IF there were a US seat that went to 40 lbs or more rear-facing would you buy it?....

Would you buy such a seat?

• I have a child who wouldl fit in it rear-facing and I would buy it.

Votes: 121 71.6%
  • I have a child who would fit rear-facing and I wouldn't buy it.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I don't have a child who would fit rear-facing but I would buy it anyway!

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • I don't have a child who would fit in it and wouldn't buy it.

Votes: 9 5.3%

• Total voters

solmama

Yes, I would have bought it for my dd. She was 30 lbs at 2 and it would have been worth if for her. But, for my ds, who is 2.5 and only 28-9lbs, it wouldn't really matter. I think that, in the future, we will need seats with higher rf limits just to get some kids to the age of 2.

ADS

Andie

Yes, I would buy it. I'm really hoping by the time Colton gets to the rear facing limits, there will be new seats out that go to 40+. He's my tiny peanut, he's 10 mo, and only 16 1/2 lbs, ATM.

U

Unregistered1

As long as A would still fit by height.

Actually I'd buy it anyways because I'd just want one, LOL.

Maedze

Heck yeah!

I was actually brainstorming last night :whistle:

You know how it seems people might be rear facing longer thanks to the SS1? I've noticed moms with kids who are at least a year old, maybe more, in their infant seats. If you have a seat that fits and works parents are less likely to run out and buy a new one, right?

So what if manufacturers designed an 'infant' seat that was rear facing ONlY but to 40 pounds?! It could be like the Tru-fit...a head rest to remove when they're very small, and a carrying handle. Then once the baby reached a certain weight, say 30 pounds, the handle is removed and the head rest is attached.

If you could buy ONE seat at birth that would get you to three and a half/four years old rear facing, wouldn't that be great?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I just had to laugh, because I posted this:

I'm not sure how to vote. It wouldn't work for me now, so I wouldn't buy one. But if I had a kid who would fit, I would most likely get it. I definitely think it would be a great option.

three days before I became unexpectedly pregnant. So I guess I need one now :)

MissAllyLou

I don't remember seeing this before, but I so need one!!! Maggie is only 15 months old, but she's already 28 pounds!!! She only has 7 more pounds to gain before she turns 2!

PixieEMT

I pray every day that someone takes that big leap and releases a 40lb limit seat!

You would think that Britax or SKJP would due to *most* people using those seats are car seat junkies.

What really tweeks my melon is the fact Graco makes that ATKA seat for Europe and all we get is the Crappy Sport Convertible!!!!!:hitselfonhead:

laccaycol

Still wanting to import one:D so if one came out then heck yes i would buy it. Colton will be 2 next month and is around 26 pounds will find out for sure at his 2 year but its getting close. So one needs to come out really soon. I would love to keep him RF to 4 at least. Why cant Britax just bring over their seats:confused: how hard can it really be :shrug-shoulders:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I didn't vote because the options seemed too vaguely worded -- my kid wouldn't fit a 40# RF seat so I wouldn't buy it now . . . but when she was 35# I absolutely would have (assuming I could afford it & it would fit my vehicle correctly)

PixieEMT

I don't remember seeing this before, but I so need one!!! Maggie is only 15 months old, but she's already 28 pounds!!! She only has 7 more pounds to gain before she turns 2!

She should slow down a bit. My son was 29ish pounds back in February at 17months old. He just hit 33lbs now at his 2 y/o check up. Hopefully we can get until Christmas RFing.

My mom keeps giving me a hard time about turning him FF. :rolleyes: She thinks he's ready and it will be easier for my pregnant to put him in the car seat. :rolleyes:
I can't wait to show her that story about the little boy Joel.

SPJ&E

I wouldn't buy it. The 33 lb. limit on our seats easily gets my tall, skinny boys to 3+ years old and I'm happy with that.

Now if I had heavier kids, my answer would probably be different.

tiggercat

It'd have to be Canadian too :)

I'm not sure, it would depend on our needs at the time. If there had been one out when Megan was born, I would have bought it, and she would still be rearfacing. When I had to turn her FF at 2 yrs old and 30lbs (weight limit of the CDN MA), I would probably have bought a 40lbs RF seat for her. At 3 yrs old and 34ish lbs, I don't think I would go out and buy one to turn her back RF. I did consider getting her a True Fit to RF her to 35lbs though, so who knows.

Holly

If I had a child who was bigger at a younger age, I would.
My girls now, no I wouldn't. My personal max for rfing is 3 years old (unless they are a special needs child) and my 3 year old is only 30 lbs but ffing.
My 2 year old is 26 lbs, she is getting turned around at 2 1/2, but maybe even when my baby comes if it helps us to be able to get all 3 kids in.
If I had, say a baby who was like 30 lbs at one year old, yes I would buy a 40 lbs RF limit seat.

scatterbunny

I would absolutely get one if I had a child who would fit. H hit 40 pounds at 3y4mo (was 35 pounds at 2.5, 39 pounds on her 3rd birthday), and I would have loved the opportunity to keep her RF until 3y4mo. I didn't learn about the benefits of rear-facing beyond the minimum 1yo/20# until she was already 33 pounds, and very long-torsoed. I don't think she could have fit the Dorel convertibles heightwise for those last two pounds, so we focused on a forward-facing higher weight harnessed seat, since we knew she'd hit 40 pounds at 3.

theshapeshifter

Well, for me it'd have to be a Canadian seat, but yes, I'd love that - as long as it could accommodate a tall child! Duncan is 15.5 months and hovering around the 30lb mark, so although his weight gain has slowed down a bit in the last couple of months, right now I'm just hoping his True Fit can get him to 2. Going by his growth curve predicts that he'll hit 40lbs shortly after turning 3 - I would LOVE to be able to RF him till then!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I voted no because I don't have a child that can fit a 40lb seat anyways. Now if it had been available back when my girls were smaller then yes I would have considered it.

loufrando

I would buy it. My dream rfing goal would be the Swedish model- rf to age 4 minimum- and I think a 40 lb seat would allow alot of kids in the US to do so (although my dd1 would have needed even a higher limit than that- she hit 40 lbs at age 3).

I totally agree with the pp about the higher limit seats needing to be designed like the Swedish ones- with the leg room and sitting up straighter. It would be very difficult to rf much past say, age 3 in a US style seat. Come on manufacturers! You already make these seats! Just test them, label them and bring 'em on over already!!!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I voted the 2nd choice, I have a child that would fit & wouldn't buy it.

My kids don't hit 35lbs until pretty much 4yrs old. I'm perfectly fine with ff'ing a 3 or 4yr old kid who weighs 35lbs. I don't know that I would rf past 4yrs old anyways even if I could unless I had a child who wanted to stay rf'ing.

Now if I had a kid who would be 40lbs before 3yrs old, I'd feel differently & might buy a 40lb limit seat to get to 3. ;)

Yoshi

I have a child that would fit (42 lbs) but I wouldn't buy it. Before I get flamed, I would buy one IF she had been RF all along since birth and didn't know any different.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC