Question Long torso convertible car seat

possum

My car was in an accident (everyone is fine), so I need to replace the seat I bought when pregnant, which was a Cosco Scenera. My son is 6 months, and I now know he's skinny and long, especially in the torso. I liked the Scenera, especially the price, but I'm worried he'll outgrow it by height before he's ready for a booster. I wouldn't save any money overall if I have to buy yet another seat to cover that gap. Since I have a do-over from the accident, I'm wondering if I should stay with the Scenera or switch to something else. Any thoughts?

ADS

Kaitsmom

Usually the insurance will replace the seat for a similar one, or just give you a check. Do you have another seat to use in the meantime? The Cosco APT is very similar to a Scenera but a bit taller and around $50. My long torsoed daughter outgrew the Scenera all together before age 2

possum

It'll be in a 2010 Toyota Prius.

He's about 27", or 70th percentile for height. He's got a long torso, based on how his clothes fit. Plus, his dad has a long torso. He also looks super tall because he's only 15.5 pounds, or 15th percentile for weight. He's not a chubby baby. Very muscular. He doesn't have any rolls!

The insurance said they will send me a check for the seat. I'm not sure if I should spend more of my own money to get a more expensive seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Scenera won't get most kids to a booster age. It's often outgrown rear facing between two and three and a half, and forward facing before four. Boosters are for kids five or six or older. But the Scenera will get most kids to a safe forward facing age, and then you can get something like the Evenflo Maestro for about $62 (if you were buying today).

In that price range I'd look at the Cosco Apt.

Wendy

Phineasmama

I personally would just spend a little extra money (if you can) since you know he's tall with a long torso. That way you'll at least have something to get him to a safe FFing age!

possum

So, the Scenera won't get me to booster. I suppose I have a new question then. What's the best combination for inexpensive, safe seats to get me to him safely wearing a seatbelt? I could do the Cosco APT and Evenflo Maestro that someone recommended above. Are there other options?

I do care about his safety, but we don't drive much, so I would rather not break the bank. I also don't care about fancy cupholders and such.

Someone asked above what I'm using now - I have a borrowed Graco infant seat.

Kaitsmom

I dont think there is anything inexpensive that will get you to booster age. Right now you should focus on rfing until at least 2. I would buy an APT for $50 ish and get a few years worth of use out of it and then see whats on the market to ff in once hes at least 3 or 4

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC