Question Need recommendation for 3 across mixed newborn, convertible, and booster in VW Jetta

Metal Mama

Hiya! Thanks for helping me. We just found out that we have a baby #3 on the way and we JUST bought a 2013 Jetta. Irony. It's hubby's car primarily, but I like to take it on weekends (errands, beach, etc.) because it gets much better mileage than my van. So... I need suggestions for 2 seats, or possibly 3 seats. If I don't have to spend $250 a pop that would be GREAT. $200 each is a little much but it's my kids' safety so I will pinch pennies and suck it up.

Kid #1: we have a 5 1/2 year old, 43" tall, and 44-45# in a Graco Nautilus in "high back booster" style because I can't find the crotch latch after I hand washed the cover. I'm going to order a replacement because she is better off in a harness. I have a Frontier in my van and I love it but it. is. HUGE.

Kid #2: 2 1/2 years old, 36" tall, 35#. He is in our older but not yet expired FF (I know, tsk tsk...) Marathon. I was planning on buying something new for him this year anyway because it will expire, and well, it's pink.

Kid #3: due in October/late September. We own a Graco Snugride that is 2 1/2 years old. Will probably use it in the van. I seriously hate the bucket seats like the Snug Ride especially after the baby can sit, then we switch to RF convertible (they have been Marathons and a Roundabout 50.) I also have big babies. DS was just shy of 10lbs at birth.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help. :). Thank you!!

ADS

Mercuria

Welcome!

If you check the shopping forums, right now you can get a Graco HeadWise for less than $150 from Target, and you would be able to RF your 2yo if you wanted. It is a tall, narrow seat.

For your new one (congratulations!), Babies R Us has the Combi Coccoro for $169 online (also in the shopping forums). It's a great, lightweight, super narrow convertible that fits newborns well.

If your 5yo sits well in a booster and the belt fit is good, there's no real reason to move her back to a harnessed seat. There's no convincing evidence of one being safer than the other if used properly. I don't know much about boosters, but I know that they can be inexpensive and narrow. I'm sure someone else here can help you with a booster or combination seat for her :)

Phineasmama

My friend has a '13 Jetta and she has a Graco Turbobooster on one side, she said it's the only one that would fit in her 3 across. And she has a forward facing Radian and forward facing classic Boulevard next to each other in the middle and the other outboard position.

I would try a Turbo for the oldest (high back), Diono Radian for the middle kid, and a Cybex Aton for the baby. I bet you could put the Aton in the middle no problem!

Metal Mama

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thank you both. :)

Why am I so afraid of keeping her in a booster?! And the Turbo Booster, they're ok? They looked so ... Flimsy? But they're ok?

The Radians look really nice. I've been eyeing them up for a while now. :)

My friend has 3 of the Coccoros because she had to fit her triplets in her Camry. They look nice! They seemed to hold up really well.

I really like the turbo booster, boulevard (or other britax) and the Radian combo. I am going to look at the Aton though, I had only heard of them. Same with the Head Wise, I like the weight limit!

Looks like I have some shopping to do! :)

THANK YOU!! :love:

Phineasmama

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thank you both. :)

Why am I so afraid of keeping her in a booster?! And the Turbo Booster, they're ok? They looked so ... Flimsy? But they're ok?

The Radians look really nice. I've been eyeing them up for a while now. :)

My friend has 3 of the Coccoros because she had to fit her triplets in her Camry. They look nice! They seemed to hold up really well.

I really like the turbo booster, boulevard (or other britax) and the Radian combo. I am going to look at the Aton though, I had only heard of them. Same with the Head Wise, I like the weight limit!

Looks like I have some shopping to do! :)

THANK YOU!! :love:

The turbo is great, I'm sure your car has full curtain airbags anyways :) It fits younger kids well, and sometimes it's just the only high back that will work in a 3 across!!

The Britax and Radian will only work next to each other in your vehicle if they're facing the same direction. So you could put your middle child back rear facing in the Radian and the Britax for the new baby.

I used the Aton for my 3rd baby, it's seriously awesome. It was the ONLY infant bucket I could get to fit 3 across in my Honda CRV, and believe me I tried everything. It's light, super padded and comfy and the base is amazing and narrow and so easy to get really tight install. Oh yeah, and it fits great next to a forward facing Radian :)

I don't recommend the Headwise/MySize 70 for 3 across. It might work in certain situations but I don't think it would be the best thing for your situation and your specific car.

tobypuppy

The Britax and Radian will only work next to each other in your vehicle if they're facing the same direction. So you could put your middle child back rear facing in the Radian and the Britax for the new baby.

QUOTE]

If its an older marathon, then it most probably wouldn't fit a newborn for a while..... OP: if you'd like to turn your 2.5-year-old rearfacing (it's safer!), then i'd spring for 2 radians and a turbo for your oldest, which wouldn't be so bad because the turbo is pretty inexpensive...:)

Phineasmama

Yeah I forgot to mention that... The new marathons will fit a newborn, if the baby is smaller you might need the infant foam.

But she did say that the seat is expiring too :)

Phineasmama

I just think a radian and a britax or peg next to each other would give you more room. I can't fit two rear facing radians next to each other in my CRV very well but I can fit a radian and a peg perego convertible no problem since the peg sits up on a base and they puzzle well.

But if you have the middle one forward facing in a radian and the baby rear facing in a radian that would work fine. I just happen to love using an infant bucket seat which is why I got the Aton, but some people like using convertibles for newborns more :)

Metal Mama

Hi! I'm back. Holy wicked first trimester. Hope no one minds me reviving this thread instead of starting a new one. I will happily do so if its preferred.

Are there any other infant seats that will work that aren't as expensive as the Cybex Aton? That's just more than I can spend right now. :( I do like the convenience of the infant seat for the first year. I thought initially that I would be OK with a convertible like the Coccoro first but now, I'm thinking I would rather an infant seat for now.

And I was also wondering if the Britax Parkway would work? I really like the "4 point" strap.

Any help is really appreciated :) I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Welcome back!

I'm sorry to hear you had a wicked first trimester. :(

There are plenty of infant seats other than the Aton. :) The Chicco KeyFit generally puzzles fairly well with the Radian, so that might be a good option.

I LOVE my Parkway SG. It is a great booster for medium-sized kiddos. :) I use it with my 7-year-old DN, who is around 50" (maybe a little taller now) and around 45 pounds.

Metal Mama

Welcome back!

I'm sorry to hear you had a wicked first trimester. :(

There are plenty of infant seats other than the Aton. :) The Chicco KeyFit generally puzzles fairly well with the Radian, so that might be a good option.

I LOVE my Parkway SG. It is a great booster for medium-sized kiddos. :) I use it with my 7-year-old DN, who is around 50" (maybe a little taller now) and around 45 pounds.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! Ha yeah the first trimester was wicked, and we moved during it. I do not recommend that :)

Oh good. :) Do you think a KeyFit, a FF Radian, and a Parkway would work 3 across in a VW Jetta? We have a Frontier in our van and its a great seat and if the Parkway is half as nice, I am sold.

featherhead

It is, but don't the Radian and Snurgide 30 not play well together? I thought there was an issue with the handle hitting the Radian funny.

Or am I mixing it up with another seat?

I don't think the handle could interfere with a forward-facing Radian. When rear-facing it might. I know the Keyfit handle hits the widest part of the Radian when both are rear-facing.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't think the handle could interfere with a forward-facing Radian. When rear-facing it might. I know the Keyfit handle hits the widest part of the Radian when both are rear-facing.

My KeyFit's handle doesn't hit the Radian (RF) if I install the Radian at a more upright angle. They *just* (barely!) miss each other. It is a bit challenging to get the KeyFit back into its base, but it will go in.

Let me see if I have photos...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC