arms, legs, etc (proportional to her height, of course) but she's just short and pretty thin, but I guess that wouldn't change the fact that her skeleton is 6yo?

Maybe. Bone loss is significant in women with anorexia for example, so I'd think that other forms of malnutrition would affect bone density as well. But not being the parent, you don't have all of her medical information, just what the parent has told you. So you won't know the extent to which her malnutrition has affected her skeleton.

Yes I have a feeling that she may have something more going on on the financial side of things within their family and possibly not having access to the best forms of nutrition available, but I would never ask the parents, thats a huge invasion. Also, I have very quick access to CPS (child protection services) if I feel as though she is being neglected, which from what I've observed, is far from the case thank gosh. but you never know. From what i've gathered, I intend to keep her RF as long as possible or until I hear from a doctor that she has relatively normal bone mass.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
There's nothing wrong with RFing her if the parents are okay with it and you have a legal seat in which she fits properly.

As has been discussed, importing is something I wouldn't recommend, especially for a 6yo. IMO, the cons far outweigh the pros in that situation.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
On the nutrition issue- bone loss in women whose bones are done growing works differently than stunted growth in kids, doesn't it? I'm not a doctor but my limited research leads me to think so...

That said, even kids with bone disorders aren't USUALLY more than 2-3 years behind, right? That would be 3-4.

So I'd rf her if she fit legally and it's comfortable, but not worry if not at that age.

she fits wonderfully in the BLVD 70CS, so I will either get her a radian like I'm getting for her brother, or just keep her in the BLVD until she outgrows it, then it's booster time! I'd say she'll get another year and a half, if not two years out of the BLVD, which as it seems from a medical standpoint she would have (at worst) a 5yo skeleton, which IMHO is totally fine to booster provided she can stay in position and has good belt fit, etc. Now getting her away from the "cow chair", however, won't be easy :p Correct me if I'm wrong but parkway SG/SGL comes in cowmoo does it not? please say yes..

FrauDrA

happiness-and-balance said:
she fits wonderfully in the BLVD 70CS, so I will either get her a radian like I'm getting for her brother, or just keep her in the BLVD until she outgrows it, then it's booster time! I'd say she'll get another year and a half, if not two years out of the BLVD, which as it seems from a medical standpoint she would have (at worst) a 5yo skeleton, which IMHO is totally fine to booster provided she can stay in position and has good belt fit, etc. Now getting her away from the "cow chair", however, won't be easy :p Correct me if I'm wrong but parkway SG/SGL comes in cowmoo does it not? please say yes..

The Frontier XT comes in Cowmoo! *Love* that pattern! (But the Euro versions have horns, LOL)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just one more comment from a technical aspect and I'm afraid it's only a question because I don't know the answer...

The developmental issue from a spinal column perspective is the actual fusion of the vertabrae. That completes sometime between the ages of 3 and 6 with some vertabrae fusing sooner and some later.

So my question is even if her bones had lower density, would that affect the fusion of the vertabrae? I kind of don't think so assuming she's walking and running and doing all the other things a kid her age is doing. But I also am not a bone expert.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just one more comment from a technical aspect and I'm afraid it's only a question because I don't know the answer...

The developmental issue from a spinal column perspective is the actual fusion of the vertabrae. That completes sometime between the ages of 3 and 6 with some vertabrae fusing sooner and some later.

So my question is even if her bones had lower density, would that affect the fusion of the vertabrae? I kind of don't think so assuming she's walking and running and doing all the other things a kid her age is doing. But I also am not a bone expert.

I'm not either but that makes sense with what I DO know.

Man, next time I corner a bone growth expert at a party, I've got great questions. :p

She is up and running and VERY active! I don't suspect anything is wrong with her spine/vertebrae but I could be wrong. Outwardly, though, she seems totally normal! just small

It's the safefix that has horns doesn't it? they're so funny! That said, I would love to have one, they're so cute :love:

Adventuredad

I think I asked you before where you got this information that you continually state as fact, as it completely & totally defies the Canadian Government's website. Since the residents of Canada are subject to Canadian Law, and not "someone on the internet who sells foreign carseats law", I hope everyone is doing their own independent checking and not relying on your word.

It's not illegal to import a foreign car seat into Canada and that is a fact. Same thing apply in US. Using it is technically illegal which is a different issue.. There is no reason why importing a seat would be illegal. It's a car seat, not cocaine.

Importing a seat is not illegal although potential fees might apply. It's very easy to verify this through customs. Sending lots of seats to Canada without issues would also be a good indication of what applies IMHO.

As guru Ketchupqueen says all children are covered in accidents. The statement about no coverage is a myth. Then again, if a child remains rear facing any serious injury or death is almost impossible. We know since our kids over here have been doing it since 1965 and we do deep studies on our accidents with children involved.

Importing a car seat is not for everyone as mentioned before. Finding a good solution for long rear facing time is important.

Nice to hear OP is so caring.

tam_shops

It's not illegal to import a foreign car seat into Canada and that is a fact.

Really? Then why does customs confiscate seats?

I *personally* knew one person from my baby group that was threatened to have her seat taken away when she declared it at the Blaine WA border. She was given the choice to hand it over (to them) or turn around and take it back to the store. She returned it and wasn't impressed about it! LOL

Then, there are the stories and who knows if those are true...I do know when importing strollers when my guys were smaller I've been questioned about car seats, nothing beyond that though...

Not sure I see the need for importing a seat for a small 6yo. If she is the size of a 3yo, she'll fit nicely into the Radian for several years to come. So great OP cares so much about the LO!

As for the Nutrition and bone density conversation. If she is other wise typical and eats a varied diet w/ adequate calcium and vitamin D, just b/c she is small/petite is no reason to think her bones are any less dense than anyone else her age. I'd actually argue the opposite, if she is smaller and older, her bones are more likely to be *more* stable b/c they have had more time at each stage to strengthen. Kids bones are most breakable right after a growth spurt--that's why (and how) kids can jump off a couch or wall and break a foot/ankle/arm that wouldn't have phased us (or them prior to the growth spurt). The faster you grow and the more you grow, the more likely a young person is to breaking something, as the bone(s) that have grown have yet to solidify after the growth spurt.

I also remember something about tall vs short people and spine and other bone issues/damage. Due to the increase in general Nutritional levels, people are growing taller and our bodies were not (originally) designed to support such a tall stature, as a result the skeletal support is decreased and spread out over a greater surface, with out corresponding increases or additions for muscles to support that, which for some people has caused problems. Now, add a car accident into the mix and...

I majored in Nutrition, but it's been awhile! LOL

tam

Thanks! Im just trying to do my best to protect them from something that I know could definitely harm or kill them if I don't do my best at protecting them. If there's something I can do to prevent them from life-altering injury or death, its worth it in the end to see those little smiles all the time. Even though they're not my kids, IMHO every child deserves this level of protection. On the nutrition side, I've suggested little things like D-Drops (concentrated vitamin d) and probiotics and cutting out or at least diluting her apple juice, to help with the conditions in her stomach, which her mom asked for my advice on so I was happy to give her a few suggestions! ;) but I told her to give the pediatrician a call as he would have more case-specific suggestions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC