Question New Infant Seat Ratings and Testing from Consumer Reports. What do you Think?

Do you like the new Consumer Reports Infant Seat Ratings and Testing?

• Yes! We need comparative safety ratings for carseats

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Maybe: I'm still skeptical because of past concerns about their ratings

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No- I can't trust the new ratings and/or testing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like cheese, yum!

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The US SR35 allows for Euro belt routing when the seat is used without the base?

I think only in the USA. And it's not in the manual but they will tell you if you call or something like that. Obviously someone else will have more in depth info than I just gave. Ha ha. :p

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It is now in the manuals that are online. It's the Classic Connect only. I think it is actually all the Classic Connect seats now though I haven't looked at the 30 and 22 manuals. It's not advertised that it's retroactive but it is official that it is. And yeah, not for Canada.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think only in the USA. And it's not in the manual but they will tell you if you call or something like that. Obviously someone else will have more in depth info than I just gave. Ha ha. :p

There has been a Euro routing clip on SRs that they ok to use if you call all the way back to the first 20# seat I had in 99.

cantabdad

The detail report is up for members.

I have a membership to the online version of Consumer Reports and was able to view the "detailed" report, but even then, they have a long way to go in matching the transparency and detail of something like the IIHS vehicle ratings. I find the IIHS approach much more helpful.

CR has an interesting narrative summary of their new test, and there is some "behind the ratings" info, but not very much. The reader is left with just enough information to wonder what the "basic - better - best" really means, how those scores were derived, and how those ratings were traded off against other factors like ease of use and price to get the overall rating. It's very opaque.

Contrast that with IIHS, where I can easily get the overall vehicle rating and the scores on each of the compoent tests (small overlap, side, etc.).

Then, if that's not enough detail for me, I can drill down and get, for each test, the exact level of cabin intrusion, in centimeters, at multiple points in the vehicle, plus estimated injury measures that include both physical measurements (kN, mm) and their translation into % likelihood of injury.

I can also see a slo-mo, multi-angle video and still photos of the exact test as it was conducted. If that's STILL not enough for me, I can download a PDF of the exact test protocol, which includes practically everything down to what the test dummy had for breakfast that day. And all of of this on a non-subscription, free-to-all website.

I realize that CR somehow has to charge for its services in order to stay afloat, but even then they have a long way to go.

All that being said, I am still glad that they're doing this-- if it works, it will probably press carseat manufacturers to improve their designs in ways that actually improve performance, rather than just new bells and whistles.

I also agree with The Carseat Lady on the point about focusing on convertible seats instead of infant seats. I feel like convertible seats are often forgotten in the focus on infant seats (CR) and booster seats (IIHS), even though in some ways they are the most critical stage.

canadiangie

There has been a Euro routing clip on SRs that they ok to use if you call all the way back to the first 20# seat I had in 99.

I know all about the routing clip, but have literally never seen this allowance mentioned anywhere on cso or the old bbc board. So do US techs teach euro routing on baseless SR installs? Is this common place?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It is definitely in the manuals for newer SR35 CC at least, but I am trying to officially clarify some details on how far back it is allowed.

safeinthecar

It is definitely in the manuals for newer SR35 CC at least, but I am trying to officially clarify some details on how far back it is allowed.

I was definitely told it was OK when DS was an infant in 99. The Lullaby rep took pics and got confirmation for me from the engineering dept. I don't teach it to other parents since I didn't get it in writing, but I did use the seat this way and got a much better install baseless.

nannykates

I dont teach euro routing to parents unless they ask. Most are a bit freaked out at the thought of ever having to use the baseless install at all, and I dont agree even a little with the car seat lady that American routing only provides a secure install in 1 or 5 cars, I can get most seats rock solid in most cars in 20 sec with Kecia's method. I have issues with some of the stuff coming from her lately (ie the aton is the best seat message that comes across her posts and the ridgid back hbb thing rub me the wrong way).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I get a solid install (not super solid but acceptable) with the standard belt path on Graco seats in maybe 1 in 3 cars using that method. With difficulty.

I instantly get a solid install almost anywhere with Euro routing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
(I've never taught it before on a Graco seat because I've never had a manual new enough to include it come in. I've taught it on an Aton and a Coccoro, though.)

safeinthecar

I get a solid install (not super solid but acceptable) with the standard belt path on Graco seats in maybe 1 in 3 cars using that method.

I need to film the trick I use. I've never yet found a car I can't get an acceptable install (or a parent that can't repeat it) with traditional routing on any infant seat (barring seat belt incompatibilities) except the Orbit. It's not even hard. Even so, Euro is so much more than just acceptable.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd love to see it. We usually do find a compatible position, but it often takes several tries, and I worry about what they're going to do when they fly.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'd love to see it. We usually do find a compatible position, but it often takes several tries, and I worry about what they're going to do when they fly.

I stinkin' love the Euro routing on our Aton, but I found the install on the plane to be equally secure. A lap-only belt with a locking latchplate is pretty easy in comparison to an ALR, in my experience, so not having the Euro routing isn't a big deal when you're on a plane.

It makes me a little sad to think of so many parents being afraid of the baseless install. I love the freedom of being able to take my infant carseat anywhere. It's especially wonderful when traveling, or to have the flexibility of hopping in a cab. Or just to be able to know that when you leave your kid with a caregiver, they automatically have a car seat to use if they need it without you having to install anything in their car. There's a wonderful freedom that comes from an easy baseless install.

Sorry, I digress . . .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC