IF there were a US seat that went to 40 lbs or more rear-facing would you buy it?....

Would you buy such a seat?

• I have a child who wouldl fit in it rear-facing and I would buy it.

Votes: 121 71.6%
  • I have a child who would fit rear-facing and I wouldn't buy it.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I don't have a child who would fit rear-facing but I would buy it anyway!

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • I don't have a child who would fit in it and wouldn't buy it.

Votes: 9 5.3%

• Total voters

fyrfightermomma

I would not. Only because my kids are peanuts. My oldest will fit RFing by weight to probably 6 or 7, height probably 5 or 6. She's all legs.

My youngest is a little larger but just like her sister, stopped gaining around 9 months (her 9 mo appt she was 22, her 15 month she was 22.5) so she will fit a long time also.

However, for me to even consider it, it would have to be designed like the Swedish RFing seats, not the US seats. The US seats cause kids over 3 or so to be so scrunched up its so hard to get them in. The swedish seats have awesome leg room and its almost like sitting FFing because theres a "well" where their legs can go straight down. Very cool!! (well I only saw two pics of seats like that, not sure if they are all like that)

A seat designed like ours that went to 40 lbs or higher? Nope. Wouldn't RF past age 3 or 4 in it.

A seat designed like swedish seats?? Definately until they outgrew it :)

ADS

Mama!

Absolutely. DS would be RF again in an instant.

*cough cough* to all the Carseat manufacturers who read here.:whistle:

Auntie2Avi

Yes, but now Avi is hovering around 41-42 lbs so I would be very frustrated. It would also have to go pretty tall, because he has a very long torso. He has asked me if he could be RF when I have put seats RF in my car for other children. He could have been RF until he was 3 if there was a 40 lb RF seat.

kate4478

where's the little clicky button? i'm undecided! i do have a ds under 40 lbs, but i'll decide when the time comes. if ds follows the way dh and i grew he would be still rf at 6 or 7 ish.

ProudMomof5

I voted that I do have a child that would fit in it and I'd buy it.... BUT I don't know if I'd put my child in it RF until they are 40lbs. I'd buy it if it was a really good carseat and worked for FF too, and it was really cute. I'd probably RF until about 30 lbs though.

monstah

I would buy 2 and start DS on a diet of salad and bread to lose 1 or 2 pounds!
Just kidding, I would buy one though!

my2kidsSafe

possibly, but it wouldn't work for us right now as ds is only 18 months and forward facing:( since he suffers from serious carsickness. And was losing weight. I turned him a month ago, and it seems like he already put on 5 lbs in that month. So i don't think i would with him. DD suffered from it a bit, and does get sick occasionally even forward facing. I would possibly do it because at 4 she could tell me she was going to get sick and even self contain it.

April

I voted the first option. Riley is only 22 months and he is 32lbs clothed and fed. So yeah, with a chunky monkey like him, for sure. Then I could have at least got to 2.5 or 3 rf with him. Hell, I could've at least got to 2!

I agree with the OP though...I would love love love to have rf seats like the Swedish ones. I still don't get why they don't make seats like that for us.

Oh, and I'm in Canada, so it would have to be a CDN seat :p

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't think I would. Even the 35 lb limit on the EFTA is overkill for us. At 3 she's only 30 pounds and I'm sure she will outgrow it by height before weight. Unless it has a nice tall shell, but I can't forsee a seat with a very tall shell fitting in cars. The Radian had plenty of room but it didn't work well in my van RF'ing.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper's been asking to. She fits in the Fixway still, which has a 40 pound limit. So if it was tall enough (the Radian sure as heck is, and probably the Recaros, and maybe even the EFTA. No doubt the TF, but I haven't seen one yet to try).

She'll be six at the end of the month, and at four pounds a year growth, she'd be seven before she'd have to FF by weight in a 40 pound seat.

Wendy

minismom

Hell yeah! Obviously like some people said it'd have to last longer by height too. But yeah, I'd buy any seat that'd allow dd to RF longer!

lemurmommies

I would for sure, but then I have a 31 pound 18 month old. So I know he will outgrow our True Fit by weight before height, no question. With his rate of gain, I'll be lucky to make it to 2 years RF in his seat.

Kat_Momof3

Okay... I don't have a child who would fit... Ruthie's over 40lbs... and so my answer wasn't there...

She doesn't fit, but if a seat came that WOULD fit her rearfacing... I'd buy it (if I had the money).

If a seat had come out rearfacing to 40lbs back when she was outgrowing other rf seats, I would have bought it... if for no other reason than she loved being rearfacing and was so scared at first ff.

Lara

well, it would have to be a more than 40 lb seat, but yes I would buy it. I need a spare seat for dbf's car so she can be rf there too!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Definitely yes! If Nadia wanted to ride rear facing, I'd let her (she's 5; I wouldn't push the issue, but I suspect she'd want to if I gave her the chance), and then Kira could use the seat when she outgrows her RF Roundabout. I'd love to keep her rear facing 4-5 years.

emandbri

I'm bumping this up because I want the manufactures to see it! ;)

Elizabeth is now 32 lbs :( Her seat goes to 35 lbs rear-facing but my spares go to 33. Luckily I don't put her in the spares very often, if I have to take Brian's car I'll move her seat over.

Amaris

I would buy it. Dd went to the doctor for an ear infection last week and was 25lbs. She has her 15 months checkup Monday so we will see how fast she is gaining. Right now I'm just hoping to make it to 2yrs in her marathon (33lb limit).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC