How's the fit? DD 5y3m old in Monterey

daniele_ut

I've been toying with the idea that I need to booster train DD in preparation for Kindergarten and carpooling starting in the fall so I picked up a Monterey last week during the Kohl's sale. I needed something to replace my beloved old style Parkway that expired a few months ago. It works very well in the captains chairs and in the 3rd row center of my 2010 Grand Caravan, but not great outboard. I'm wondering if I should keep it knowing it won't work outboard. My justification is that it works in the 3 LATCH positions and it's such a heavy booster that I'd rather have it LATCHed all the time anyway. And, I'm a sucker for an orange car seat! I'm wondering, though, if it wouldn't make more sense to buy an Amp instead knowing that it would work in any seating position, but I just feel better about DD in a more substantial booster. Irrational, I'm sure, given that my 8 year old rides in a much flimsier Turbo in the center of the backseat right now, but he outweighs her by 25lbs! I only have 3 kids so we don't usually have to put anyone outboard in the back row. I'm just planning for contingencies.

Anyway, how's the fit? DD is about 42.5" tall and 35lbs. She normally rides in a Nautilus in harness mode. Please ignore the unbrushed hair!

ADS

Carolinadaisy

I'm not super knowledgeable about boosters. But, from this photo, it looks like the lap belt might be a tad high. I can't tell for sure. I love this seat....I may be ordering for my 5 yr old son to booster train before Kindy as well. My guy is a little bigger at 40 lbs and about 45". He loves orange and I'm curious to see how he fits in a Monterey.

Baylor

That looks good to me! Looks like the belt is touching top of thighs??

I love that seat. I want to get another one.

She is beautiful!

ETA: Have you tried to put in the wings a little, Closer to her? and the headrest down one? I love that I can adjust so much and get it perfect for each of the kids.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Looks like it's great on the lap (see how it's parallel to the ground on the side of her hip? A bad fit will usually be more up-down/vertical right about there). The shoulderbelt makes her tiny little shoulder look so small and her head look so big, though, doesn't it? Protected nicely enough, but it just reminds me that kids proportions are so different from adults!)

featherhead

Looks like it's great on the lap (see how it's parallel to the ground on the side of her hip? A bad fit will usually be more up-down/vertical right about there). The shoulderbelt makes her tiny little shoulder look so small and her head look so big, though, doesn't it? Protected nicely enough, but it just reminds me that kids proportions are so different from adults!)

:yeahthatlove: I was thinking how narrow her shoulders look. The belt is definitely centred on her shoulder, so that is good.

daniele_ut

Carolinadaisy said:
I'm not super knowledgeable about boosters. But, from this photo, it looks like the lap belt might be a tad high. I can't tell for sure. I love this seat....I may be ordering for my 5 yr old son to booster train before Kindy as well. My guy is a little bigger at 40 lbs and about 45". He loves orange and I'm curious to see how he fits in a Monterey.

I'm a sucker for orange! I've owned 3 orange strollers too. It's hard to see in the pic but the lap belt is definitely on her thighs.

Baylor said:
That looks good to me! Looks like the belt is touching top of thighs??

I love that seat. I want to get another one.

She is beautiful!

ETA: Have you tried to put in the wings a little, Closer to her? and the headrest down one? I love that I can adjust so much and get it perfect for each of the kids.
You know, I haven't played with the wings, thanks for the reminder and for the compliment! So far I really like the seat. I think it's a keeper.

joolsplus3 said:

She is definitely a skinny minnie. You're right, her head does look kind of huge in that picture!

Carolinadaisy

How do you think this seat would work in a car with no adjustable headrests like the nub ones. Both of our current vehicles have those (2007 Nissan Altima & 2002 Honda Accord). We won't always have both of these....hoping to upgrade to a van in a year or 2. But have to work wit our current cars until then.

Thanks!

daniele_ut

Both of my booster riders are still at school but here is a picture of it buckled. The belt actually slides pretty freely in this spot with the headrest in this position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC