Question Is it time to turn my DD around?

abh413

I'm struggling with this decision. I'm going to list the specifics & hopefully someone will be able to provide some advice.

DD is...
2 years & 6 months old
29.0 lbs
35.5 inches
(20.5 inches seated on floor to top of head)
She seems to have a very long torso despite being about average for height.

We are currently using a Britax Blvd 70 RF behind the passenger seat. She is right at 1 inch from the top of the shell. So I'm either going to have to turn her around or consider purchasing a new car seat. We currently drive an 03 Nissan Maxima.

[My DS is 6 mo old so we also have a Chicco Keyfit 30 behind the driver's seat. We already own another Britax Blvd 70 for him to transition to next. However, he is growing much faster than his sister.]

Do I turn my DD around? Do I need to purchase another seat? Any advice is welcome.

ADS

Baylor

Her torso height is what we look for. Bottom of bottom to top of shoulder.

I would not have a problem turning her in her seat. If she has really outgrown seat RFing that is a marker to turn her if she is older than 2.

You do have the option to buy another seat that will rf her longer if you choose. There are good options that rear face to 40 and even 45lbs.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
At 2.5, you've reached the "age 2" minimum guideline, and she's reached the upper limit of her convertible seat, so turning her is certainly a viable option. You have done awesome getting this far!

That said, there are still safety benefits to keeping her rearfacing, and many convertible carseats have shells that are taller than your Britax Marathon. Moreover, the fact that you see her younger brother growing faster than her, and therefore (I presume) forsee him outgrowing the Marathon at a younger age, would be the deciding factor for me in purchasing a taller rearfacing seat.

(I should probably go on record to say that I'm a big advocate of rearfacing for as long as possible, but there are plenty on the board who would tell you to turn her now without worry!)

The tallest seats on the market are the First Years/Lamaze TrueFit (RF 35lbs, FF 65, tall shell and 17" top slots,) the Sunshine Kids/Diono Radians (RF 40-45lbs, depending on model, FF 65-80lbs, 17.5" top slots,) and the Safety 1st Complete Air (40lb RF, 65lb FF; make sure you get one with dual level lines -- we can extrapolate on this if you are interested in this model.) I believe the new Peg Perego convertible (45lb RF, 70lb FF) is quite tall as well, but it's newer so I'm not as familiar with it. All of these (except the Peg) are lower-profile, so they are easier to load an older child into, and have more leg room, as well.

With your daughter's weight, I might look first at the TrueFit, unless your son is in a higher percentile in height as well as weight. It will almost certainly be outgrown by weight and not height in the rearfacing position.

Brianna

Here's a visual of the one inch rule to be sure you're measuring correctly http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

At 2 1/2, if she has reached the limits of her seat, turning her forward facing is an acceptable decision. It's also acceptable to buy another car seat to rear face her longer and then pass it down to your son later. It's about your comfort factor and whether you can/want to buy a new seat.

I'm in nearly the same shoes as you, my godson is 2 1/2 and is just at the height limit for his car seat rear facing. He'll be going forward facing because it's not realistic for his mom to buy another RF car seat that has to be installed in a different vehicle every day. If she had her own car, it's possible she would have purchased another seat to keep him rear facing.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
HRice, you mean the second Boulevard70 (not the one her DD is using) if it's still new-in-box? If so, that would be a great idea, and I would definitely do that -- pass DD's seat to the baby and use the return money to get a new seat for DD, whether it's a convertible with higher limits or a combination seat.

hrice

HRice, you mean the second Boulevard70 (not the one her DD is using) if it's still new-in-box? If so, that would be a great idea, and I would definitely do that -- pass DD's seat to the baby and use the return money to get a new seat for DD, whether it's a convertible with higher limits or a combination seat.

Yes :)

abh413

Are you able to return the Boulevard?

No, we've been using that in Grandma's car so we wouldn't have to switch in & out.

I looked at the Diono last night. It doesn't seem to have much side protection. I really like how low & inside of the Britax my DD sits. Especially given that I drive an older car that doesn't have extra side protection. Is this a necessary concern?

Keeanh

You've already done well to get her to 2.5 RF. If it were me in that situation I would return / sell a Blvd and get a taller seat. You'll be able to pass it down so it will get plenty of use.

Eta. I see the blvd is in use. I'm sure you can still get your money's worth out of the blvds for your son now and as a FF seat later.

hrice

No, we've been using that in Grandma's car so we wouldn't have to switch in & out.

I looked at the Diono last night. It doesn't seem to have much side protection. I really like how low & inside of the Britax my DD sits. Especially given that I drive an older car that doesn't have extra side protection. Is this a necessary concern?

Rear facing offers tremendous side imapct protection. Radians appear to have no sides in pictures but they are 5 or so inches deep. I have no worries about my kids in their Radians. You can see them in my siggy pic.

Phineasmama

I was going to suggest the Radian too. If you get the RXT it has the side wings for side impact protection. But as the PPs mentioned, rear facing is still going to be a TON safer with a seat that is less deep, than forward facing would be with a seat that is very deep. I'd be much more worried about the maturity of her spine at that age, and FFing is a much bigger risk for neck injuries. Not to mention that the Diono seats have steel frames anyways.

Anyways, my 3 year old son is 1/2 inches taller than your daughter, also has a very long torso and short little legs, and he still has probably 4-5 inches of growing room above his head in the Radian. He also just outgrew the Marathon rfing recently.

So IF you want to keep your daughter RFing, which I would reccomend for a 2.5 year old, I think a radian will last you a long time.

abh413

What is the main concern for my DD's head to be at the 1 in mark? I've read that it could leave the top of her head unprotected during a crash. I guess I'm trying to weigh the risk/reward of too close to the top of the shell vs continuing RF in the Britax Blvd for another month or so while I figure this thing out. Assuming there isn't a massive growth spurt during that time, of course. (Money will need to be saved to purchase a new carseat if I go that route.) If you had to choose, what is more important? Keeping her RF or protecting the top of her head if she exceeds the 1 inch mark slightly by turning her FF?

Brianna

The concern is ramping up the seat, allowing her head to strike the vehicle seat behind it, I'm sure among other things. (Around 1:50 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo"]here[/ame] you can see it)

If she has exactly 1" above her head, she can continue to rear face until she grows a little bit more. The easiest way for me to measure 1" is to find a combo of two hard books that total 1", and put the books on top of kiddo's head to see exactly how much room is left.

You may find that by adjusting the installation angle (within the allowed ranges) that she might gain or lose some room.

atw

Just a mom who had a similar situation weighing in... Really similar--kids sizes, blvd, ages and everything. I'm not sure what my daughters torso height is, but found she had quite a bit more rm in the blvd than I thought when I did measure her correctly, but it's not the 70 either. Regardless, I opted for a radian because of my fast-growing, larger son. I wanted the opportunity to rf him to at least 2, and it seems less likely in blvd. we love our britaxes, but find the radian easy peasy too. I hope try layperson erf viewpoint helps! It was a good investment for us to add the seat. Good luck!

abh413

Ok... After following the tips/instructions in this thread regarding measuring properly, my DD has more room than I originally thought. Thank you for pointing that out to me!

I really want my DD to stay RF for awhile longer. I may end up having to get another carseat. But I'm glad she has more room in the Blvd, because I really don't have the cash right now.

Thank you all for the great advice!

NannyMom

Ok... After following the tips/instructions in this thread regarding measuring properly, my DD has more room than I originally thought. Thank you for pointing that out to me!

I really want my DD to stay RF for awhile longer. I may end up having to get another carseat. But I'm glad she has more room in the Blvd, because I really don't have the cash right now.

Thank you all for the great advice!

I was just coming to say that if her seated height is only 20.5in, I'd be surprised if she really only had 1 inch above her head ;) Glad it'll last longer than you thought :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC