I got a Safety First Complete Air! (PICS!)

cookie123

Is it really 17 inches in width? Is that not comparable to the Radian? I wonder if I could sell my Radians and get this instead and fit the TBs next to it on either side.

OP - did you try any seats next to it yet?

ADS

singingpond

>> the shell itself is about 17" wide (the widest part of the back of the seat is also about 17" wide) <<

above from the first post on the thread

Can OP or anyone else confirm that this is really the widest measurment on the outside of the seat (both on the backrest, and on the seating area)? If so, that is really relatively narrow for a HWH seat, and would be of importance to those of us needing to do 3-across...

menfusse

I have no logical reason for having this seat. I have an XT that is only a few months old, so it RF to 40lbs and it fits dd great. But for whatever reason, I want air pillows! I WANT this seat! I mean for that matter, we'll never meet the 40lbs weight limit cuz my kid is too puny. But stillll...I wwwannnnnnnt. At least I'll get to play next week. I'll be in Lex. KY and another poster said that store had them in stock now.

Mommy0608

I'm going to get my two seats as soon as my kids wake up from nap! I called this morning and they have them, told the guy I pre-ordered and wanted to make sure my seats were being held. He wouldn't even take my name, he just assured me there were "enough" there that I would be able to get them. I guess I have to keep it in perspective... probably not EVERYone around me is a geek like me rushing out to get it.

I'll start a separate thread when I get pics of my kids in the seats. :thumbsup:

Madeline410

Is it really 17 inches in width? Is that not comparable to the Radian? I wonder if I could sell my Radians and get this instead and fit the TBs next to it on either side.

OP - did you try any seats next to it yet?

>> the shell itself is about 17" wide (the widest part of the back of the seat is also about 17" wide) <<

above from the first post on the thread

Can OP or anyone else confirm that this is really the widest measurment on the outside of the seat (both on the backrest, and on the seating area)? If so, that is really relatively narrow for a HWH seat, and would be of importance to those of us needing to do 3-across...

P1010091.jpg

about 16.5" with the cover compressed

IMG_0848a.jpg

sorry it's a little crooked.. it's about 16"

P1010028.jpg

This would be a little less with the cover compressed, so about 16.5" here too

IMG_0853.jpg

The bottom was hard to get a pic of.. I couldn't get the measuring tape close enough to the widest part to get an accurate measurement. It's about 16" at this point.. probably about 17.5-18" toward the front of the base.

I did get the CA installed RF next to a FF Blvd but I was using an '01 Focus so it wasn't easy lol. I imagine with a bigger back seat, they would puzzle nicely.
P1010096.jpg

P1010098.jpg

Sorry it took so long to get these posted, we had a hectic day.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Wow, I LOVE it! I thought the price was a little much for a Cosco seat, but I'm thinking I was wrong. :) I liked the MR65, but Evan is right at the too tall to rf mark and he's only 34#. This seat would last longer than his Radian I bet, but it was still cheaper, lol. Oh wow, I want to go play w/ it, I wonder if we have it here. We're always behind on getting seats.

singingpond

about 16.5" with the cover compressed

sorry it's a little crooked.. it's about 16"

This would be a little less with the cover compressed, so about 16.5" here too

The bottom was hard to get a pic of.. I couldn't get the measuring tape close enough to the widest part to get an accurate measurement. It's about 16" at this point.. probably about 17.5-18" toward the front of the base.

Thank you -- this is very helpful! So the seat really is fairly narrow. Even the 17.5-18" near the front of seating area is still pretty modest compared to some of the other HWH seats out there. Hmmm....

romanoma

Man, I'm being won over I think...

I never thought I'd like a cosco seat.

At first I was like "air pillows, meh". I have head wings.

Only 50lbs FF? Radian is better.

Then I was like "$250!! No way for a cosco seat! I'd rather have a radian any day of the week for that price!!"
(The price is what makes the myride awesome IMO)

Then I thought, it would be nice to not be so reclined, but really, 250 for a cosco seat? Still no.

But man, only 17-18 inches wide AND an 8 yr lifespan?!?!?! I have to hand it to dorel, it seems they really thought of it all when they made this seat (except FF wt limit). I am starting to soften. And with a BRU 15% off coupon, it stings less...

Could I really buy a dorel seat?!?!?

My last reservation... Is it really safe to use the seat to the top of the head wings without shell behind the head? AND without 1" over the head? That is not one, but 2 big no-no's from other carseats on the market, so it's in my head that it's not safe. Do we trust Dorel on this? What could they do to the head wings to make them strong enough for a heavier child, without carseat shell, and without 1" over the head? What do the experts think? This just feels "wrong" to me... I know it was tested and passed, but still, what does "pass" mean?

kandamom

My last reservation... Is it really safe to use the seat to the top of the head wings without shell behind the head? AND without 1" over the head? That is not one, but 2 big no-no's from other carseats on the market, so it's in my head that it's not safe. Do we trust Dorel on this? What could they do to the head wings to make them strong enough for a heavier child, without carseat shell, and without 1" over the head? What do the experts think? This just feels "wrong" to me... I know it was tested and passed, but still, what does "pass" mean?

I was wondering the same thing...When I called to ask about the 40" rf height limit, I was told that it was because that is what had been tested. Was this crash test dummy all torso? Did they actually test it with the head at the top of the head wings? I can't imagine a 40" child with a torso that long.:confused:

I was going back and forth between this and a radian, and I ended up going with the radian because of the 40" height limit for rf for the complete air. If I were sure that the seat had been tested with the dummy's head at the top, I might have been more inclined to use it past 40". DS seems to like his radian, and I'm pretty sure it will last longer ff, anyway. I still kind of want a complete air.:whistle:

Rebecca

Madeline410

Hmm.. well the headrest doesn't go above the shell entirely. In it's highest setting, only 2" of the headrest is above the shell, so it is still supported kwim? DS is 38" tall and he has TONS of height left RF. With the way DS grows, he will probably hit 40# before he's at the top of the headrest.

snack

I bought mine! Two actually. I got them for 190 each (tax included). They had NO idea how to ring them with the preorder forms. The kids are eating lunch when they're done... I'll be trying them out in the seats. SOOO excited!

romanoma

Hmm.. well the headrest doesn't go above the shell entirely. In it's highest setting, only 2" of the headrest is above the shell, so it is still supported kwim? DS is 38" tall and he has TONS of height left RF. With the way DS grows, he will probably hit 40# before he's at the top of the headrest.

So with 2" of headrest above the shell, that would be 3" over what other carseats allow (with 1" of shell still above the head)

If it was only tested with a 40" dummy, I doubt it was tested the way it is being listed. My 39.5" DS has lots of room still in his radian, but I'm not sure what I would consider a safe height in this seat...

I might believe this new guideline if the seat were steel reinforced or something. Anyone know if it is?

U

Unregistered1

I don't think there is really any way to test whether it's safe for the top of the head to be that high on the current NHTSA test bench since there is no front seat. Remember those infant seat videos of the dummies who fit but still had head injuries from downward rotation hitting the front seat? That would be my concern - ramping up and downward rotation causing the head to hit the back of the front seat. A more upright install obviously helps with this and I think I WOULD be comfortable using the top of the head rest as a guideline rather than just the shell, but I think I'd stop at at least 1" from the top of the head rest. Still gives us plenty of room RF.

I really don't know how I feel when comparing to the RN XT. Methinks the jury is still out, which is ok, because if A's little bro is anything like her, he won't be 40 lbs for another 7 years!

cookie123

I kind of want one. It may work with my 3 across issues. I could give the Avenue or Radian to dd for Matthew when the MA expires. I guess I'll go to BrUS on Monday and try one out in my car!

It looks like the Avenue harness I have. Is it continuous? Can't recall if anyone said. Is it a pretty light seat? Or more sturdy feeling than the usual Cosco plastic? The biggest problem I forsee is the brown. Although I don't mind the color scheme, I don't like brown seats in my gray car!!

Maggie, thanks for all the questions answered and bothering with all the measuring and posting of pictures.

snack

The harness is continuous. The seat is heavier than the Avenue and comparable in weight to my BLVD and TFs. I just went out and installed them but couldn't get two SBS RF. They're in rock solid though (outboard with seatbelts) and I had a more difficult time installing these than I did the TFs. I'll have to get pics of the girls in the seats after their nap. :thumbsup:

fyrfightermomma

So with 2" of headrest above the shell, that would be 3" over what other carseats allow (with 1" of shell still above the head)

If it was only tested with a 40" dummy, I doubt it was tested the way it is being listed. My 39.5" DS has lots of room still in his radian, but I'm not sure what I would consider a safe height in this seat...

I might believe this new guideline if the seat were steel reinforced or something. Anyone know if it is?

Judging by the height of the seat and the weight limit, chances are there would be very few children light enough but tall enough to have their head at the top of the headrest. They may allow it, but unless you have the freaky concentration camp tall child(which I do), I don't think any child under 40 lbs is gonna be at the top of that headrest. I mean, look how much room her kid still has.

I don't think its gonna be much of an issue.

A. Very few people will rear face a child tall enough to max out the height limit. I don't even see how a child that tall would physically fit leg wise or be comfortable.

B. Even if a child was that tall, I highly doubt they would still be under 40 lbs for very long after that.

I'm not worried about them "breaking" the rules. Britax allowed head even with the top of the shell forever and then changed it to match everyone else. With a properly tightened harness and the majority of time having a seat in front of you, I don't see too much damage being done from ramping up and hitting the seat in front of them. Not to mention, those seats are made for us to whack our heads on in an accident.

I've been on multiple accidents with children WAY too tall in infant seats not properly tightened (or installed) and have yet to see any injured by striking the front seat. I'm sure it happens, but realistically even with improperly installed seats those injuries are few and far between. With a properly installed seat, I don't see it happening much at all

And if there is some shell behind the headrest supporting it (kinda like a top of the ear things with other seats) it should be enough head support from the shell, even with the headrest raised. It's not like the headrest is completely out of the shell or anything

jujumum

Thank you for all these pics! I never thought I could fall in :love: with a dorel seat, but this one looks great. I can't wait till my BRU gets it in stock.

I don't know how they came up with the name Mckenna for the grey one, though - I hear Mckenna, and I think of pretty girl covers. Not grey.

The Harvest you have looks awesome (and the name suits it perfectly). I was hoping for some girly covers - but if the headrest cover can't come off, then I think I'll need a unisex cover so dd can pass it on to ds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC