Kia Soul vs Mazda 5

tl01

Which one do you think would be better for a grandma toting around a baby and a preschooler? She wants a small car but I'm thinking access would be easier in the Mazda. She wants something boxy, sporty, and small. I'm thinking the Mazda might be slightly too big.

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would say Mazda since I witnessed a Kia Soul blow up right in front of me last week. :rollseyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

Jenfrogmom has a Mazda 5 so you could PM her...

I have driven one and I really liked it. The dealership we were working with only had one that had much higher mileage than we wanted and that's the only reason I didn't get it (we had limited financing options).

Anyways, it is pretty small. It's very low to the ground like a regular car almost- much lower than my CR-V. You should have her go test drive one, she'd probably like it!

otto

We've had a Kia Soul for 3 years now, never had a problem with it. Changed the oil every once in a while and finally put some new tires on it, but that's it at 45k miles.

I think she should test them both and decide which is easier for her to drive and get the kids in and out of. She also needs to evaluate the storage (or lack thereof) and decide what she needs. The Kia doesn't have a lot, but it has enough and it's up high. The Mazda would have more assuming she kept the back row folded.

I will say the Kia will be cheaper, gets slightly better gas mileage, and actually has great safety & reliability ratings. Better than the Mazda5, in fact. In general, issues with the Souls are pretty uncommon.

We test drove a Mazda5 a year ago, and I remember liking, but not loving it. We were also looking for a new main family vehicle, and it just wasn't going to be big enough for us (we ended up with a Mazda MPV).

The one thing that sold us on the Soul is the size of the back seat. Compared to other similar cars, it has both a very wide and very deep back seat. 3 across is generally no problem, and even rear-facing seats are generally not an issue.

You could maybe look at the Honda Fit, Suzuki SX4 (hatchback version - comes in AWD as well), Mini Cooper, Mazda3 hatchback, or Hyundai Elantra Touring as well.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
My friend just bought a Soul. They are a one vehicle family and are going from three people to four people in the next week or so. She loves it! I checked her seats right after she bought it. Installs were lovely. It was a nice height as far as for entry/exit. A world of difference from their Tiburon. The biggest factors for them were passenger space and gas mileage.

beetlemama

For two kids just about any car will work easily. Up until two weeks ago we had two kids and our only car was a beetle and it was rarely a problem (a bit tight when we had any cargo, but for day-to-day stuff it was fine). If I were grandma I'd choose the soul because I personally think it's a lot cuter than the 5. The 5 is a great niche car in that you can fit 6 people without driving a huge vehicle, but IMO it's not the cutest car on the road where I think the soul is a great looking car.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
tl01 said:
Yikes! More details please!

I was in the lane to enter the freeway and a Kia Soul (a new looking one) was one lane over to my right. He decided at the last minute that he wanted to get on the freeway also. He punched his gas pedal so he could merge over and his engine just blew up right there. :( Not a good day for him I am sure.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
TechnoGranola said:
Are there any old looking ones? It just came out 2010 MY. ;)

I don't keep up on Kias but I figured they were a newer model. I just meant it looked new, new...you know how you can tell when a car looks fresh off the lot within a few months or so? :) Probably doesn't look so new now though after being blasted with all that black smoke lol!

amyd

We never considered the Soul cause we needed the third row but I love my 5. It's great for carseats and I love the sliding doors.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
TXDani said:
I don't keep up on Kias but I figured they were a newer model. I just meant it looked new, new...you know how you can tell when a car looks fresh off the lot within a few months or so? :) Probably doesn't look so new now though after being blasted with all that black smoke lol!

:ROTFLMAO: No kidding!

New grandma

DD2 has a Soul and loves it. It is very economical, looks sporty, and we have had a frontier and a rf radian (w/angle adjuster) installed very easily.

With the rear seats folded down, she has hauled her bike, a dresser, and other bulky things.

canadiangie

I'm not a fan of niche/trendy looking vehicles. PT Cruiser, Chev HHR, Honda Element, Ford Flex, and even the Toyota FJ Cruiser.. They all kind of grind my sense of aesthetics, and resale tends to be a bit harder. You have to LOVE those kinds of vehicles, and it tends to be love/hate.

The Kia Soul falls into that category for me, wheras the Mazda 5 is more just a mini minivan. A rather sensible and well respected unit when it comes right down to it. It will surely go down a classic.

So I vote Mazda 5. :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
canadiangie said:
I'm not a fan of niche/trendy looking vehicles. PT Cruiser, Chev HHR, Honda Element, Ford Flex, and even the Toyota FJ Cruiser.. They all kind of grind my sense of aesthetics, and resale tends to be a bit harder. You have to LOVE those kinds of vehicles, and it tends to be love/hate.

The Kia Soul falls into that category for me, wheras the Mazda 5 is more just a mini minivan. A rather sensible and well respected unit when it comes right down to it. It will surely go down a classic.

OMG I thought I was the only one who hated all those "silly" looking cars. I have also never encountered a PT Bruiser (as I call them) with a driver who knows how to drive. :)

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

canadiangie

OMG I thought I was the only one who hated all those "silly" looking cars. I have also never encountered a PT Bruiser (as I call them) with a driver who knows how to drive. :)

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

We should really do lunch one of these days. :D

Phineasmama

I feel the SAME WAY!! I don't like any of those "box" shaped vehicles, they are so ugly to me.
And I am totally anti-PT Cruiser lol! My mom used to sell cars and she called it a tin can on wheels. One time I got one as a rental when traveling and it really felt cheaply made. I did not enjoy it at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC