Need stroller for DisneyWorld

mom2boys

We are going to Disney World in a month and I need to find a good quality umbrella stroller to take with. I have a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old going to Disney (both under 40 lbs), and we want two individual strollers. I would like a good lightweight stroller that offers the following:

1. under $130
2. Has a cupholder for me and the child
3. has a nice basket
4. folds easily and quickly
5. has a carrying strap so I can carry it and hold 2 year old's hand
(I can't do the carrying handle because that is too heavy and akward)

Your advice would be extremely appreciated. I bought a cheap stroller a few months back thinking it would be fine and I have realized that stroller shopping is about just as involved as car seat shopping if you want a good one for a decent price. Thanks!

ADS

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We took 2 Volos for our 2.5 and % yr olds a couple of years ago they were great, the only downside was the 2.5 yr old didn't sleep at all in it. So I might suggest a Triumph and a Volo 55# limit for both but the Volo tends to be a smidge deeper so it might be better for the 5 yr old. www.albeebaby.com has good prices on both or Ebay has some deals if you are not picky about color. They also both have good resale and can ship for under $15 most places so keep that in mind :)

Neither has a cup holder but the Valco cupholders are nice and might work well. The Kiddy Caddy by SUnshine Kids is okay.

We're pondering a trip soon too ad I have no idea what I will take for a 1.5 yr old...the 5 yr old will have a Volo :)

Last edited:

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I'm going to disney in March and can't for the life of me figure out what to take, we don't want two strollers though, to much work, my girls weights are above most cheep strollers there's no way i'd spend very much b/c we never use them other then about 2 times year at zoos, parks, and disney trip LOL, at thier age we sure won't but using it to much longer either... we are thinking of borrowing one from a friend, that's a jogger holds their weight then some... i usally make dad take the stoller and bags, and i'm in charge of the kids when loading trams and stuff.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Except for the carry strap, which I think you'd be able to gerry rig pretty easily with any luggage strap, I like the one my friend uses, which is one similar to this (although their's says "Jeep"):
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2624758

It's not heavy, folds flat and locks in the folded position, has a decent basket and a cup/tray holder for child. It's held up well with frequent use and less than careful treatment (flown to FL and PA and back, rides in the way back of the van and gets smashed when you close the hatch). I'm rather tall and it's handle is high enough for me and it pushes easily.

FWIW, "Jon & Kate + 8" highly recommended the rental strollers after their trip to Disney (blue double strollers). Love that show! Any mom that worries about germs and children seen in less than pristine clothing in public than my mom was makes me smile. PS - kids are adorable.

Last edited:

QuassEE

It sounds like you're describing either a Volo or a Triumph. I'd get one of each for those ages--since the Volo is great for 10 month olds except if you're out in it all day and have a really slumpy baby. You might be able to get away with two Volos, though.. I would suggest putting the seat liners from the accessory packs on, since the Volo material isn't pleasant to sweat against (I'd imagine)..

They have everything you've asked for except cupholders. We put our drinks in the hood, and then give the kids bottled drinks or drinks with straws and store them in the hood when they're done, too. You might be able to get a BaBu tray to fit on a Volo, though--I've never tried.

-N.

mom2acrew

I just tried the Buggy Buddy (not the kiddy caddy lol wrong name) on the Volo and it fits perfectly!

I believe Jeep strollera are made by Kolcraft and have low 30ish weight ratings FWIW.

http://www.amazon.com/Buggy-Buddy-Insulated-Stroller-Organizer/dp/B000SMWUPS

We have rented the dbl at Disney, it is quite nice the only down side is it leaves you w/ a possbility of a tired, heavy sleepy child to haul off the tram and to your vehicle at the end of the day. If I were driving and were going w/ a 2 and 5 yr old I might consider a bulky side by side jogger but I think I would want a swivel front wheel to get through crowds. Just my :twocents:

mom2boys

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts!!

I ended up going to BRU and found a Volo in Carbon for $50. I was so excited when I saw one at that price, and I got the last one. It was the floor model, but it is in great shape and they only had it on the floor for 1 month. I think I will buy the accessory pack for the rain cover and the seat cover. We are going in January, so I don't think it will be "sweating" hot. But, I think the padding will be comfortable. Plus, the rain cover will be nice if it rains. I will look at one of the organizers too.

I think I will keep looking for another stroller and try some of the other suggestions for here. Thanks again!!

skaterbabs

Definately the Volo. As far as sleeping babies, if you do a search you'll see a pic of Joolplus3's DD Leah asleep in her Volo last spring.

Niea

I've taken my Volo to DisneyWorld twice now and loved every moment with it! Perfect for DisneyWorld since it's sturdy and won't fall apart, yet folds up small as to not take up tons of room on the monorail or bus, and is lightweight and easy to push and carry. Oh, and my DD had absolutely no problem sleeping in it. So much so that DH and I had a game were we tried to get as many "sleepyhead" shots from around the park as we could. She was 15 mos the first time we went and 27 mos the second time we went.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
FWIW, I've heard that the most abundant item in Disney's lost & founds are umbrella strollers. People buy them to use at the park, then just leave them there.

Not that I want to encourage dishonesty, but I suppose a person could try to "find" that stroller that they "lost" that one time :whistle:

NVMBR02

I have 2 Maclaren Volos and 2 of the Maclaren Organizer things and I love them. One is a 2004 and the other is a 2006 and I love them both. Both my kids fit very well in them (2 and 31pounds, almost 4 and 28 pounds (but tall!)) I really like the carry strap.

I have also used my sister's Chicco C5 and found it to be very comfortable. This one reclines and does have a cup holder on the new model. I don't think it steers as well and my Volo, but it is less expensive and might be a great option, esp. if you are mostly buying them for the trip.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
FWIW, "Jon & Kate + 8" highly recommended the rental strollers after their trip to Disney (blue double strollers). Love that show! Any mom that worries about germs and children seen in less than pristine clothing in public than my mom was makes me smile. PS - kids are adorable.

I saw that episode too! She was all excited about the Disney strollers, saying that she could even easily push the "big" girls. :)

I LOVE that show too. Both Jon and Kate crack me up. I love how Kate is WELL AWARE of her "quirkiness" and Jon teases her about it. :) I totally relate to her wanting the kids to look presentable, the house to be clean, and so on. :)

NVMBR02

I was going to add if you aren't very tall and a cupholder for your dc is important the Combi strollers might be worth looking at. Some of the models have a bar and a cupholder that hands off the side. They fold small and have a carry strap. I don't think they steer as well as the volo, but for $80-90 they are a good travel, quick errand stroller.

vamom

The shops all over disney also sell a red chicco (i think) umbrella with a wimpy shade and cupholders and a carry strap for 39.95 I think. They were everywhere. First trip I took an old mac vogue that got torn up by the airline on the return. The next two trips we took the mac techno xlt (I think that's right - the new one with higher weights/bigger dimensions). Got it on ebay for less then $200 shipped new in the box. Love it, love it, love it, except carrying it on the buses at 1 am. Ds sleeps fine sitting up, but I do recline it some times.

Ds also fits great in the volo, I just really liked the adjustable handles on the xlr (even more after the trips), my bag fits better in the wider frame, it is less tippy (imho), it had great padding, and the clencher - the sunshade unzips for more coverage - an absolute must for my child with sensory issues who uses the hood to escape.

I don't think ds would care for the rentals - they are low to the ground, legs staright out (he hates joggers), and they are hard plastic - but man I saw some big kids in them.

Have fun. We just got back a few weeks ago and it was cold!!! 38 our first morning! It did warm up into the 70's a few days, but it cooled quickly at night, so we ended up dragging coats all day. Went in september thinking it would be nice - it was 100 I think! The only time my clothes weren't glued to my body was around 1 am.

vamom

The folks on dis boards also run a stroller swap (fridge too). They have some sort of stroller(s) that they pass around. I didn't pay alot of attention because of ds's special needs.

vamom

I picked up cupholders; valco, I think, from ebay cheap. I use a lanyard to make sure ds's drink doesn't leave (he lost his favorite cars bottle at mk), and one of those big cups with a big straw (ours is the refillable from animal kingdom) so that ds just reaches for the straw.

I hung a small bag on the handle to keep the autograpg book and frequent use things handy.

mom2boys

Thanks everyone! We are leaving in 2 week, I can't believe it. I have 2 Volo's now and am working on getting the cupholders. I will try some of the suggestions here.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I'm so jealous!!! I wish i was leaving in 2 weeks!!! No we have to wait 2 months!!!! YOu have to let me know how it went with 2 strollers when you get back!

kimogilvie

Is there a difference between WDW strollers and Disneyland strollers? I had read that Disney rents out baby jogger city series strollers. However, when I got the WDW, the rented strollers were these big plastic things (no recline, not easy to push, not light).

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The ones at Disneyland are canvas material. They have no recline and fit large kids (up to around 8 years old I've seen in them). They are a three wheeled type stroller, but the front wheels are small... 4" maybe... can't remember what the back wheels were, but I think they were small as well?

I have no idea how they push as we used a Maclaren Twin Techno. I do know that they do NOT fold, so you can not take them on the tram if you want to go on that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC