I imported a carseat, and it is certified as compliant?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Not because of French language. Technically this seat does not comply with French language requirements, yet apparently meets CMVSS standards.. (a little flaw with that logic).. It was recalled because of incorrect weights. My seat, however, has the correct weight limits. The Canadian versions have incorrect weight limits as they were labelled with US weights.

Check your recall lists. It was recalled 2004-2006 and corrected for 2007. Took three years to be discovered!

-Nicole.

ADS

snowbird25ca

:whistle:

Think of what happens when you import a vehicle...
Think built in restraint...
Think recall for weight related mis-labeling in Canadian vehicles of a built in restraint...

hipmaman

lol I totally suck at this game tonight. I missed that clue too :) Is yours actually min. weight of 33 lbs? If so, I'll shut up and not say another word ;)

QuassEE

Judi, you're not Canadian ;)

Volvo built-in booster. When I got my TC certification on my Volvo, it states that the vehicle is CMVSS compliant. It is, and it isn't..it's still missing French labelling, etc. I wonder if the RIV is aware that they're not technically able to say built-in carseats are compliant? They are reg'd under a different section from regular seats, however.

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

And on that note, this is a technical question for Allport if this post happens to be seen. ;)

Are built-in vehicle restraints required to be crash-tested? I know they fall under a different section of CMVSS 213, so I'm thinking that they actually are crash tested - just not in the way we'd associate - rather with an AMD restrained in the child restraint when the vehicle is being crash tested. How does that work for a booster given that current regulations don't state any dynamic requirements of boosters? 5 pt harness built-in's I'd expect still have to pass the chest G's and head excursion standards, and the webbing and hardware would have to be compliant as well...

But I'm puzzled on the booster part. ;)

April

Dammit, I figured it out right before I read Judi's post. (My train of thought...XC90...booster...XC90 was imported...Volvo built in booster!!!) Dammit,I'm too slow. Judi, you should be disqualified. That or you should tell me what they did to the Frontier as a consolation prize... :D

QuassEE

And my question is this..

How do you think I would do, were I pulled over using the built-in booster, having the statement of vehicle compliance with me?

-Nicole.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Dammit, I figured it out right before I read Judi's post. (My train of thought...XC90...booster...XC90 was imported...Volvo built in booster!!!) Dammit,I'm too slow. Judi, you should be disqualified. That or you should tell me what they did to the Frontier as a consolation prize... :D

hmgfmm hmdgmhm mmgfdmdm

April

hmgfmm hmdgmhm mmgfdmdm

Wait, could that be an acronym with details of the FR changes hidden in it?!

Nicole, you'd do fine if you got pulled over. I mean first, they're not going to check a built in as long as you don't have say...Des' baby in it. Second, the people who might pull you over know you. And third, if they don't know you, flash your fancy CRST-I card and they'll cower in shame for questioning you. :grin:

QuassEE

This reminds me of my favourite joke when we talk about smuggling strollers and carseats.

There was this Customs guard who dealt with a man every day of the week throughout his entire career, crossing the border. The staff knew the man was smuggling something but everytime they searched his suitcase, they came up empty handed. Finally, after years and years of this, the Customs guard was retiring. It was his last day.

The man comes through that day, and the Customs guard says.."Okay, I've watched for years and wondered..we all know you're smuggling something, but for the life of us we cannot figure out what. Indulge an old man on his retirement day, and tell me...What are you smuggling?"

"Suitcases."

-Nicole.

featherhead

This reminds me of my favourite joke when we talk about smuggling strollers and carseats.

There was this Customs guard who dealt with a man every day of the week throughout his entire career, crossing the border. The staff knew the man was smuggling something but everytime they searched his suitcase, they came up empty handed. Finally, after years and years of this, the Customs guard was retiring. It was his last day.

The man comes through that day, and the Customs guard says.."Okay, I've watched for years and wondered..we all know you're smuggling something, but for the life of us we cannot figure out what. Indulge an old man on his retirement day, and tell me...What are you smuggling?"

"Suitcases."

-Nicole.

love that one!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC